Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Irish entitled to charter Derry and Belfast?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are the Irish entitled to charter Derry and Belfast?

I am a staunch nationalist but I heard someone bring up the fact that Belfast was created by planters and it's made me think. Can republicans really complain of living under occupation in unionist-built cities or talking about a foreign presence when the cities wouldn't even exist without them? Yes the UI started there too but honestly it doesn't change the fact loyal prods built Belfast. It seems ungrateful to live in a place they built up and complain about them or brag about a nationalist majority in that same city when it wouldn't exist without their help.
    "What's your country squatter?" - Talk Back, a republican legend

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think i speak for us all when I say eh?

Both cities founded in 1547?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buchaill Dana View Post
    I think i speak for us all when I say eh?

Both cities founded in 1547?
    Exactly, it's revisionist bullcrap to excise the Irish towns, villages, settlements, monasteries and so on and pretend we need foreign scum to civilise us.

I think we should agree that all who came before us contributed to the growth of our cities and stop using history to diss one another.
    The right to offend is the heart and soul and lungs of freedom of speech, it is the coursing lifeblood of human progress. O'Neill.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Are the Irish"

Slip of the tongue from a plastic methinks.
    We appreciate the move by the Government today and remind ourselves that it is a bail-out by taxpayers for the banks. Pearse Doherty

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rem81 View Post
    I am a staunch nationalist but I heard someone bring up the fact that Belfast was created by planters and it's made me think. Can republicans really complain of living under occupation in unionist-built cities or talking about a foreign presence when the cities wouldn't even exist without them? Yes the UI started there too but honestly it doesn't change the fact loyal prods built Belfast. It seems ungrateful to live in a place they built up and complain about them or brag about a nationalist majority in that same city when it wouldn't exist without their help.
    Béal Feirsde existed before the foreigners stole it.

Nothing in any part of Ireland has anything to do with the foreigners - other than the Unionists are squatting on Irish land they stole from us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Talk Back View Post

Nothing in any part of Ireland has anything to do with the foreigners - other than the Unionists are squatting on Irish land they stole from us.
    Chicester established it being the modern town... do you have any information on how Belfast was before the invasion?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Normans, Vikings,Celts are foreigners you idiot. Have you ever taken a DNA test, Take one ,You may get a surprise.

My DNA is Irish ,Scot and welsh. Whats yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rem81 View Post

I read quite a bit on the Plantation, Flight of the Earls ect. This would be a little like saying that native Americans are not particularly entitled because they didn't build all the shops on 5th Avenue.
    And Bonner has gone 165 minutes of these championships without conceding a goal. Oh danger here!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    Normans, Vikings,Celts are foreigners you idiot. Have you ever taken a DNA test, Take one ,You may get a surprise.

My DNA is Irish ,Scot and welsh. Whats yours.
    Here moron - we can all go back to Adam and Eve.

The salient point here is that our Gaelic political and social order, and associated culture, originated/evolved in Ireland during prehistoric times - our Irish language in writing is the oldest vernacular literature in Western Europe.

We Irish are Gaels, and our country is named in our stead. We are a distinct people - and our country is one of the oldest in the world.

The Normans and Vikings assimilated into Irish society - the thieving Planters have not.

Unless and until the Unionists obey the democratic will of the Irish people, and assimilate into Irish society, they are still foreigners in Ireland - still occupying part of our country in another country's name - still holding Ireland back in the same way they always have, since they first stole Irish land from us Irish people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here moron - we can all go back to Adam and Eve.

The salient point here is that our Gaelic political and social order, and associated culture, originated/evolved in Ireland during prehistoric times - our Irish language in writing is the oldest vernacular literature in Western Europe.

We Irish are Gaels, and our country is named in our stead. We are a distinct people - and our country is one of the oldest in the world.

The Normans and Vikings assimilated into Irish society - the thieving Planters have not.

Unless and until the Unionists obey the democratic will of the Irish people, and assimilate into Irish society, they are still foreigners in Ireland - still occupying part of our country in another country's name - still holding Ireland back in the same way they always have, since they first stole Irish land from us Irish people.
    What do you say of the loyalist claim that most of the Irish surnames ending with O's are no longer in Ireland but in Aus, USA UK etc and therefore the remaining men native to the island have foreign ancestry?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast