Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Poppy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Red Poppy

The red poppy is to raise money for those who have been left disadvantaged by their time in Service. This is a perfectly reasonable way to raise money so that the British government does not have to fund the people who have been given of their life or well being for their state.

Their is the alternative such as the white poppy which I think we should embrace in "Northern Ireland". This would allow both communities to be able to show respect for all the dead of the various conflicts.

Note on how some of the red poppy money is spent:

You may also like to know that the Peace Pledge Union's annual turnover is similar to the annual salary (95,000+) of the British Legion's chief executive.

White Poppies for Peace

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do what you want.

Let others do what they want.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I happen to be in the UK on business this week. The percentage of people I’ve seen wearing poppies is no more than 15% at most. That will increase of course as the he 11th approaches but in general terms I think UK tv gives a false sense of how prevalent the poppy is.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You hear of brit prisons full of brit X Soldiers and brit streets with X brit Soldiers sleeping rough on them- does the millions made by the Poppy not reach those X brit army most in need- just them causes where a soft Royal will be at the photo event with those that lost a arm and a leg for Queen and brit Country-

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The cornflower is a more beautiful emblem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    I happen to be in the UK on business this week. The percentage of people I’ve seen wearing poppies is no more than 15% at most. That will increase of course as the he 11th approaches but in general terms I think UK tv gives a false sense of how prevalent the poppy is.
    I live in London. I think 15% is really pushing it. We'll see how it evolves up to the 11th but right now, it's just a media thing. Walk into any bar tonight or restuarant and I woudl wager you wont see a single poppy. And certainly not in offices and in meetings. It's the most overhyped thing I've seen in a world of overhype. I don't see any white poppies either for that matter. No one gives a toss.
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Niall996 View Post
    I live in London. I think 15% is really pushing it. We'll see how it evolves up to the 11th but right now, it's just a media thing. Walk into any bar tonight or restuarant and I woudl wager you wont see a single poppy. And certainly not in offices and in meetings. It's the most overhyped thing I've seen in a world of overhype. I don't see any white poppies either for that matter. No one gives a toss.
    I'm in a small university/cathedral city, with a somewhat more conservative populace than London. Having said which, I just had dinner and nobody in the restaurant was wearing one.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Newrybhoy View Post
    Do what you want.

Let others do what they want.
    "DUP MP Gregory Campbell said: "These people make two fundamental mistakes.

"The traditional poppy is not a symbol of war.

"It is a symbol of remembrance of those who paid the extreme sacrifice and those who were injured so that all the rest of us, including those who want to promote the white poppy, can actually do that.

"The second thing is that they appear to misconstrue what people who sell and wear the red poppy mean by doing it.

"The millions that are raised every year through selling the red poppy go towards helping ex-service personnel who survived the extreme sacrifice and who fought for freedom so that all the rest of us can enjoy these freedoms."

Peace activists miss point of red poppies, says DUPs Gregory Campbell - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

If world war 1 was about freedom why did the UK not give up its empire after the war was over?

Politics.ie Member Jack O Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    "DUP MP Gregory Campbell said: "These people make two fundamental mistakes.

"The traditional poppy is not a symbol of war.

"It is a symbol of remembrance of those who paid the extreme sacrifice and those who were injured so that all the rest of us, including those who want to promote the white poppy, can actually do that.

"The second thing is that they appear to misconstrue what people who sell and wear the red poppy mean by doing it.

"The millions that are raised every year through selling the red poppy go towards helping ex-service personnel who survived the extreme sacrifice and who fought for freedom so that all the rest of us can enjoy these freedoms."

Peace activists miss point of red poppies, says DUPs Gregory Campbell - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

If world war 1 was about freedom why did the UK not give up its empire after the war was over?

Try and find a more credible source to quote than that secteran bigot then perhaps some idiots might believe your poppycock

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Poppy wearing is not a choice on British tv, therefore giving as you've stated a false impression.

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast