Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Poppy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    They were imperialists among imperialists. I doubt they killed any more people than the Spanish or French.
    Morality is not something that was invented in the 20th century - clearly. People have possessed a moral compass since the beginning of humanity. They knew what they were doing, they knew it was wrong but they simply turned a blind eye due to greed and justified it to themselves. Murder in the 1800's can be absolutely viewed as murder today.
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I prefer the Easter Lily.....I am Irish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    I prefer the Easter Lily.....I am Irish...

Indeed BT, hope you are good pal.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    The red poppy is to raise money for those who have been left disadvantaged by their time in Service. This is a perfectly reasonable way to raise money so that the British government does not have to fund the people who have been given of their life or well being for their state.

Their is the alternative such as the white poppy which I think we should embrace in "Northern Ireland". This would allow both communities to be able to show respect for all the dead of the various conflicts.

Note on how some of the red poppy money is spent:

You may also like to know that the Peace Pledge Union's annual turnover is similar to the annual salary (£95,000+) of the British Legion's chief executive.

White Poppies for Peace
    The British Legion's income last year was £159.2m. Not sure I see a problem with someone managing an organisation of that size on a c£100k salary.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    The British Legion's income last year was £159.2m. Not sure I see a problem with someone managing an organisation of that size on a c£100k salary.
    Pffft, common sense in the nordie forum! Shooo ye troll....
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    They were imperialists among imperialists. I doubt they killed any more people than the Spanish or French.
    ah the ole Jimmy Savile defense .. sure they were all at it then

btw, they're still doing it now !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Saw him interviewed a few times . what a man! ... He talked more sense in 5 minutes than all the war mongering sh1te that will be peddled out over the next week.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The two clowns yapping about the poppy and then praising a man photographed holding a poppy wreath, the mastermind chair awaits...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've given up on the poppy too over the last year or two, I'm afraid. There's far too much English nationalism tied up in it in Britain, and the language of remembrance has got steadily more militaristic over the last decade or so. I'm not happy about my changed attitude, but there it is.

I used to honour the tradition as a means of symbolising remembrance of the dead, but the language used by the remembrance faction, all the way up to the top politicians, increasingly speaks, at least implicitly, of heroic martyrs. That silly May woman solemnly enthusing about how steadfast they all were is a case in point.

Personally, I don't think the heroic dead have any more right to our remembrance, gratitude or indeed our respect, than the unheroic ones who chanced to find themselves under a random shell.

Around the corner from my house there's a large memorial to 13 or so thousand of the Russians who died in the terrible effort to remove the Nazis from Berlin. I prefer to just visit that place quietly every now and then.