Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Suicide and suicide prevention: Taboo ? Decriminalisation?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Suicide and suicide prevention: Taboo ? Decriminalisation?

This is a subject area that is still highly-stigmatised, as many people feel they cannot talk to people even close family and friends about how they are feeling. It may be a very minor problem, but we all know that even small minor problems can become so big, nobody could be expected to deal with them.

As many people die from suicide each year as die on our roads.

There's not a family in the country that hasn't been affected by suicide.

I was just wondering why we use the phrase "to commit suicide". Is it technically a crime and if so should we decriminalise it???

Is it true that there is only one suicide intervention centre(www.pieta.ie) in Dublin and if so why are there no other centres accross the country in Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford ???

Should there be a national forum on suicide and suicide pervention, so that it would help remove the stigma from the whole issue???

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just as soon as I kill myself you are next on the list

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard somewhere that a fairly high percentage (can't remember what percentage) of delayed trains are due to people throwing themselves on the tracks. The reason suicides are so rarely reported in the media in comparison to murders and assaults is that there is a fear that it would encourage more attempts. The danger with discussion about suicide is that even bringing the topic up in conversation could be enough to encourage some of the more vulnerable.

Not sure if suicide is a crime, I'll check the relevant law over the weekend. The only relevant case I can remember is one where a judge held that neither a coroner nor his jury can find a verdict of suicide, because suicide is an offence and a coroner is prohibited by legislation from finding a verdict that would imply or impose civil or criminal liability. The case is State v Skully, or something like that.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar1916
    I heard somewhere that a fairly high percentage (can't remember what percentage) of delayed trains are due to people throwing themselves on the tracks. The reason suicides are so rarely reported in the media in comparison to murders and assaults is that there is a fear that it would encourage more attempts. The danger with discussion about suicide is that even bringing the topic up in conversation could be enough to encourage some of the more vulnerable.

Not sure if suicide is a crime, I'll check the relevant law over the weekend. The only relevant case I can remember is one where a judge held that neither a coroner nor his jury can find a verdict of suicide, because suicide is an offence and a coroner is prohibited by legislation from finding a verdict that would imply or impose civil or criminal liability. The case is State v Skully, or something like that.
    Regarding train delays - quite a few are down to people committing suicide on the tracks. Actually, the Stereophonics song 'Local Boy in the Photograph' is about that very thing. It might be seen as a quick way of ending your life but it has a very bad effect on the train drivers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Within a five mile radius, two Christmas Day and one Saturday night, and just tonight a friend of a friend in Monaghan. One teenager, one in 20's, one in 40's and one in 80's. drink a factor in just one case but all are men. This is getting out of control and nothing is being done by government to help stop these heartbreaking situations...there is a petition on Facebook to demand more action to help prevent them. If you come across it PLEASE sign it. It's gone totally out of control.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, you can find it on www.3ts.ie.....thanks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a poignant tweet on this very poignant day of the year. Makes one stop and think.

@EvanneNiC: This Christmas, our house is one of too many coping with the recent loss of a loved one by suicide. Mind each other, hug, talk, remember xxx
    #3amigos