Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The death of a star and the wonders of space

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How weird- is the site acting up again? I've provided links in some posts on this thread, can see the URL when I edit the post but the post looks blank otherwise. 'The Life Cycle of Stars' was one link which seems to have disappeared from view...
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    The Milky Way is on course to crash into the Andromeda galaxy - in about 4 billion years.
    True, however there is such vast space within each galaxy that they don't anticipate many (if any) collisions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    How weird- is the site acting up again? I've provided links in some posts on this thread, can see the URL when I edit the post but the post looks blank otherwise. 'The Life Cycle of Stars' was one link which seems to have disappeared from view...
    Job is oxo. I found a random Canadian sex-pest in the defugulator. Ran it under the hot-tap and smacked the RCSP over the head with the sand-shovel and we're good to go.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A full NASA spacesuit costs $12m dollars. 70% of which is for the backpack and control module. Space Facts: Amazing and Incredible Facts About Space
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    A full NASA spacesuit costs $12m dollars. 70% of which is for the backpack and control module. Space Facts: Amazing and Incredible Facts About Space
    I’ll buy you one.
    End biased moderation

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

12 million eh. Think of all the bullets that could have been made instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SpaceTelescopeLive

INTERESTING SITE..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That is quite cool. I'm liking that.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I inherited a copy of the New York Times from Friday the 30th in which the editorial opinion is given over to the considerable achievement in landing the InSight probe on Mars.

It is some piece of arithmetical engineering when you think of it. Seven months travel at a top speed in the end of some 12,300 miles per hour and slowing the thing to 5mph at an angle of 12 degrees to land safely on Elysium Planitia. That achievement alone is pretty impressive.

Seven minutes of terror, apparently, for the engineers and scientists involved as InSight went through its final approach to landing.

Curiously enough the exchange last week between TweetyBird and myself on this thread is quite relevant. First images back to the JPL control room revealed a camera lens speckled with red-dust.

Bruce Banerdt, Principal Investigator; "This image is actually a really good argument for why you put a dust cover on a camera. Good choice, right?"

There are two mini-spacecraft, each about the size of a suitcase, orbiting the red planet and monitoring InSight's progress since landing.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its often the simple things that trips you up. But now they know, a simple dust screen is important. A bit of luck and great teamwork means they managed it, let's see what the rewards bring.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast