Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tken Down: Propaganda masquerading as drama

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Taken Down: Propaganda masquerading as drama

I don't know if anyone watched this last night but if you did I'd like to know your thoughts. For me it was thinly disguised leftists open borders type propaganda. The poor immigrants are living in direct provision and it is portrayed as awful with the manger played by Brian Gleeson who is bumbling and absent minded. All the male Guards are racist boors and all the female Guards are nice thoughtful and intelligent. The main female Guard has a suitably right on working class Dublin accent. The good guys and bad guys are paper cut out characters. Is these really the best RTE can do? Needless to say the IT loved it Taken Down: New crime drama puts direct provision in the dock The "review" starts with ................
    Here’s an arresting idea for a police procedural: a murder mystery where the suspects are already in prison.
    And to think this poor man's BBC is looking for more of your hard earned Euro.
    Last edited by Clanrickard; 5th November 2018 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I thought it was OK, a bit over-simplified but not as bad as many of RTE's drama offerings.

OP, if you edit your post and go to Advanced, you can fix the typo in the title.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's entertainment. If you don't like it, switch channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    I don't know if anyone watched this last night but if you did I'd like to know your thoughts. For me it was thinly disguised leftists open borders type propaganda. The poor immigrants are living in direct provision and it is portrayed as awful with the manger played by Brian Gleeson who is bumbling and absent minded. All the male Guards are racist boors and all the female Guards are nice thoughtful and intelligent. The main female Guard has a suitably right on working class Dublin accent. The good guys and bad guys are paper cut out characters. Is these really the best RTE can do? Needless to say the IT loved it Taken Down: New crime drama puts direct provision in the dock The "review" starts with ................ And to think this poor man's BBC is looking for more of your hard earned Euro.
    Maybe it needs more money to make better drama
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Maybe it needs more money to make better drama
    If they had Amy Huberman's turgid dross budget added to it, that could help.

Thought it was OK. The acting was not that bad. And the portrayal of Direct Provision and how it affects people is worthy. We've made a balls of this and need an amnesty and then proper fast tracking of cases from now on. Limit appeals.so we don't end up with culturally Irish non nationals.

Unless there is a whiff of extremism , we should just empty these camps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    If they had Amy Huberman's turgid dross budget added to it, that could help.

Thought it was OK. The acting was not that bad. And the portrayal of Direct Provision and how it affects people is worthy. We've made a balls of this and need an amnesty and then proper fast tracking of cases from now on. Limit appeals.so we don't end up with culturally Irish non nationals.

Unless there is a whiff of extremism , we should just empty these camps.
    Agreed. BTW, I didn't watch it.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ted08 View Post
    It's entertainment. If you don't like it, switch channels.

Maybe so, it kind of felt like a lecture at times though and not hugely entertaining.. Wasnt impressed really, but I'll check it out next week to see if it improves.

Did the same with that God awful Amy Huberman thing, which after episode 3 I won't be watching again. Not funny and badly acted

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I haven't seen it but a realistic and topical subject matter for a drama is fine I think although I really didn't like love hate for instance. I would think there is nothing wrong with a bit of fluff or escapism when it comes to tv either.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deepness View Post
    Maybe so, it kind of felt like a lecture at times though and not hugely entertaining.. Wasnt impressed really, but I'll check it out next week to see if it improves.

Did the same with that God awful Amy Huberman thing, which after episode 3 I won't be watching again. Not funny and badly acted
    It was alright, will probably watch it next week. If the plot doesn't pick up, then I'll leave it. Yer man been found hanging, will probably lead to outrage in how he was treated etc would be next week's opening I imagine. I want to see police finding baddy stuff developing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't see it but I have always regarded all drama, news and commentary as propaganda. The truth, if there is a truth to be found, lies somewhere between conflicting assertions.

Will check it out but from the OP's critique it sounds tediously lob-sided.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast