Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurses to ballot for strike action following their rejection of Government pay proposals

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nurses to ballot for strike action following their rejection of Government pay proposals

Nurses are set to ballot for strike action in the weeks ahead following their rejection of Government pay proposals to tackle recruitment and retention difficulties in the health service

Nurses to ballot for strike action after rejecting pay proposals

Nurses at it again despite the Public Service Pay Commission finding there was no generalised recruitment and retention problem in nursing and midwifery. I think we've all seen this before, the Unions will make a big song and dance about overcrowding as a tactic to get pay increases for their members. The government will capitulate and throw them a few extra euro a week. This will of course have zero impact on on overcrowding yet the Unions concerns about this will miraculously disappear. Payrises funded by the taxpayer with no improvement in services for patients secured.

I stepped out , I stepped in again , learning to dance for Lanigans ball.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    Nurses are set to ballot for strike action in the weeks ahead following their rejection of Government pay proposals to tackle recruitment and retention difficulties in the health service

Nurses to ballot for strike action after rejecting pay proposals

Nurses at it again despite the Public Service Pay Commission finding there was no generalised recruitment and retention problem in nursing and midwifery. I think we've all seen this before, the Unions will make a big song and dance about overcrowding as a tactic to get pay increases for their members. The government will capitulate and throw them a few extra euro a week. This will of course have zero impact on on overcrowding yet the Unions concerns about this will miraculously disappear. Payrises funded by the taxpayer with no improvement in services for patients secured.

I stepped out , I stepped in again , learning to dance for Lanigans ball.
    Doesn't the supposed high turnover and shortage of nurses in A&E suggest a recruitment and retention problem? The very high pay of nurses at around 55,000 euros a year for all ranks, maybe the highest pay in the EU, undermines the HSE and hospital budgets, preventing adequate staffing in A&Es. Then, the resulting stressfull conditions there leads to high turnover.
    Last edited by Patslatt1; 7th November 2018 at 03:34 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    Doesn't the supposed high turnover and shortage of nurses in A&E suggest a recruitment and retention problem? The very high pay of nurses at around 55,000 euros a year for all ranks, maybe the highest pay in the EU, unddermins the HSE and hospital budgets, preventing adequate staffing in A&Es. Then, the resulting stressfull conditions there leads to high turnover.
    Well the Public Service Pay Commission found there was no generalised recruitment and retention problem in nursing and midwifery. Perhaps the Unions are spreading this myth in order to secure pay increases for their members ?

In fairness it does state there does appear to be a problem in certain areas.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    Well the Public Service Pay Commission found there was no generalised recruitment and retention problem in nursing and midwifery. Perhaps the Unions are spreading this myth in order to secure pay increases for their members ?

In fairness it does state there does appear to be a problem in certain areas.
    The same pay outside Dublin is more valuable for the far lower cost of rents and home ownership. That suggests pay should be regionalised in the public sector instead of high Dublin pay for all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I worked in A&E on the clerical side.. I would honestly not wish upon my worst enemy the nursing side.. Dantes hell springs to mind

BTW.. Nurses salary is 30k a year not 50..its crap money for a stressful hectic job which gets little or no thanks

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nurses at it again
    Actually, nurses have a bad deal because they have never been 'at it'. Because they were under the cosh of religious orders and as a result of their strong sense of duty of care, they have been taken advantage of and have never been treated fairly. If they had gone on strike, or even threatened strike, as often as teachers did then they would now have better pay and conditions. And BTW re your plucked out of thin air €55,000, my sister is a nurse with almost 30 years' experience and numerous qualifications and she earns €47,000.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

An Taoiseach is dead right.

Billions going into a black hole, while the nurses and other vested interests whine, moan
    and grub around for more money while holding us all to ransom.

Instead of working more over the busy period, they're threatening strike action.

Disgusting.

Good luck to them.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and all the Trumpers come out to bash the nurses - big surprise
    Separate Church and State

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get rid of all the allowances and annualise the hours across the public service. Guards, nurses, CIÉ, doctors, consultants.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast