Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 182 of 184 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184 LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1836

Thread: The Immediate Repercussions of President Donald J. Trump (Second Thread)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    F**K! Time to panic.

More seriously, Powell did not exactly give a glowing recommendation, either. Very much "On the one hand .... on the other hand."

Powell says Fed's balance sheet will be 'substantially smaller,' indicating more tightening ahead

Fed Chairman Powell says he is 'very worried' about growing amount of U.S. debt
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Politics.ie Member JacquesHughes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    But didn't he say that if Mexico didn't pay $5bn he would block all money transfers from Mexican citizens within the US to family back in Mexico? Sounds like he meant he expected actual cash in some very tangible way.

Oh look - from 2016:

I hope the Democrats play this right: he doesn't get a wonder wall

1. He gets staff ( a running monthly cost), in depth, all the way along the border, admitting only those with a right of entry.
    2. The staff are employed by 'the government'. The next tantrum he throws and 'shuts down the government' means the migrants flow in.
    3. The budget for this is taken from 'defense' funding ( he does say it's a security emergency)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    But didn't he say that if Mexico didn't pay $5bn he would block all money transfers from Mexican citizens within the US to family back in Mexico? Sounds like he meant he expected actual cash in some very tangible way.

Oh look - from 2016:

Indeed. It's kind of disorientating and reminiscent of an Orwellian dystopia. Yesterday, the truth was one thing. Today, it's the complete opposite. The most disturbing thing about it, is how so many people are suggestible and so easily taken in by it.

Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The orange moron and his gibberish outed yet again

Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    Indeed. It's kind of disorientating and reminiscent of an Orwellian dystopia. Yesterday, the truth was one thing. Today, it's the complete opposite. The most disturbing thing about it, is how so many people are suggestible and so easily taken in by it.
    I just can't get the word cabbages out of my head when thinking of his base here absolute cabbages.
    Gemakzucht.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bernie Saunders (a well respected politition, if a bit old,) said last week that climate change was more important than the wall. (i.e migration). Climate change has been simmering away there with little public notice to the cost or its priority.

Cher has recommenced the Dems give Trump the wall. She sees what Trump is up to. Remember he told the black voters (what do you have to loose) He is now asking himself (what do I have to loose?).

Its 20 months to November 2020. The campaign will start in June 2020, just 16 months away. He is going to corner voters with a simple choice.

Vote for climate change and create mayhem where nothing else matters and there will be chaos all around you or
    Vote for a wall with no climate change and see you well-being improved right now.

That's the gamble, I don't know who will win, but the battle lines are drawn.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something that news outlets are saying, which also occurred to me, is that the wall, shutdown, national emergency, etc. is merely a distraction to divert attention away from the Mueller investigation and Cohen's upcoming public congressional testament. It might appear to make sense to the Republicans, but it is only a delaying tactic in reality. Republicans are already trying to stifle what Cohen's testimony will be. They are also trying to suppress what the public can be told when Mueller's final report is published. The tactic might work for them because the legal challenges could take years and by then who knows what the political situation will be.
    I cannot see Trump being re-elected unless the Democrats pick a totally unsuitable candidate; which is not by any means certain, i.e. Warren, or Biden - both of whom would be a disastrous choice.
    I think, tho, since Trump proclaimed so strongly on television the responsibility for the shutdown of government, it is going to be huge disadvantage for him if he runs in 2020. But with Trump you can never predict, I also didn't think that he would win in 2016. it seems that he has definitely taken over the mantle from Bill Clinton as the "Teflon President".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwannow View Post
    Something that news outlets are saying, which also occurred to me, is that the wall, shutdown, national emergency, etc. is merely a distraction to divert attention away from the Mueller investigation and Cohen's upcoming public congressional testament. It might appear to make sense to the Republicans, but it is only a delaying tactic in reality. Republicans are already trying to stifle what Cohen's testimony will be. They are also trying to suppress what the public can be told when Mueller's final report is published. The tactic might work for them because the legal challenges could take years and by then who knows what the political situation will be.
    I cannot see Trump being re-elected unless the Democrats pick a totally unsuitable candidate; which is not by any means certain, i.e. Warren, or Biden - both of whom would be a disastrous choice.
    I think, tho, since Trump proclaimed so strongly on television the responsibility for the shutdown of government, it is going to be huge disadvantage for him if he runs in 2020. But with Trump you can never predict, I also didn't think that he would win in 2016. it seems that he has definitely taken over the mantle from Bill Clinton as the "Teflon President".
    Trump loves it ... all the attention, the reporters, the tub-thumping, wild angry statements, jetting off to the border .... it is like campaigning, which is the only part of politics he seems to enjoy.

He does not enjoy "politicking" - negotiating, compromising, making deals or standing by them.

He has to come back to earth sometime. Declaring a National Emergency, which seems to be his last shot, would kick it into courts, and he would have much less to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwannow View Post
    "Teflon President"?

He is the first President who does not even pretend to be everyone's President. It is all about cosseting his base, and hoping it is enough to get him over the line in 2020.

The Wall imbroglio has cost him ... will it be fatal? Time will tell. 538:

The polling news of the week is the ongoing partial government shutdown. A FiveThirtyEight analysis found that Americans increasingly blame President Trump for the partial government shutdown. Recent polls found that 47 percent to 51 percent of Americans blame Trump for the shutdown, while about a third blame congressional Democrats.

Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shutdown now longest in US History - great work Donnie and his temper tantrum