Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 8 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Rape - how important is your underwear

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She was absolutely right to bring it up. Her job is to defend the client and that evidence could point towards at the very least an intention to ride. That is relevant and material. Grow up. The man was acquitted and that should be the end of it, but instead we get the usual bunch of feminist nutjobs trying to gerrymander a fair process. If the jury decides something is relevant then it is relevant.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A unanimous verdict of a jury including 4 women is pretty clear. Though the underwear thing is pretty outrageous, it doesn't necessarily mean that the jury paid much heed to it. One hopes that the prosecuting counsel rebutted the point anyway. The whole scene sounded so tawdry though (on a muddy lane ffs)

I think the age difference is a more significant factor. If she were a year younger then all it would have needed was proof that penetration occurred and he'd have been guilty of a sex crime.

Yet some people want the age of consent reduced even further....!

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Davison View Post
    Apparently wearing lacy underwear means that you are looking for sex:

Counsel for man acquitted of rape suggested jurors should reflect on underwear worn by teen complainant | Irish Examiner

So ladies, if you ever get raped because you're dressed up, don't bother going to court if you wore lacy undergarments as it will be used against you.

Nice underwear is a sign of being sexual available apparently.

"Does the evidence out-rule the possibility that she was attracted to the defendant and was open to meeting someone and being with someone? You have to look at the way she was dressed. She was wearing a thong with a lace front.”
    Incredible comments. She should have been reprimanded by the judge for such idiotic comments. How does she sleep at night?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Uganda View Post
    This is getting into George Hook territory.

The concept of contributory negligence should be taken into account. I am entitled to walk on the road without being run over, but if I suddenly run across the M50 and get hit, well, I have contributed somewhat to my predicament.

Thus if a young woman is dressed in a manner clearly designed to be provocative, and ends up having a problem, then there is a degree of contributory negligence there. It doesnt condone or excuse rape etc, but if you deliberately put yourself in harms way, dont be surprised if you get harmed.

That all said, I cant quite reconcile the "lacy thong" argument. Unless she was wearing no skirt or trousers what relevance does the lacy thong have? If theyve got that far where he can inpsect her lacy thong then its a bit late to be shouting stop.
    Jesus wept. The M50 is a place for cars, so unless a driver deliberately runs you over, there is no crime.

What a woman wears is no excuse for raping her. It is not a justification. She is not being reckless. She is not being negligent.

If a man can't control himself when he sees a woman in a state of undress, he should take the voluntary decision to lock himself in his house or cut his cock off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    She was absolutely right to bring it up. Her job is to defend the client and that evidence could point towards at the very least an intention to ride. That is relevant and material. Grow up. The man was acquitted and that should be the end of it, but instead we get the usual bunch of feminist nutjobs trying to gerrymander a fair process. If the jury decides something is relevant then it is relevant.
    How does this piece of evidence point to an intention to ride?
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    Your wife might have gone out with a fancy slicer on, with the intention of sending you a picture of them pushed to one side with a couple of fingers up her royal canal, to keep you ticking over while you rubbed a couple off at home.

But instead some bastard got a hold of her and raped her before she could do as she intended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Niall996 View Post
    How does this piece of evidence point to an intention to ride?
    Teenage girl wears fashionable underwear that reduces chance of VPL = gaggin' for it. Did you not listen to the defending barrister.

I wonder what the barrister would have said if the teenage girl decided to not wear underwear to avoid VPL completely?
    All the world's a stage... That we're just going through.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarellano View Post
    It only implies that to people with a poor view of others as you ably demonstrate in your lurid rant. Either way, Its for the prosecution to tell the jury that Mother Theresa was innocently picking daisies in the fields at the time. Thats the adversarial system. The assumptions on this thread are breathtaking.

Whatever.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Mass hysteria? When was that?
    What was the #Ibelieveher stuff all about? The protest march? The O'Riordan guy making an utter tit out of himself by defaming the men who were exonerated? How on earth could those people be so arrogant as to think they knew better than the jury?
    People should be protesting about the numerous false convictions in the court system rather than the other way around. And how could those people be so arrogant as to presume to have a better insight into the verdict than a fairly assembled jury? It was a mass display of idiocy, and absolutely pointless because it wasn't going to change anything anyway.

Politics.ie Member Emily Davison's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    There is no excuse for rape. But equally people should takemeasures to reduce the chances of becoming a victim. I do think dress is a relevant issue. There are a lot of young women that walk around town at night like they are professional strippers. I have no interest in women as I am LGBT, but I think when you dress like that, you are clearly looking to hook up with a man (or in a minority cases with a woman). Now that doesnt justify rape, but it does perhaps explain why some men may get the wrong idea.

At the same time, I think that unless the underwear is being worne without anything over it, how that looks is not necessarily something that should matter to a judge.
    Can you clarify what you think is suitable clothing for us women to wear going out at night?
    Can you clarify which items of clothing give men the idea that you are looking to be raped?
    Can you clarify what wrong idea do men get from your clothing as regards rape?
    Can you clarify how underwear matters if there is nothing being worn over it as regards rape?
    A descendant of all the Witches they could not drown.