Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Romanian anti gay marriage referendum

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Romanian anti gay marriage referendum

Surprised this isnt being reported in Irish media much compared to Hungary and Poland. Romania is voting this weekend on a referendum to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Comes after a recent ECJ ruling that Romanian must treat a gay married couple (one of whose spouses is Romanian and the other not) as having residency rights. The referendum follows a petition of 3 million Romanians.

Romanian government's anti-gay referendum is 'distraction': NGOs

Romanians will go to the polls this weekend to vote in a referendum on changing the constitution to redefine marriage as being only between a man and a woman, in a move that opponents warn could breach human rights law and worsen homophobic discrimination.

The vote, over Saturday and Sunday, was prompted by a petition started by an umbrella civil society group called Coalition for the Family and signed by nearly 3 million Romanians.
    The constitution currently states that "the family is founded on the freely consented marriage of the spouses, their full equality, as well as the right and duty of the parents to ensure the upbringing, education and instruction of their children," according to a Coalition for the Family translation..............More than 40 members of the European Parliament wrote to Romanian Prime Minister Viorica Dăncilă this week to express their dismay that the referendum was being held at all.
    "This redefinition of family has the potential to harm children in all families by promoting the message that single parent families, non-married partners with children, grandparents raising their grandchildren, rainbow families, and all other families that do not fall under the narrow definition proposed by the referendum do not deserve to be recognized and protected," the letter said.
    Should the EU Commission pursue infringement proceedings against Romania for violation of EU values?
    Save the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Surprised this isnt being reported in Irish media much compared to Hungary and Poland. Romania is voting this weekend on a referendum to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Comes after a recent ECJ ruling that Romanian must treat a gay married couple (one of whose spouses is Romanian and the other not) as having residency rights. The referendum follows a petition of 3 million Romanians.

Should the EU Commission pursue infringement proceedings against Romania for violation of EU values?
    Possibly yes, though I suspect that would have the opposite effect to that intended. No doubt they (and you) will be similarly concerned if your new mate Brett and a majority on the US Supreme Court vote to overturn the ruling legalising gay marriage in the States. As far as I can recall his predecessor Kennedy was the swing 'Yes' vote in that ruling so if the issue comes back before the court, and assuming Gorsuch is a No, then it will all hang on BK.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Europe Elects reports that turnout this afternoon reached a whopping ... 4%! Polls remain open tomorrow, but need to reach 30% for validation, so the opposition boycott may well prove effective.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Breanainn View Post
    Europe Elects reports that turnout this afternoon reached a whopping ... 4%! Polls remain open tomorrow, but need to reach 30% for validation, so the opposition boycott may well prove effective.
    The vote is taking place over 2 days though.
    Save the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully. Would campaigning for a NO vote as opposed to a boycott have been a step too far, I wonder?

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done Romania. You don't see many shirtlifters in that fine country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midlander12 View Post
    Hopefully. Would campaigning for a NO vote as opposed to a boycott have been a step too far, I wonder?
    The Orthodox Church is rather more strict than the RCC on such matters.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Orthodox Church is rather more strict than the RCC on such matters.
    That's because the Orthodox clergy is not peopled by homosexuals.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taidhg Gaelach View Post
    That's because the Orthodox clergy is not peopled by homosexuals.
    One of my best friends is an Old Calendarist Nun in Romania, the Old Caldendarists are a schism over the change in Litgurical Calendar back in the 1920s who saw this in Greece and Romania as the first step to joining Orthodoxy with Western Christendom and are the hardest of the hardcore. I would love for one of the Libtards on here to meet her or one of friends. They don't mess around however they also have a lot of virtues that the Gael used to have.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    One of my best friends is an Old Calendarist Nun in Romania, the Old Caldendarists are a schism over the change in Litgurical Calendar back in the 1920s who saw this in Greece and Romania as the first step to joining Orthodoxy with Western Christendom and are the hardest of the hardcore. I would love for one of the Libtards on here to meet her or one of friends. They don't mess around however they also have a lot of virtues that the Gael used to have.
    I visited some Orthodox convents in Romania myself. Inspiring women.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast