Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 35 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 597

Thread: Protesters outside the home of Simon Harris, wife and new-born baby

  1. #341
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    41,824
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Ted Crilly View Post
    Seriously...why bother?
    Boredom and it stops me from wanting to take over the world.
    Regards...jmcc

  2. #342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bang bang View Post
    Because it's bang out of order, people are entitled to feel safe in their homes, including politicians. It was a nasty scumbag thing to do, but you'd expect no less from the trots.
    It was a peaceful protest. So there was no reason for him not to have felt safe in his home.
    Repeal the 27th.

  3. #343
    Witch petaljam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Coven
    Posts
    31,330
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    It was a peaceful protest. So there was no reason for him not to have felt safe in his home.
    It's not just about him though is it? Why should his wife have to run the gauntlet of protesters however peaceful when she goes out? How is she responsible for his professional actions? It's her home too.

    It's always threatening because a peaceful group can stop being peaceful at any time. And she should not have to put up with that outside her home.
    KOBO

  4. #344
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Talamh an isc
    Posts
    11,213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    It's not just about him though is it? Why should his wife have to run the gauntlet of protesters however peaceful when she goes out? How is she responsible for his professional actions? It's her home too.

    It's always threatening because a peaceful group can stop being peaceful at any time. And she should not have to put up with that outside her home.
    Why is this so hard to understand? Off the job, politicians are just ordinary citizens in their home or when they eat out somewhere. Imagine groups of people outside our houses with placards about us. Would that just be a bit of harmless fun? If this trend continues to get more close and personal we will inevitably see a gradual segregation of the political class which would be a big loss for democracy. It will also deter many excellent candidates from such a career.

  5. #345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    It was a peaceful protest. So there was no reason for him not to have felt safe in his home.
    And if he had attempted to leave his home, would it have remained peaceful? Do you know that? No.

    It seems that you are determining that this was peaceful protest based on the assumption that they people in the house knew exactly what would happen before it did or didn't happen and based on the assumption also that they would stay in the house and not try to go about family business.

    If a man stood outside your house with a 12 inch blade peeling an orange and left after an hour, would you describe that as a peaceful protest?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

  6. #346
    Politics.ie Member artfoley56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    courtown, Dun Laoghaire
    Posts
    9,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    It will also deter many excellent candidates from such a career.
    well we've certainly been blessed with an absolute surfeit of those in the last number of years
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

  7. #347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    It's not just about him though is it? Why should his wife have to run the gauntlet of protesters however peaceful when she goes out? How is she responsible for his professional actions? It's her home too.

    It's always threatening because a peaceful group can stop being peaceful at any time. And she should not have to put up with that outside her home.
    By that logic we shouldn't allow any form of spontaneous protest, since there is always the possibility that it could turn violent.

    As far as his wife is concerned, the protest wasn't targeting her. It was targeting her husband for his actions (and inactions) which have had far worse consequences on people's lives than any annoyance or inconvenience she might have experienced. As long as the protest was peaceful, I don't see what her cause for complaint would be.
    Repeal the 27th.

  8. #348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    And if he had attempted to leave his home, would it have remained peaceful? Do you know that? No.

    It seems that you are determining that this was peaceful protest based on the assumption that they people in the house knew exactly what would happen before it did or didn't happen and based on the assumption also that they would stay in the house and not try to go about family business.

    If a man stood outside your house with a 12 inch blade peeling an orange and left after an hour, would you describe that as a peaceful protest?
    I'm determining that it was peaceful based on the reports of the protest. As opposed to assumptions based on hypothetical scenarios that didn't actually happen.
    Repeal the 27th.

  9. #349
    Politics.ie Member artfoley56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    courtown, Dun Laoghaire
    Posts
    9,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    By that logic we shouldn't allow any form of spontaneous protest, since there is always the possibility that it could turn violent.

    As far as his wife is concerned, the protest wasn't targeting her. It was targeting her husband for his actions (and inactions) which have had far worse consequences on people's lives than any annoyance or inconvenience she might have experienced. As long as the protest was peaceful, I don't see what her cause for complaint would be.
    the other point here I suppose is that any other joe soap wouldn't have the access to armed detectives and direct to garda station panic button that the harrises have.
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

  10. #350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I'm determining that it was peaceful based on the reports of the protest. As opposed to assumptions based on hypothetical scenarios that didn't actually happen.
    Yes, as I said, you are making a determination after the fact based on what is now known and based on your definition of what constitutes peaceful protest. At the time of the protest, the family could not have known how or when it would end. So, they did not know that it was a 'peaceful' protest. In fact, you are expecting them to hypothesise about the outcome and assume all would be peaceful, rather than deals with the facts as they were known to them then.

    Now, if a man stood outside your house with a 12 inch blade peeling an orange and left after an hour, would you describe that as a peaceful protest?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •