Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaeltacht Quarter for Dublin city

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gaeltacht Quarter for Dublin city

I just had a brilliant idea.

In the 1920's the then Irish government had the vision and foresight to relocate a whole irish-speaking village from Connemara to Ráth Cairn in Co. Meath. And Ráth Cairn is now the only Gaeltacht in Leinster.

The future of the Irish language needs some of this vision and foresight again.

How about creating a small Gaeltacht in Dublin city. It would be similar to a proposed Chinatown in Parnell Street East.

If we put an Irish language cultural centre at the heart of this new community as well as the offices for Conradh na Gaeilge, Gaelinn and obviously a Welcome centre where people can come speak Irish.

We could put in a café, restaurant, supermarket, bakery, all of which could have bilingual Irish-English speaking staff.

We could even bring in kids from Connemara to work in the supermarkets, get bilingual managers to run the establishments.

Something like a Gaeltacht Quarter would bring in huge revenue.

Think about all the American tourists browsing the shops, they would love it.

If we can have a Chinatown why can't we have a Gaeltacht Quarter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<Mod>Moved to the Dublin forum.</Mod>
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

excellent idea.... we need Irish to be seen as flourishing in urban areas ... we could learn from the Welsh in this regard

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do whatever floats your boat. Just do not ask for my tax dollars to do it with, thanks.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tax dollars?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A colloquial phrase referring to state funds.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just sent a letter to Foras na Gaeilge regarding my idea.

@JCSkinner: if memory serves me right, NI doesn't have dollars it has pounds.
    And NI taxes don't go to the Republic.

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm afraid Fallen_Angel I have raised this issue before.

If we are serious about promoting Irish we should be happy to set up new gaeltachtaí. It's not the most important issue but I would put it as the third most important issue that is not even being faced by the government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FA I think it's worth pursuing. Perhaps flesh it out here a bit more. Would it be commercial only or would you want Irish speaking residents. Location? Perhaps the ongoing Docklands development could cater for it, or the Markets renewal. Or looking long term, James' Gate - it will already have it's massive tourist draw and the redevelopment of the site would be ideal for this - close to the Kilmainham Gaol and the Museum etc

my own opinion is that to look for Irish speaking residents is beyond a diverse urban area like Dublin but if one was to insist on Irish speaking retailers etc and Irish language only signposts etc it could work.

However a "Tír na Disné" effect would have to be avoided and the fear would be that the national tongue would become a tacky trinket causing it further damage. But it's worth debating definitely
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alonso
    Would it be commercial only or would you want Irish speaking residents. Location?
    Well if you put the offices for Conradh na Gaeilge, Gaelinn and the Ionad Buail Isteach into the Gaeltacht Quarter it would help create the necessary critical mass for it to work.
    The quarter would be overwhelmingly commercial, who's to say there couldn't be a guesthouse/hotel maybe.
    There could be a cultural centre centre where people could learn and speak Irish.

my own opinion is that to look for Irish speaking residents is beyond a diverse urban area like Dublin but if one was to insist on Irish speaking retailers etc and Irish language only signposts etc it could work.
    There are nearly 10 Irish speaking secondary schools in Dublin, maybe some of the kids from these schools could be given part time jobs(as part of Transition Year) in the shops in the Gaeltacht Quarter.

However a "Tír na Disné" effect would have to be avoided and the fear would be that the national tongue would become a tacky trinket causing it further damage. But it's worth debating definitely
    I would definitely be against a Tír na Disné, as it would only make a mockery of the language.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast