Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 86 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 854

Thread: Boris Johnson slammed for saying women in burqas resemble "letter boxes".

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Gleann an Dhorn Daingean
    Posts
    7,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Boris Johnson slammed for saying women in burqas resemble "letter boxes".

    I'm laughing at this. Is it wrong to laugh at this? I remember reading about Afghanistan after the Taliban took over in the 1990s, forcing the women to adopt a style of dress that local men said made them look like "bottles".

    Anyway, letter boxes in the UK are red.

    Irish Independent: Boris Johnson criticized for saying Muslim women wearing burkas 'look like letter boxes'
    Pero camarada, ya han pasado.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    They should be banned in the western world anything that covers the face should be banned for security reasons alone the fact it its a symbol of oppression not culture.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member fat finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,885
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Johnson is right. The purpose of covering up like that for women is to protect them from sandstorms, getting sand up their nose and in their mouths and the scouring effect of the sand on their face skin (sand blasting is used to clean grime and pollution of stone), there is no possible justification for continuing to wear such clothing in Britain where sandstorms are as rare as in Ireland, migrants need to indicate their willingness to embrace their new culture and adopting our clothing traditions is a very good way of demonstrating that willingness

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I can't stand BoJo but he's not wrong on this...

    Plus he was apparently arguing in favour of their 'right' to wear them but obviously thinks they look ludicrous... which they do imo...

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Wascurito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Gleann an Dhorn Daingean
    Posts
    7,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fat finger View Post
    Johnson is right. The purpose of covering up like that for women is to protect them from sandstorms, getting sand up their nose and in their mouths and the scouring effect of the sand on their face skin (sand blasting is used to clean grime and pollution of stone), there is no possible justification for continuing to wear such clothing in Britain wear sandstorms are as rare as in Ireland, migrants need to indicate their willingness to embrace their new culture and adopting our clothing traditions is a very good way of demonstrating willingness
    No. It's to protect the Arab/Islamic idea of a woman's honour (or the Arab/Islamic idea of a woman's honour). For another man to even be allowed look in a lustful manner at a woman's face is an affront to her honour and a huge insult to the man who is her guardian (husband/father/nearest male relative).

    If what you are saying were true, the men would wear them too.
    Pero camarada, ya han pasado.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member bonkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    23,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    I can't stand BoJo but he's not wrong on this...

    Plus he was apparently arguing in favour of their 'right' to wear them but obviously thinks they look ludicrous... which they do imo...
    They do look ludicrous but women have the right to wear whatever they want. Johnson is a racist piece of dirt as previous comments have shown.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    I'm laughing at this. Is it wrong to laugh at this? I remember reading about Afghanistan after the Taliban took over in the 1990s, forcing the women to adopt a style of dress that local men said made them look like "bottles".

    Anyway, letter boxes in the UK are red.

    Irish Independent: Boris Johnson criticized for saying Muslim women wearing burkas 'look like letter boxes'
    Labour's Jess Phillips said she would report Mr Johnson to the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
    Someone tell that stupid MP to get a life.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,717
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    They do look ludicrous but women have the right to wear whatever they want. Johnson is a racist piece of dirt as previous comments have shown.
    Oooooh Bonkers is weally weally cwoss! Read the link in the OP. Johnson is arguing against a ban.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    They do look ludicrous but women have the right to wear whatever they want. Johnson is a racist piece of dirt as previous comments have shown.
    But what happens when they do ...

    Aqsa, a Grade 11 student, was strangled to death in her bedroom in the family home. She was attacked after her brother took her home from a school bus stop.
    ...
    According to an agreed statement of facts presented in court, Aqsa had been experiencing conflict at home and clashed with her family because she chose to wear Western-style clothing and didn't want to cover her hair with the traditional hijab head scarf.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lash-1.4002891

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    I'm laughing at this. Is it wrong to laugh at this? I remember reading about Afghanistan after the Taliban took over in the 1990s, forcing the women to adopt a style of dress that local men said made them look like "bottles".

    Anyway, letter boxes in the UK are red.

    Irish Independent: Boris Johnson criticized for saying Muslim women wearing burkas 'look like letter boxes'
    Might be wrong to laugh, I laughed as well and I don't care. Stupid attire for the stupid.

Page 1 of 86 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •