Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Political Journalism

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Political Journalism

I listened to the Last Word presented today, by Matt Cooper, in an interview with Dr. Joe Barry on the proposed legislation in relation to Liquor Laws he allowed the IMO spokesman to rant on about what he was opposed to in the legislation. Matt Cooper did not even ask once about what the IMO might favour, propose, recommend, suggest etc.

Mr. Cooper why did you not put the simple question, maybe this is a regular fault of the broadcaster? Bye the way I favour the introduction of Café Bars, maybe the Minister should grasp the nettle and force a showdown with Fianna Fail backbenchers on this and other issues

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The duty of the political journalist is to separate the wheat from the chaff; and print the chaff.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Political Journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophile
    I listened to the Last Word presented today, by Matt Cooper, in an interview with Dr. Joe Barry on the proposed legislation in relation to Liquor Laws he allowed the IMO spokesman to rant on about what he was opposed to in the legislation. Matt Cooper did not even ask once about what the IMO might favour, propose, recommend, suggest etc.

Mr. Cooper why did you not put the simple question, maybe this is a regular fault of the broadcaster? Bye the way I favour the introduction of Café Bars, maybe the Minister should grasp the nettle and force a showdown with Fianna Fail backbenchers on this and other issues
    Political journalism (in Ireland at least) seems to require asking tough questions agressively of a guest. I didn't hear the interview, but at this stage, most people who deal with the media have recognised this and have learned to say what they want, with little regard for the question. In this case, he could say what they were opposed to and without a break, go on to say what they thought would present a better alternative.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge
    ...most people who deal with the media have recognised this and have learned to say what they want, with little regard for the question.
    There is only one who is never defeated in such a fashion. Unfortunately he belongs to the beeb.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XRoot
    ...most people who deal with the media have recognised this and have learned to say what they want, with little regard for the question.
    There is only one who is never defeated in such a fashion. Unfortunately he belongs to the beeb.

What a guy! For anyone who missed the Galloway interview he did - here's the link. Bad journalism, but great stuff all the same!

Even with Paxman, most people answer the question and move onto what they see as an alternative

Did anyone see the last Paxman interview with Martin McGuinness? I thought it was quite offensive, but no complaints!!!

Helen of Troy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helen of Troy
    Did anyone see the last Paxman interview with Martin McGuinness? I thought it was quite offensive, but no complaints!!!
    Yeah, saw that one. Contrast it with the fawning interview style of one of RTE's most pathetic excuses for "journalists" - Gerald Barry. His interviews basically consist of him looking lovingly into the Shinners' eyes for 15 mins like a dewy-eyed spring bride.
    The Auschwitz interview with Martin McGuinness is one hilarious example
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophile
    Mr. Cooper why did you not put the simple question, maybe this is a regular fault of the broadcaster?
    In fairness to Cooper, he has come on a lot. He can occasionally savage a guest (like that hick Italian lawyer, representing Gilligan - from last night) but he still can sound like a lightweight, with endless cynical throwaway remarks and whinges.

The format of the programme still beats 5/7 Live hands down. I like George Hook.......but some of the slots can be very lengthy, and boring for stressed drive-time listeners like my good self.
    It was interesting to note that over 80% of Hook's listeners are men - so said the JNLR last week
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a guy! For anyone who missed the Galloway interview he did - here's the link. Bad journalism, but great stuff all the same!
    I only saw a bit of that interview before, but to see it in full was class. Galloway gave him his answer! Paxman is extremely arrogant, but that is his niche. I wouldn't pay any attention to what he says, he's just going for ratings. I didn't see the Martin McGuinness one, but let's not forget he tore shreds off Ken Maginnis too.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

A similar ambush of a politician was on Newstalk some morning last week where Ger Gilroy (standing in for Dunphy) and Vincent Browne ganged up on Tom Morrissey about the Colombia Three and make him look more than a little bit like a tossmonkey.

It made me LOL, and I don't usually LOL at that time in the morning.
    Failed liberal traitors: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast