Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Liam Neeson a racist?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Is Liam Neeson a racist?

Is Liam Neeson a racist?

He made some "unforced" comments during a media interview in which he was promoting his new movie. The new movie is tale of revenge, and Neeson told the interviewer about something that he had never declared publicly before - admitting that he once set out to kill any black man who provoked him.

"He had said he walked the streets with a weapon around 40 years ago, hoping to take out his anger after someone close to him was raped by a black man.".

Is this evidence of racism, or is it what Neeson claims - that "he wanted his original comments to start a wider conversation about racism"?

Liam Neeson says he's 'not racist' after controversial interview - BBC News

"Asked what he wanted people to learn from his experience, he told the host: "To talk. To open up.

We all pretend we're all politically correct in this country...in mine, too. You sometimes just scratch the surface and you discover this racism and bigotry and it's there." "
    satisfied with frugal comfort

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

He's talking about something that happened 40 years ago, so I would say he was racist then but he seems to know better now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's evidence that he's full of sht.

As if he walked around every day for a week....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's an idiot, whatever about racism, he was very bloody stupid to make these remarks in this day and age. All in all, this is something that happened 40 years ago and has zero relevance today. He said his friend was raped by a black man and he wanted to punish a black man, any black man, it probably would have been the same if it was a Dubliner, a Londoner or an American, who knows,who really cares other than some perpetually outraged fools on Twitter?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All real Irish people are racist, most of you here are just pretend Irish people......in fact many of you are overtly anti Irish, even though you were probably born here, there's a special word for you !.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    He's talking about something that happened 40 years ago, so I would say he was racist then but he seems to know better now.

He also said if the perpetrator of the rape had been Irish, a Lithuanian, a Brit, any identifiable group he would have had the same thoughts. So one can take from it what one wants but I don't think there's any evidence that he's a racist today as per the thread title.

John Barnes launches furious defence of Liam Neeson | Daily Mail Online
    Unionists in Ireland...going...going...going....gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Is Liam Neeson a racist?

He made some "unforced" comments during a media interview in which he was promoting his new movie. The new movie is tale of revenge, and Neeson told the interviewer about something that he had never declared publicly before - admitting that he once set out to kill any black man who provoked him.

"He had said he walked the streets with a weapon around 40 years ago, hoping to take out his anger after someone close to him was raped by a black man.".

Is this evidence of racism, or is it what Neeson claims - that "he wanted his original comments to start a wider conversation about racism"?

Liam Neeson says he's 'not racist' after controversial interview - BBC News

"Asked what he wanted people to learn from his experience, he told the host: "To talk. To open up.

We all pretend we're all politically correct in this country...in mine, too. You sometimes just scratch the surface and you discover this racism and bigotry and it's there." "
    No - he isn't - at least not based on this story. He made a stupid mistake, unlike the rest of us.

He realised the stupidity of that mistake. Lesson learned.
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I don't know that this was specifically about racism, but rather whatever "-ism" it is that makes a person want to punish a group of people because of what one member of that group has done.

What "-ism" is that?

Neeson says he'd have done the same thing if he had discovered that the alleged perp was a member of some other group, but would he really have done so? If his friend had said that the perp was "Scottish" would he have really gone out onto the streets with a weapon hoping to have a confrontation with any Scottish man he could find?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyFoley View Post
    It's evidence that he's full of sht.

As if he walked around every day for a week....

If he says that he did that, then why wouldn't we believe him?

Some are defending him on the basis that he didn't actually harm anyone, but he went out 4-5 times with the intent to use violence against any black person who he could provoke into a confrontation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. It happened. He condemned his feelings at the time. The professionally outraged will do what they do best. Everyone else will move on. And his film will probably sell many more tickets than it initially would have done.

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast