Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Making cycling safer (Second Thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    At times it's actually faster to walk than take the cross-city Luas, and it continues to cause mayhem with bus traffic at Trinity. The problem with comparing us with the rest of Europe is that we are not like the rest of Europe in the sense that the city centre has relatively few residents and for the rest a whole lot of the shopping attractions are way outside. We also have very poor public transport in the city unless you live on the DART line. Who do you imagine will frequent this plaza thing?
    I'm guessing you are hinting at the boardwalk zombies/junkies. I hear you and hadn't thought of it. Alas, this would be a reason not to have any civic space in the city. I don't think this would be a sufficient reason to halt such a project. The population of the City Centre is not what it is in other cities, but it has rapidly grown over the last two decades. Then there are all the people who work, lunch, eat, and drink in the CC. Do you not feel such a space would add to life in the city centre?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'The proposed Fitzwilliam Cycle Route scheme comprises improved facilities for cycling and walking on a one kilometre long route extending from Leeson Street - Fitzwilliam Place junction to Merrion Square North – Holles Street junction along Fitzwilliam Place, Fitzwilliam Street and Merrion Square East.

The route forms part of Secondary Route C7 (South Circular Road to Mount St. Lower) identified in the NTA Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan and is one of a number of routes being developed by Dublin City Council as part of its overall network of 470km of safer cycling routes suitable for cyclists of all ages and abilities.'

Fitzwilliam Cycle Route Non-Statutory Public Consultation - Dublin City Council

Consultations end Friday.

The proposed scheme looks very impressive. From Fitzwilliam Street up to the Holles St turn can often be a mine field as a cyclist, especially at the junction for Holles St.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadaist View Post
    I'm guessing you are hinting at the boardwalk zombies/junkies. I hear you and hadn't thought of it. Alas, this would be a reason not to have any civic space in the city. I don't think this would be a sufficient reason to halt such a project. The population of the City Centre is not what it is in other cities, but it has rapidly grown over the last two decades. Then there are all the people who work, lunch, eat, and drink in the CC. Do you not feel such a space would add to life in the city centre?
    I think most people south of the river would opt for Stephen's Green, one of the squares or Trinity and Boardwalk/Garden of Remembrance on the northside. The proposed plaza is nowhere near anything except Trinity and I honestly don't see an open concrete space being attractive during work hours and God knows what you'll find there the rest of the time. That said, I think we do need more pedestrianisation but not just for the sake of it and it should be more localised. For example places near the canal, along the river on both sides and maybe some areas and suburbs further out.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not sure we are there yet in relation to public transport in Dublin. For example, penalising motorists who come in from the likes of Meath and Kildare just wouldn't work. The new bus scheme looks promising, but congestion charges only work if the alternative is an efficient and all encompassing public transport system. Penalising motorists with the likes of congestion charges would be counter productive to Dublin and the wider economy. In saying that your 8 hour suggestion might work in the future.
    My proposal was meant as a starting point to raise the principle that car ownership in the city ought to be the exception rather than the norm.

I take your point about commuters, I used to be one myself. It's not insurmountable - park and ride being the obvious suggestion. Of course we'd also need proper policing of public transport. My last trip on the Luas from Stephen's Green was shared with 3 individuals who were discussing their arrest and detention for D&D the night before and knocking back cans as they did so. Not an enticing prospect for any commuter.

The 8 hour suggestion was to allow for reasonable access while making it expensive to drive a car in and park it all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    I think most people south of the river would opt for Stephen's Green, one of the squares or Trinity and Boardwalk/Garden of Remembrance on the northside. The proposed plaza is nowhere near anything except Trinity and I honestly don't see an open concrete space being attractive during work hours and God knows what you'll find there the rest of the time. That said, I think we do need more pedestrianisation but not just for the sake of it and it should be more localised. For example places near the canal, along the river on both sides and maybe some areas and suburbs further out.
    The Dodder Greenway is also currently in consultation. The current proposal is for a cycling and pedestrian greenway from the Dodder's source in the Dublin Mountains all the way into the City Centre. While this project may, or may not happen in its entirety, the part from Landsdowne up will go ahead as planned, and I believe is part of a wider plan for pedestrianised schemes. Although, that is about as much as I have read of so far.

As for college Green being nowhere near anything other than Trinity. It is pretty much adjacent to the bottom of Grafton St, within about 100m from the Liffey, ergo O'Connell Bridge and O'Connell St. We are still talking in metres here. Can you name a busier place in the city for pedestrians? I can't think of any.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought one of those high beam lights recently. I need one for unlit roads. Not in a million years would I have thought of how bright the flashing light is for other road users. Only from a comment on a review of the product where I bought it did I realises how annoying/dangerous they are. I had a look directly at the flashing light from a distance and realised the impact it would have. Since then I point it towards the ground and the flash light is a lot less concentrated.

The thing about flashing lights for cyclists, is that they are proven to be safer. They jump out from the background lights at night and are noticed by drivers a lot more. I'd imagine the ban in Holland is like much else in Holland and related to the safety of their cycling infrastructure.

The test TV programmes and Ads have to undergo to see if Programmes require a warning for photo sensitive epilepsy is called the Harding Test ...Im fairly sure these lights would fail the Harding Test and are capable of triggering an epilepsy event ..........

As well as blinding oncoming road users
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    The test TV programmes and Ads have to undergo to see if Programmes require a warning for photo sensitive epilepsy is called the Harding Test ...Im fairly sure these lights would fail the Harding Test and are capable of triggering an epilepsy event ..........

As well as blinding oncoming road users
    Interesting point. All electronic devices must pass certain safety tests. I'd have no objection to making sure bike lights are safe for people who suffer epilepsy.

As for blinding oncoming traffic, car lights are many times more powerful than a bike light powered by an AA battery etc. I do acknowledge that if a cyclist is behind a vehicle, especially a car in slow or stopped traffic, then powerful bike lights can cause a serious distraction. As I said before, this is why I point my light at the ground. I really does work in reducing the lights intensity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    My proposal was meant as a starting point to raise the principle that car ownership in the city ought to be the exception rather than the norm.

I take your point about commuters, I used to be one myself. It's not insurmountable - park and ride being the obvious suggestion. Of course we'd also need proper policing of public transport. My last trip on the Luas from Stephen's Green was shared with 3 individuals who were discussing their arrest and detention for D&D the night before and knocking back cans as they did so. Not an enticing prospect for any commuter.

The 8 hour suggestion was to allow for reasonable access while making it expensive to drive a car in and park it all day.
    When is the like function coming back?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When is the like function coming back?
    Shucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Dodder Greenway is also currently in consultation. The current proposal is for a cycling and pedestrian greenway from the Dodder's source in the Dublin Mountains all the way into the City Centre. While this project may, or may not happen in its entirety, the part from Landsdowne up will go ahead as planned, and I believe is part of a wider plan for pedestrianised schemes. Although, that is about as much as I have read of so far.

As for college Green being nowhere near anything other than Trinity. It is pretty much adjacent to the bottom of Grafton St, within about 100m from the Liffey, ergo O'Connell Bridge and O'Connell St. We are still talking in metres here. Can you name a busier place in the city for pedestrians? I can't think of any.
    Such schemes are great and where feasible they make sense. The College Green thing just doesn't and I just can't see any merit in it whatsoever. Pedestrians are walking elsewhere. Why do they need a plaza? Walked past it this evening and it is a key cog in moving transport north to south but it is surrounded by nondescript tourist shops and sandwich bars. Then there is that transport problem. Push it too far north or south and passengers end up a very long way from the city centre, which defeats the purpose of this so-called public space never mind the additional traffic issues that will unquestionably occur elsewhere.

The latest on it.

An Bord Pleanála delay decision on 'highly complex' College Green plaza | Irish Examiner
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway