Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Our West Brit President Declines To Attend The Soloheadbeg Commeration.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    Fintan O’Toole’s article to today’s IT is spot on. Soloheadbeg was an act that was incompatible with the principles of any democratic law based state.
    Hardly a newspaper with a glorious past concerning the War of Independence. It even censored its 1916 centenary edition to remove the "Sinn Fein Rebellion" headline. And one of its former owners offered to spy on Irish people for British Intelligence. O'Toole is just a gombeen praising a "Croppy Lie Down" strategy. There's a very funny clip on Youtube of a discussion on the Late Late Show where O'Toole's argument on Irish nationalism gets destroyed by a singer from the Wolfe Tones.

On Irish Nationalism, O'Toole has a long history of supporting the British. You certainly seem to regret that Irish independence was achieved.
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    the IRA are murderers, cowards and pedo enablers

human sewage
    All armies murder moron - and Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, who have been in power in the 'Southern Ireland' State for decades, and could have done something about pedophilia, instead, aided and abetted the pedophiles.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fintan O’Toole’s article to today’s IT is spot on. Soloheadbeg was an act that was incompatible with the principles of any democratic law based state.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/h...ence-1.3752483
    Next week we will have his article condeming the Boston Tea Party.
    Someday, and that day may never come, I will call on you to do a service for me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Speech by Seán Russell in October 1939....

The IRA’s Plan Kathleen would have turned Ireland into a WW2 battle zone with the IRA on the side of the Germans fighting against the British. I’m pretty sure Breen would have been on the wrong side.
    Some Irish people are very confused.

The Nazis were pussycats compared to the English - England is responsible for the murder of countless millions of people in the countries it invaded and occupied around the world over the centuries.

Ireland is a prime example of genocide and ethnic cleansing perpetuated by England and its Unionists planted in our country.

Ireland and England are supposed to have had similar populations when our historical and hereditary enemy first invaded and occupied our country.

Now England has a population of nearly 55 million, and Ireland only has a population of about 6 million - but nearly a million of them are foreign Unionist stock.

Just remember who our real enemy is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seán Russell believed that a Nazi victory would bring about a United Ireland. Anyone who thinks that a Nazi victory was price worth paying is a deluded fool. Seán Russell was a Nazi collaborator. Breen was a Nazi sympathiser.
    Great masses of the British establishment were self-declared Nazi sympathisers.

After the war, when the full horror of the concentration camps was known to all, the British government continued it's policy of attempting to restrict Jewish emigration to Palestine, often at the point of a gun. The reason? To protect its selfish geopolitical interests in Iraqi oil and access to the Suez canal. Prior to the war Britain, like practically every other country in the world, with a few notable exceptions, left the Jews to stew in their own juices. To pretend the British were fighting Germany for anything other than their own interests is to be willfully naive.

No side covers itself in glory when it comes to the Nazis during the second world war. However you focus on Russell as if he was the embodiment of a significant strain of thought in Irish society.

The point is, in the Irish case, people like Russell - one-eyed nationalists, were very much a fringe element. In Britain, they were deciding policy.
    We are all born mad. Some remain so.

Politics.ie Member Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Estragon View Post
    Great masses of the British establishment were self-declared Nazi sympathisers.

After the war, when the full horror of the concentration camps was known to all, the British government continued it's policy of attempting to restrict Jewish emigration to Palestine, often at the point of a gun. The reason? To protect its selfish geopolitical interests in Iraqi oil and access to the Suez canal. Prior to the war Britain, like practically every other country in the world, with a few notable exceptions, left the Jews to stew in their own juices. To pretend the British were fighting Germany for anything other than their own interests is to be willfully naive.

No side covers itself in glory when it comes to the Nazis during the second world war. However you focus on Russell as if he was the embodiment of a significant strain of thought in Irish society.

The point is, in the Irish case, people like Russell - one-eyed nationalists, were very much a fringe element. In Britain, they were deciding policy.
    British restrictions on Jewish emigration to Palestine were due to its competing obligations to the majority Arab population. The last intention was to hand over control to an independent mixed Jewish Palestinian state. At the time it was a reasonable and responsible limitation.

Of course Britain fought against Germany for its own interests. It was in the interest of all democracies to see Nazi germany defeated. “One eyed nationalists” like Russell, Breen were blind to that broader common interests of fellow democrats, be they Irish, British, French etc.

I focus on Breen and Russell because they were not a fringe element within republicans of that period. The IRA were engaged in joint enterprise with Nazi germany against Britain and therefore against the national interests of all democracies.
    Is not this the great Babylon that I have built.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Hardly a newspaper with a glorious past concerning the War of Independence. It even censored its 1916 centenary edition to remove the "Sinn Fein Rebellion" headline. And one of its former owners offered to spy on Irish people for British Intelligence. O'Toole is just a gombeen praising a "Croppy Lie Down" strategy. There's a very funny clip on Youtube of a discussion on the Late Late Show where O'Toole's argument on Irish nationalism gets destroyed by a singer from the Wolfe Tones.

On Irish Nationalism, O'Toole has a long history of supporting the British. You certainly seem to regret that Irish independence was achieved.
    I wouldn’t be taking history lessons from the Wolf Tones.

I am very glad that we are an independent state within the EU. I hope, in time, we’ll have a 32 county republic....I just have a different opinion from the Wolf Tones as to what’s the best way to achieve that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

@jmcc

.....following on from O’Connells membership of the militia

..... what say you about Wolf Tone’s proposal to William Pitt that Tone set up a British military base and colony on the Sandwich Islands and use it to attack Spanish interests in that area. I’d love to hear the Wolf Tones singing about the planned southern seas adventures of the bould British imperialist Wolf Tone.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I wouldn’t be taking history lessons from the Wolf Tones.
    O'Toole is not a historian. You should be wary of taking lessons on Irish history from a clueless Castle Catholic like O'Toole and the rest in the "Irish" Times.
    Last edited by jmcc; 12th January 2019 at 10:48 PM.
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

@jmcc

.....following on from O’Connells membership of the militia
    There does seem to be a lot of greenwashing of O'Connell's membership of the Loyalist militia. He doesn't seem any different to the current the gombeens on the make like Mary Robinson and in FF/FG/Labour in the way that they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. One can see how O'Toole might be convincing to people who read the Irish Times and believe everything in it.

..... what say you about Wolf Tone’s proposal to William Pitt that Tone set up a British military base and colony on the Sandwich Islands and use it to attack Spanish interests in that area. I’d love to hear the Wolf Tones singing about the southern seas adventures of the bould British imperialist Wolf Tone.
    Don't really care. The Wolfe Tones showed Tintin up as a fool on the Late Late Show.
    Last edited by jmcc; 12th January 2019 at 08:26 PM.
    Regards...jmcc