Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 183 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Scandal of New Children's Hospital Spending overrun - will Harris resign? Of course not

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Scandal of New Children's Hospital Spending overrun - will Harris resign? Of course not

From today's ST , an article by Conor Brady on how the projected cost of the new Children's Hospital has gone from 484m in 2012 to a whopping 2 billion euros now.

Why aren't the media crucifying Simon Harris and FG over this? ( I can make an educated guess as to why not ).

It is getting on for seven years since James Reilly, as health minister, announced that Ireland’s new national children’s hospital would cost €484m, would be co-located at St James’s in Dublin, and would be in operation “certainly by 2018”.

The project is now set to generate the largest capital overrun in the history of the state. By 2017 the estimated cost had gone up to €983m. Two weeks ago the Oireachtas health committee heard it will require an additional €495m. Some expect the cost to rise even further, possibly pushing it towards €2bn.

It is profoundly disturbing that the management of a public undertaking of this magnitude can go so catastrophically wrong. It is clear that political decisions were taken and announcements were made on…
    Conor Brady: Will anyone pay the price for the national children's hospital fiasco? | Ireland | The Sunday Times
    "Criticising the EU in Ireland in the 2010's is like criticising the Catholic Church in the 1950s. You run the risk of being lynched by brainwashed fanatics." - Volatire

Politics.ie Member the secretary's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Harris is the poster boy for the liberal Irish media.
    No one will ask for his resignation.
    Ravaging liberalism is Irelands new modern version of the intolerant RCC of the 1950's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the secretary View Post
    Harris is the poster boy for the liberal Irish media.
    No one will ask for his resignation.
    If it was FF engaging in this kind of waste of public money, the media would definitely be more exercised. But it's golden boy Simon, the liberator of Mná na hEireann, so look the other way and write some more clickbait articles on LGBT issues.
    "Criticising the EU in Ireland in the 2010's is like criticising the Catholic Church in the 1950s. You run the risk of being lynched by brainwashed fanatics." - Volatire

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see some chap on RTE's a week in politics arguing that serious consideration should be given to scraping the current build and starting again on a green field site , he was arguing that just because we have already spent a lot of money on the current site is not a good reason to stay building there and throw good money after bad money.

I suspect there is no chance of halting the current works as it would be a PR political disaster for the current Government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a massive scandal to be unearthed here I think. 'Consultants' creaming off millions from the public purse.

This is insane... 4 times the original projected cost.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Massive compared to what?

Irish people are comfortably numb to this kind of thing.

No worries for the govt here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If I can put this in perspective, today Amazon started a marketing plan for state of the art modular Hospital Room. Cost $234,000 each or €203,586 each. So for € 2,000,000,000.00 we could get 9,823 rooms or 2,430 rooms per Province, yes for all 4.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”—Albert Einstein.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabhaDubh View Post
    If I can put this in perspective, today Amazon started a marketing plan for state of the art modular Hospital Room. Cost $234,000 each or €203,586 each. So for € 2,000,000,000.00 we could get 9,823 rooms or 2,430 rooms per Province, yes for all 4.
    Will there be beds in thon rooms?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    Will there be beds in thon rooms?
    Bed and bathroom included at a cost of $814 per square foot. All rooms have touch-less doors, faucets, sinks etc. also patient engagement units so they are involved. Rooms can be configured for the sub-specialities. Free delivery, probably a surcharge for Ireland
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”—Albert Einstein.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabhaDubh View Post
    Bed and bathroom included at a cost of $814 per square foot. All rooms have touch-less doors, faucets, sinks etc. also patient engagement units so they are involved. Rooms can be configured for the sub-specialities. Free delivery, probably a surcharge for Ireland
    Sounds cool, though I must say I thought beds were considered passé now.

What are faucets? I’m guessing it’s a contraction of faux and some other word?

Page 1 of 183 123451151101 ... LastLast