Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Budget 2019 - an election budget or a genuine step in the right direction?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    There is no reason to increase the dole for young unemployed people. Possibly some merit in the dependent child payment as Inflation is tough. But that should be it.
    I seriously think Universal Basic Income would do a magic here. Scrap all tax credits and give Universal Income instead up to the level of tax credits. Problem of 'i'm better off on dole than working' sorted, low and middle earners - sorted.

Distribute enough to survive, not enough to enjoy living.
    Then make any extra SW payments solely on emergency basis: for ill, disabled etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary View Post
    I seriously think Universal Basic Income would do a magic here. Scrap all tax credits and give Universal Income instead up to the level of tax credits. Problem of 'i'm better off on dole than working' sorted, low and middle earners - sorted.

Distribute enough to survive, not enough to enjoy living.
    Then make any extra SW payments solely on emergency basis: for ill, disabled etc.
    You still need to make adjustments for dependent children and accommodation need. Makes sense to provide assistance for a 28 year old to live in a one bed flat or house share, but the 21 year old can stay with their parents till they get on their feet.

Also a huge number of people inherit or live rent free. So any basic income needs to be exclusive of accommodation costs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You still need to make adjustments for dependent children and accommodation need. Makes sense to provide assistance for a 28 year old to live in a one bed flat or house share, but the 21 year old can stay with their parents till they get on their feet.

Also a huge number of people inherit or live rent free. So any basic income needs to be exclusive of accommodation costs.
    when you start targetting certain groups, include these, exclude others then you no longer have a universal basic income.
    UBI is for everyone, you are a human you get it.

Children get it too, so no 'dependent children' allowance needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary View Post
    when you start targetting certain groups, include these, exclude others then you no longer have a universal basic income.
    UBI is for everyone, you are a human you get it.

Children get it too, so no 'dependent children' allowance needed.
    It would therefore also go to someone who has no living expenses to speak of. When I was a student, and , for a year afterwards, I was under employed but living at home for nothing. I went to the dole office and was told that I deserved nothing. Which was fair. SW is not about pandering to dossers. It should be about basic needs. Not pocket money.

There are too many who would get money they don't need. I got full time jobs and moved on and grew up. Mid 90's many of the jobs were sh1t. Cleaning jobs when I had an honours degree...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would therefore also go to someone who has no living expenses to speak of. When I was a student, and , for a year afterwards, I was under employed but living at home for nothing. I went to the dole office and was told that I deserved nothing. Which was fair. SW is not about pandering to dossers. It should be about basic needs. Not pocket money.

There are too many who would get money they don't need. I got full time jobs and moved on and grew up. Mid 90's many of the jobs were sh1t. Cleaning jobs when I had an honours degree...
    There's a time coming, inevitably, where low skilled workers will not be needed any more, then semi-skilled won't be needed any more,. First zero-staff retail shops opened in Europe already, robots replace human labor. We will need to find ways to distribute goods and services produced by robots and UBI seems a fair way of distribution.

Give a small portion of produced resources equally to everyone isn't that bad of a deal if you think about it. No administration costs, no verification, no policing, no pretending to be a single mother, no .... add whatever. Simple, you live: here you go.
    Low paid workers would pay taxes on all their income (no tax credits) but would get UBI to compensate. High earners would pay higher taxes but would also get UBI (as they get tax credits today).

UBI could replace many benefits, including JB, JA, dependent children/parent etc benefits, state pensions and many more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Some problems with your platform there.
    I wouldn't be pandering to racists such as yourself.

You'll have to start your own party. Alternativ fur Irland?
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So it appears that the"Asylum Seekers" got an increase of €20 a week per person or child, stuff the Irish they can manage on a rise of €5 a week.
    It wasn't mentioned in the Budget Speech, sneaky, cowardly prats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peader odonnell View Post
    So it appears that the"Asylum Seekers" got an increase of €20 a week per person or child, stuff the Irish they can manage on a rise of €5 a week.
    In fairness, they are coming from a very low base. And "Social inclusion" ( hello bertie) is necessary if you are ever going to integrate these economic migrants when we give up pretending to validate their asylum claims...

Politics.ie Member LISTOWEL MAN's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peader odonnell View Post
    Nobody's 'managing' on an increase. People manage on the nett sum what they get. That's kind of basics of home economics...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast