Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 181 to 190 of 190

Thread: State of the Union Address 2019

  1. #181
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Under the big log outside Tullybarna
    Posts
    25,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Interesting to watch, though. Based, I agree, on the notion that if you shout loudly about your belief in the world being a certain way then you can bend reality so that the world actually becomes that way.

    Came across this notion in a minor way when working in the States. Someone on the office I was in remarked that you 'have to market yourself three hours a day, honey'.

    By which the implication was that you need to tell white lies about yourself so that you appear successful which will mean that success will naturally follow and accrue to you.

    Which is all very well if you have three hours a day to spare fluffing your CV but the reality is that your employer will become annoyed if you are concentrating a morning every day to self-marketing rather than doing the job he or she is paying you to do. So it can go wrong.

    Some other things about the US and the gap between fiction and reality. Back in 2006 something like 4 million American women were reporting 'unspecified back pain' to their doctors in order to access prescription painkillers. One of the taxi drivers I used was exasperated at some women sitting in her car with a green traffic light showing. He had to beep the horn at her to get her to wake up.

    He referred to them as 'Percodan Princesses'. Said he came across it in his job all the time. Half zonked drivers, predominantly female, driving around on tranquillisers.

    Since then there has been the whole oxycontin thing, an epidemic of prescribed drug abuse which is so serious it has actually begun to affect the population numbers in the US.

    The whole thing of having the American Dream, or not being able to attain it no matter what you do or how hard you work, is causing a self-medication epidemic in the US.

    Easier to treat the status anxiety than it is to be wealthy and successful according to American measures of those things. The politics of the US seems to be the same way. Trumpism, the yah-boo sucks form of populism, is the current oxycontin for the MAGA heads. It also allows them, I notice, to blame others for the noticeable scarcity of the American Dream life in America these days.

    And that is alluringly addictive. Soon as Trump is elected life president and expels all the people who are holding back the American Dream then the American Dream will come back.

    MAGA.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

  2. #182
    Politics.ie Member Herr Rommel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    Interesting to watch, though. Based, I agree, on the notion that if you shout loudly about your belief in the world being a certain way then you can bend reality so that the world actually becomes that way.

    Came across this notion in a minor way when working in the States. Someone on the office I was in remarked that you 'have to market yourself three hours a day, honey'.

    By which the implication was that you need to tell white lies about yourself so that you appear successful which will mean that success will naturally follow and accrue to you.

    Which is all very well if you have three hours a day to spare fluffing your CV but the reality is that your employer will become annoyed if you are concentrating a morning every day to self-marketing rather than doing the job he or she is paying you to do. So it can go wrong.

    Some other things about the US and the gap between fiction and reality. Back in 2006 something like 4 million American women were reporting 'unspecified back pain' to their doctors in order to access prescription painkillers. One of the taxi drivers I used was exasperated at some women sitting in her car with a green traffic light showing. He had to beep the horn at her to get her to wake up.

    He referred to them as 'Percodan Princesses'. Said he came across it in his job all the time. Half zonked drivers, predominantly female, driving around on tranquillisers.

    Since then there has been the whole oxycontin thing, an epidemic of prescribed drug abuse which is so serious it has actually begun to affect the population numbers in the US.

    The whole thing of having the American Dream, or not being able to attain it no matter what you do or how hard you work, is causing a self-medication epidemic in the US.

    Easier to treat the status anxiety than it is to be wealthy and successful according to American measures of those things. The politics of the US seems to be the same way. Trumpism, the yah-boo sucks form of populism, is the current oxycontin for the MAGA heads. It also allows them, I notice, to blame others for the noticeable scarcity of the American Dream life in America these days.

    And that is alluringly addictive. Soon as Trump is elected life president and expels all the people who are holding back the American Dream then the American Dream will come back.

    MAGA.
    Cool story bro.
    There are only two genders.

  3. #183
    Politics.ie Member Herr Rommel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagmore View Post
    Jack the Fascist went around that bend way before Trump got elected
    Internet hard man of the site who is probably all of of nine stone in weight when soaking wet.
    There are only two genders.

  4. #184
    Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Oval Office, The West Wing
    Posts
    8,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The poor orange moron snowflake is now claiming presidential harassment - he really can't take criticism and oversight - big baby - get out of the kitchen Dodgy Donnie if you can't stand the heat - such an a$$hole!

  5. #185
    Politics.ie Member livingstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    23,839
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cranberry1 View Post
    Did you read my post ? I said low information voters , people are desperate and will vote for someone who tells them they'll make it alright , there not very intelligent people .
    They're, not there. And punctuation marks do not need spaces before them.

    But yes, tell us more about the low information, unintelligent tens of millions who vote against the Trump/GOP immigration approach.

  6. #186
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    32,707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    I do wonder about how on earth we set about re-integrating these loons back into reality, post-Trump.

    There's a hefty chunk of the populace in some major countries now that have been conditioned to actively reject reality, facts, evidence, and science in favour of aggrieved feels and paranoid conspiracy theories.

    It can't end well.
    If the right of return is short hand for destroying the Israeli state than so be it- if to be for justice is to be anti-Semitic than anti-Semitism is a good thing p.ie in 2019.

  7. #187
    Politics.ie Member The OD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Axis Mundi
    Posts
    11,368
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Rommel View Post
    Internet hard man of the site who is probably all of of nine stone in weight when soaking wet.
    You ever met anyone off this site in real life? Ever go to any of the meet ups in the good old days? Probably not I would imagine.

    I'd say crowds and adults are not your thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by President Bartlet View Post
    The poor orange moron snowflake is now claiming presidential harassment - he really can't take criticism and oversight - big baby - get out of the kitchen Dodgy Donnie if you can't stand the heat - such an a$$hole!
    He's a sad shadow of a man at this stage. Surrounded by idiots because anyone with any sort of ability has either resigned, been arrested or was 'asked to resign' and a certifiable nut case in the form of his VP. Shouty drunk Kavanaugh is one of his SCOTUS appointment and his daughter acts as his first lady, in more ways than one I would imagine.

    He is seriously running out of people to such an extent I am wondering if the shut down is actually cover for him trying to eithe retain or hire more staff because nobody wants to work with the biggest embarrassment the US has come out with, aside from the 'Howard The Duck' movie. And even the puppets hair was more real than Trumps barnet.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

  8. #188
    Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    25,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Steve King of Iowa had an amazing tweet about the SOTU speech, basically taking the piss out of the NPCs on the Democrat side

    "Criticising the EU in Ireland in the 2010's is like criticising the Catholic Church in the 1950s. You run the risk of being lynched by brainwashed fanatics." - Volatire

  9. #189
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Presidential Palace
    Posts
    51,472
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Turns out Trump was right about the border fence in El Paso, Texas. CNN claimed Trump wrongly said crime dropped when it was built. In fact, Jesse Waters on Fox's Waters World just showed statistics that crime fell 20% after the fence was built. CNN is being misleading by starting the clock from when the fence was authorised, rather than from when it was built.
    Repeal the Fakes.

  10. #190
    Politics.ie Member Herr Rommel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    You ever met anyone off this site in real life? Ever go to any of the meet ups in the good old days? Probably not I would imagine.

    I'd say crowds and adults are not your thing.



    He's a sad shadow of a man at this stage. Surrounded by idiots because anyone with any sort of ability has either resigned, been arrested or was 'asked to resign' and a certifiable nut case in the form of his VP. Shouty drunk Kavanaugh is one of his SCOTUS appointment and his daughter acts as his first lady, in more ways than one I would imagine.

    He is seriously running out of people to such an extent I am wondering if the shut down is actually cover for him trying to eithe retain or hire more staff because nobody wants to work with the biggest embarrassment the US has come out with, aside from the 'Howard The Duck' movie. And even the puppets hair was more real than Trumps barnet.
    Drinking with random people on the internet isn't my thing. I have real friends for that.
    There are only two genders.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •