Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 5128 of 5225 FirstFirst ... 4128462850285078511851245125512651275128512951305131513251385178 ... LastLast
Results 51,271 to 51,280 of 52250

Thread: BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Bless right back at ya.

We're not looking for ALL of it. Even a tiny fraction of London's financial business migrating to Ireland is a big win for a country the size of Ireland. Anything extra from what is already known is just gravy. And we are getting a fraction of it. We've already won that front.

Post-Brexit we'll be the only English-speaking, politically-stable, well-educated country that is firmly within the EU. That is going to make Ireland an attractive destination for global FDI.

A UI, which is now inevitable and imminent, is a major strategic win for the nation of course, no matter how much poo-pooing might go on from the usual suspects on p.ie.

There are other less tangible wins that we've already banked. Out soft diplomacy profile has been greatly enhanced - worldwide. Our politicians have looked sane, sensible and competent compared to the barking mad lunacy from the Brits. Our political system has mostly reacted to Brexit with a remarkable show of maturity and cross-party unity of purpose. We've demonstrated planning and an ability to react to adverse circumstances out of our control. All these things get noticed.

It has had a subtle but profound cultural/psychological impact on most of the nation. You could even say, without being accused of too much hyperbole, that Brexit is the moment where the Irish grew up and finally graduated onto the world stage in their own right. The long shadow of UK rule and domination has been firmly cast off and it is wonderful to see.

In the long run Brexit is going to be rather awesome for Ireland on all sorts of different levels. Go Brexit!
    I hope this doesn't mean you're coming home?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tippytop View Post
    I never claimed to be Irish, i said id visited there (the South) and liked it ??????????
    I didn't suggest it. I said that you were Irish, pretending to be an American. And really, citing an IP address as proof of nationality is a rather lame way of proving it. Anyone can get an IP address from anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes by signing up to a VPN service for a modest monthly fee, and I have thought of doing so myself in order to receive services like Netflix on holidays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    And what should she have done differently, o wise one?
    Lots of different things that were mention on here before.

Plan of action before Article 50. Not having red lines that contradicted each other. Seek a consensus in Parliament beforehand. Seek cross party support beforehand or even now instead of being held to ransom by the ERG & DUP.

Even stick to what she agreed numerous times with the EU but then reneged on.

Things like that. Instead she has comprehensively outmaneuvered herself - hence putting herself into a corner.
    'The rich always betray the poor’. - Henry Joy McCracken

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raetsel View Post
    I didn't suggest it. I said that you were Irish, pretending to be an American. And really, citing an IP address as proof of nationality is a rather lame way of proving it. Anyone can get an IP address from anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes by signing up to a VPN service for a modest monthly fee, and I have thought of doing so myself in order to receive services like Netflix on holidays.
    LOL my only connection with ireland is golf vacations........

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Please make it stop!
    Mark Murray.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A list of the 70 non-EU countries that the EU has trade agreements with.

Albania
    Algeria
    Andorra
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Botswana
    Cameroon
    Canada
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Ivory Coast
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    Ecuador
    Egypt
    El Salvador
    Eswatini (formerly Swaziland)
    Faroe Islands
    Fiji
    FYR Macedonia (North Macedonia)
    Georgia
    Ghana
    Grenada
    Guatemala
    Guyana
    Honduras
    Iceland
    Israel
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Jordan
    Kosovo
    Lebanon
    Lesotho
    Liechtenstein
    Madagascar
    Mauritius
    Mexico
    Moldova
    Montenegro
    Morocco
    Mozambique
    Namibia
    Nicaragua
    Norway
    Palestinian Authority
    Panama
    Papua New Guinea
    Peru
    San Marino
    Serbia
    Seychelles
    South Africa
    South Korea
    St Kitts & Nevis
    St Lucia
    St Vincent
    Suriname
    Switzerland
    Syria
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Tunisia
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    Zimbabwe

List of EU trade agreements - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament

Every EU member obviously has free trade with every other EU member, so each EU member has free trade deals with 97 other countries.

A No Deal Brexit means the UK will have trade deals with 6 other countries (Chile, the Faroe Islands
    and the Eastern and Southern African (ESA) states (Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles and
    Zimbabwe)), which it already has trade deals with as an EU member.
    Mark Murray.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    74% of Irish people concerned no deal will lead to a return to violence.
    The hardcore imperialist, lately neocon element of British spookery which together with much of the MOD formerly used Ireland as a rarified wargame will need watching. They in fairness have been kept on a leash regarding Ireland since the late 90ies but then they've had the ME, Balkans, Libya Ukraine to endulge their Kitchenerite appetite for bedlam. Uppity Ireland - the ditching of the Cruiserite pro-Westminister obsequiousess 'Maturity' mantra - getting suitably returned to its proper status may well be too much of enticement for them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    A list of the 70 non-EU countries that the EU has trade agreements with.

Albania
    Algeria
    Andorra
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Botswana
    Cameroon
    Canada
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Ivory Coast
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    Ecuador
    Egypt
    El Salvador
    Eswatini (formerly Swaziland)
    Faroe Islands
    Fiji
    FYR Macedonia (North Macedonia)
    Georgia
    Ghana
    Grenada
    Guatemala
    Guyana
    Honduras
    Iceland
    Israel
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Jordan
    Kosovo
    Lebanon
    Lesotho
    Liechtenstein
    Madagascar
    Mauritius
    Mexico
    Moldova
    Montenegro
    Morocco
    Mozambique
    Namibia
    Nicaragua
    Norway
    Palestinian Authority
    Panama
    Papua New Guinea
    Peru
    San Marino
    Serbia
    Seychelles
    South Africa
    South Korea
    St Kitts & Nevis
    St Lucia
    St Vincent
    Suriname
    Switzerland
    Syria
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Tunisia
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    Zimbabwe

List of EU trade agreements - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament

Every EU member obviously has free trade with every other EU member, so each EU member has free trade deals with 97 other countries.

A No Deal Brexit means the UK will have trade deals with 6 other countries (Chile, the Faroe Islands
    and the Eastern and Southern African (ESA) states (Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles and
    Zimbabwe)), which it already has trade deals with as an EU member.
    Trade agreement doesnt automatically mean "free" trade though does it........

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tippytop View Post
    Trade agreement doesnt automatically mean "free" trade though does it........
    This continues to baffle me. Despite all their endless yelping on the subject of trade neither Brexiteers nor Trumpists actually seem to have the faintest fncking notion how global trade actually works, and what is actually meant by the term "Free Trade Agreement"

And despite not having a damn clue, they then chortle and sneer at people who actually do know what they are talking about and use the terms correctly. Just a shower of anti-intellectual ignorant knuckledragging yahoos really.

Like I keep saying - Dunning-Kruger writ large.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Interesting one re what May should have done. I've previously advocated that she should have built a national gov or deal over Brexit with Labour, and taken all the time and advice needed before triggering A50.

I've since concluded that she's simply not fit for the job. The obvious choice is Boris. We would have broken our sh1t laughing at him and GB these last year's, and the EU would have long since told him to get lost.

I do look forward to the UK getting its reward for its consistent fookwittery and time wasting. I recommend at least two and a half years as no deal pariahs so they can get into their head where they really stand on the world stage. If ever a country that needed a good slap to come to its senses...