Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 119

Thread: Before the Civil War: The Newtowncunningham incident in Co. Donegal, May 1922

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Éireann_Ascendant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Before the Civil War: The Newtowncunningham incident in Co. Donegal, May 1922

    Article on a clash in Co. Donegal in May 1922 during the lead-up to the Civil War.

    A Debatable Ambush: The Newtowncunningham Incident in Co. Donegal, May 1922

    On the 4th May 1922, a convoy of pro-Treaty IRA men drove through the town of Newtowncunningham, Co. Donegal, and came under fire from a party of their anti-Treaty counterparts. The engagement lasted no more than three minutes, yet had been savage in its intensity, with three men killed, all Donegal natives from the pro-Treaty side. One survivor described it as a "veritable tornado."

    That it was an ambush, as initially reported, would be among the details disputed in the days to come.


    (Pro-Treaty soldiers on a lorry)

    At the inquest conducted by the pro-Treaty authorities, it was claimed that the convoy had been callously lured into a trap. In response, Seán Lehane, the commanding officer of the anti-Treaty IRA in Donegal, wrote to the press to tell his side of the story.

    His men in Newtowncunningham, he said, had been unaware of the identity of the convoy coming towards them, thinking it to be of the British military that was stationed in nearby Derry. When the newcomers were revealed to be fellow Irishmen, Lehane called on them to halt and had instead been fired upon. In the resulting shoot-out, it had been the Pro-Treatyites, Lehane claimed, who had precipitated it with the first shot.

    Lehane also stressed the essentially defensive nature of his side: "On several occasions parties of them were at our mercy, but we fired only with the intention of dislodging them."

    It was only later that the news that a truce between the two hostile factions had been signed in Dublin that morning reached Donegal - too late to have made a difference in Newtowncunningham.

    One detail that Lehane left out was that he had been in Donegal, despite being from Cork, in the first place as part of a joint venture, secretly agreed by Michael Collins and Liam Lynch, to continue the fight against British rule in Ulster. The Anti-Treatyites would provide the manpower, while the other side supplied weapons.

    At some point, however, this accord had gone badly wrong, resulting in five deaths altogether on the 4th May, two of them civilians, and a furthering of the bitter divisions between former comrades.


    (Newtowncunningham today)

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Éireann_Ascendant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Articles on two similar incidents where pro and anti-Treaty forces clashed in the months before the Civil War began in earnest:

    A Death in Athlone: The Controversial Case of George Adamson, April 1922


    Bloodshed in Mullingar: Civil War Begins in Co. Westmeath, April 1922

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Imperial Throne
    Posts
    44,282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The anti treaty account in the OP does not sound in the least plausible.
    Also highly unlikely that fanatic lunatic Liam Lynch and Collins would have agreed on anything .
    This is history written by some Fianna Fáil Devalera embongi with the usual agenda to twist the truth.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3,371
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    The renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) were obviously not the IRA. They had already deserted the army of the Irish Republic, the Irish Republican Army, and defected to the renegade Free State army from late Jan. 1922.
    Last edited by Talk Back; 5th August 2018 at 06:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3,371
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Also, what did the renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) expect? They were driving around in British army trucks that their allies the British army gave them.

    The renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) were in fact Crown Forces - it says so in the minutes if the treaty talks. The British army fought side by side with the Free State army during its illegal war against the Irish Republic as declared in 1916, in 1922/23.
    Last edited by Talk Back; 5th August 2018 at 07:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Imperial Throne
    Posts
    44,282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talk Back View Post
    The renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) were obviously not the IRA. They had already deserted the army of the Irish Republic, the Irish Republican Army, and defected to the renegade Free State army from late Jan. 1922.
    Rubbish.
    The people voted to accept the treaty and murderous fascist anti treaty types decided to kill their fellow countrymen .

    you de Valera and the rest of the gutties have peddled nothing but fascist shyte to this very day.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Imperial Throne
    Posts
    44,282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talk Back View Post
    Also, what did the renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) expect? They were driving around in British army trucks that their allies the British army gave them.

    The renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) were in fact Crown Forces - it says so in the minutes if the treaty talks. The British army fought side by side with the Free State army during its illegal war against the Irish Republic as declared in 1916, in 1922/23.
    You hate democracy and want to murder Irish people who support it.
    All in the name of a fascist republic controlled by mad extremists with no sense of reality or morality.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3,371
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Rubbish.
    The people voted to accept the treaty and murderous fascist anti treaty types decided to kill their fellow countrymen .

    you de Valera and the rest of the gutties have peddled nothing but fascist shyte to this very day.
    You only think it is rubbish because you clearly know nothing about what you are posting about.

    The people never voted on the treaty - the 'Pact' approved by Dail Eirean on the 20th of May and by the Sinn Fein Party on the 23rd of May prevented the people voting on the treaty. Everyone (except Griffith) wanted to remove the electorate from the responsibility of voting on the treaty until the voter registry was updated and the Free State constitution was ready for debate - and they wanted to avert war. Only a moron would suggest that people voted for war.

    Read and learn https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates.../1922-05-20/2/

    The 'Pact' were the terms under which the election was run. Sinn Fein ran a joint panel of candidates to form a coalition government to third Dail Eireann. The 'Pact' was binding, and accepted by all in the interest of peace. Dail Eireann rose on the 8th of June and was to reconvene on the 30th of June to discuss the results before forming the third Dail Eireann at 12 P.M. on the 1st of July. 1922.

    The renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) had NO authority to attack the Irish Republic on June 28th, four days after the 'Pact' election votes were counted on June 24th - and suppress Dail Eireann two days before it was scheduled to meet to discuss the results of the 'Pact' election on June 30th, and to form the new Dail Eireann (3rd) on July 1st. at 12 p.m.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Imperial Throne
    Posts
    44,282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talk Back View Post
    You only think it is rubbish because you clearly know nothing about what you are posting about.

    The people never voted on the treaty - the 'Pact' approved by Dail Eirean on the 20th of May and by the Sinn Fein Party on the 23rd of May prevented the people voting on the treaty." Everyone (except Griffith) wanted to remove the electorate from the responsibility of voting on the treaty until the voter registry was updated and the Free State constitution was ready for debate - and they wanted to avert war. Only a moron would suggest that people voted for war.

    Read and learn https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates.../1922-05-20/2/

    The 'Pact' were the terms under which the election was run. Sinn Fein ran a joint panel of candidates to form a coalition government to third Dail Eireann. Dáil Éireann. The 'Pact' was binding, and accepted by all in the interest of peace. Dail Eireann rose on the 8th of June and was to reconvene on the 30th of June to discuss the results before forming the 3rd Dail Eireann at 12 P.M. on the 1st of July. 1922.

    The renegade Free State army (deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles) had NO authority to attack the Irish Republic on June 28th, four days after the 'Pact' election votes were counted on June 24th - and suppress Dail Eireann two days before it was scheduled to meet to discuss the results of the 'Pact' election on June 30th, and to form the new Dail Eireann (3rd) on July 1st. at 12 p.m.
    You are seeking to re write history.
    The treaty was accepted by majority vote in Dáil Éireann.
    De Valera then walked out.
    A subsequent general election showed even greater support for the treaty.

    There was no way that hostilities against the English could achieve anything once the treaty was agreed by Dáil Éireann.
    Collins knew exactly how depleted the Ira was.

    Devalera did not and shrouded himself in a cloak of murderous self righteousness .
    He then instigated the civil war.

    That is the reality and you have been following that bad Phuker ever since.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3,371
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    You are seeking to re write history.
    The treaty was accepted by majority vote in Dáil Éireann.
    De Valera then walked out.
    A subsequent general election showed even greater support for the treaty.

    There was no way that hostilities against the English could achieve anything once the treaty was agreed by Dáil Éireann.
    Collins knew exactly how depleted the Ira was.

    Devalera did not and shrouded himself in a cloak of murderous self righteousness .
    He then instigated the civil war.

    That is the reality and you have been following that bad Phuker ever since.
    Go away you fool.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •