Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Neo-Nazi' clothed Linfield fans attack man.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 'Neo-Nazi' clothed Linfield fans attack man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7322242.stm

It is claimed the trouble was started by some Linfield supporters after the Irish Cup semi-final with Cliftonville.

Reports suggest some attackers wore neo-Nazi gear and had English accents.

The victim's father-in-law said his injuries were horrific.

"He was on a life-support machine and for a time, we didn't know if he was going to live or die," he said.

"His throat has been cut, his face has been badly beaten, he has head injuries with stitches on his nose and is very badly bruised.

"He wasn't breathing when he arrived at hospital, and is very heavily sedated."

Linfield bosses have said it has not been confirmed that club supporters were involved in the attack.

---------------------

The Loyalist paramilitary community in Belfast enjoy a life unchallenged by unionist politicians while still armed.
    They have been caught distributing neo nazo leaflets through letterboxes and there has been an increase in neo-nazism recently with a lot of graffity in Belfast.
    Neo-naizi's have joined in loyalist marches also.
    This seems to be another sad disgraceful growing problem on the streets of Belfast which judging by the accents of the attackers could have over seas links to neo nazi groups.

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.p ... 5113734255
    http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/NeoNaz ... 3858692.jp
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Linfield should be treaed the same way that Liverpool was when their fans caused mayhem - they should fined heavily. As for the scum who carried out this atrocious act they should be forcibly sterilised to ensure they aren't capable of spawning others like them.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The links between loyalism and British facists are longstanding so I would not be surprised if this man had been attacked by Nazis from England and their local brethren. This has always been the true issue of the problems in the north. The northern statelet breeds sectarianism. It always has and always will. Even before the "troubles" Catholics were fair game to these type of thugs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu
    Linfield should be treaed the same way that Liverpool was when their fans caused mayhem - they should fined heavily. As for the scum who carried out this atrocious act they should be forcibly sterilised to ensure they aren't capable of spawning others like them.

SDLP councillor Margaret Walsh said the Irish Football Association should investigate the disturbances at the junction of King Street and Castle Street.

The 32-year-old victim suffered head and neck injuries.

The SDLP's Margaret Walsh said: " We need to call on the IFA to have a full investigation into what has happened.

"After all, if these are football supporters they (IFA) need to ensure that their supporters are acting in a proper way."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7321231.stm
    -----

The IFA have said they are working with the police, im not sure what Linfield are doing about it.
    This is extremely serious and Linfield should do more than just condemn this attack, they should make sure this problem does not increase and that these kind of 'fans' remain out of their club.
    Belfast is moving on and its a shame that these growing neo-nazi groups are gathering momentum .
    I dont know how they get people to support them but im sure theres a lot of brainwashing that goes on.

I think you're first suggestion will be all right for now
    "We believe in constitutional action in normal times; we believe in revolutionary action in exceptional times."

James Connolly,

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve

SDLP councillor Margaret Walsh said the Irish Football Association should investigate the disturbances at the junction of King Street and Castle Street.

The 32-year-old victim suffered head and neck injuries.

The SDLP's Margaret Walsh said: " We need to call on the IFA to have a full investigation into what has happened.

"After all, if these are football supporters they (IFA) need to ensure that their supporters are acting in a proper way."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7321231.stm
    -----

The IFA have said they are working with the police, im not sure what Linfield are doing about it.
    This is extremely serious and Linfield should do more than just condemn this attack, they should make sure this problem does not increase and that these kind of 'fans' remain out of their club.
    Belfast is moving on and its a shame that these growing neo-nazi groups are gathering momentum .
    I firstly condemn the attack, it was absolutely disgraceful and shouldn't have happened.

Linfield have condemned the attack, I heard Manager David Jefferies talk about this. I think its a bit early for a full response from the club on the actions they are going to take, seeing that no club supporters have been arrested or even charged.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope they help to prevent this problem from getting out of hand.
    If someone was attacked in a city i hope the police can catch the people who done it considering the amount of CCTV around, although as a victim of an unprovoked random assault myself i have fist hand experiance of how incredibly useless the PSNI are, an opinion shared by everyone ive ever met no matter what religion they are or if they 'support' them or not.

Where were the police when this happened anyway?
    I havent been to many football matches but when i do go to Croke park there seems to be a high presence of Garda for various reasons like directing people where to go, directing traffic and policing the large crowds.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They alighted from a bus that had been hired to take them from the Shankill to the match and then back again. Should be a fairly simple task to identify those on board and press attempted murder charges. The area is also festooned by CCTV cameras.

Make no mistake, this incident is being down played as much as possible. There will be a circling of the wagons to protect Linfield and the overtly sectarian nature of the attack and the behaviour of their fans.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well thats to be expected.

I was attacked once and although the man was caught on the scene and there were CCTV's everywhere the police still didnt prosecute the man.
    I hear of this happening all the time, the police need to get extra tough on violent crime but the general opinion of people imo is that they either tolerate it, dont want to know or they are desensitized to all these attacks and simply dont bother with the half of them.

More police are needed on the streets but the future policing budget is being cut by Westminster i belive.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apparently the attack was well orchastrated and involved a large number of people or a "mob".

I got this from irishrepublican.net site although i havent yet recieved a link to back it up...
    http://www.irishrepublican.net/forum/sh ... 259&page=3

------

A Celtic fan was seriously ill in hospital last night after his throat was slashed during a mass loyalist attack on a pub in central Belfast. The supporter was set upon by a mob of up to 70 Linfield fans returning from yesterday's Irish Cup semi-final clash with Cliftonville at The Oval.

Eyewitnesses in Castle Street - a mainly nationalist thoroughfare - said that at around 3.30pm the Linfield supporters alighted from a bus and rushed towards the area.

At first the mob tried to get into the Belfast Bar at the junction of Castle Street and King Street, but were repelled by up to 100 customers who had been watching the Celtic-Rangers Old Firm match on television.

'It was after the Linfield crowd were beaten back from the bar that they singled out a guy in King Street,' said one witness. 'They knew he was Catholic because of his Celtic shirt.'

A spokesman for the Police Service of Northern Ireland confirmed they had to deal with serious disturbances in central Belfast yesterday and that one man had had his throat cut. Up to eight PSNI jeeps were still patrolling the area late yesterday afternoon.

Leading Sinn Fein figures, including a former Lord Mayor of Belfast, Alex Maskey, and Bobby Storey, a former IRA prisoner and confidant of Gerry Adams, arrived at the scene shortly after to calm rising tensions

--------

Loyalists shouted neo-Nazi slogans
    The Irish News 31/03/08

Neo-nazi slogans were shouted along with sectarian insults by those involved in Saturday afternoon’s attack, witnesses said.

The gang, some of whom had English accents, were said to be dressed in black baseball caps and jackets and shouted ‘Combat 18’ as they approached the bar.

The Combat 18 group – which takes its name from the fact that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler’s initials were the first and eighth letters of the alphabet – has been responsible for violent attacks on ethnic minorities and immigrants in Britain and has also been linked to football violence. It has also been known to have sought to establish links with loyalist paramilitaries in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein assembly member Fra McCann said the attack was sinister.

“It doesn’t surprise me that these people were shouting about Combat 18. This attack was well organised with descriptions of men dressed in black,’’ Mr McCann said.

“There have been connections with ultra right-wing groups and loyalists for years and they are active around football in other areas.”

Belfast Lord Mayor Jim Rodgers condemned the violence, describing it as “appalling, sickening and disgusting”.

“It besmirches the good name of Belfast. No right-thinking football supporter would be involved in this nonsense. There are not enough police on the ground and too few police in Belfast city centre,” he said.

In a statement last night Cliftonville FC stressed that the violence did not involve any of their supporters.

The Irish Football Association condemned the attack.

Cliftonville manager Eddie Patterson was sent a bullet in the post last week. The package was intercepted at a sorting office. A PSNI investigation is under way.

The news was only released after Saturday’s cup semi-final in which Linfield beat Cliftonville by two goals to one. It was condemned by Linfield boss David Jeffrey.

Although the game passed off peacefully, there were reports that a UVF flag was flown in the crowd.

---------

The BBC news report on television made no mention of anything neo-nazi.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast