Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [B] Abuse vigil planned for the same time as Pope’s Mass[/B] Sunday 26/08/18, 3pm.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default [B] Abuse vigil planned for the same time as Pope’s Mass[/B] Sunday 26/08/18, 3pm.

Abuse vigil planned for the same time as Pope’s Mass

Colm O’Gorman: Without simple truth, there can be no justice.

Survivors of clerical sex abuse have been invited to an event in the Garden of Remembrance at the same time as Pope Francis celebrates Mass in the Phoenix Park amid growing anger over speculation the Pontiff may not meet victims’ groups.

It is understood Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has been pushing for a meeting to take place but that time pressures could mean any meeting would be with a sample or representative group. Any meeting would also likely be held in private.

The situation has sparked anger among survivors and led to Colm O’Gorman, executive director with Amnesty Ireland, outlining plans for a vigil in the Garden of Remembrance at 3pm on Sunday, August 26, when the Pope will be celebrating the Final Mass in the Phoenix Park.

Mr. O’ G or man tweeted: “We cannot and will not allow this visit to simply disappear those who have suffered. This event will be a moment to assert and respect the dignity of those who have been abused and to stand in solidarity with them. To mark an end to the Ireland that allowed this to happen.”

Mr. O’Gorman, speaking later, said the event in the Garden of Remembrance was not meant in any way to disrespect the Mass in the Phoenix Park or the motivations of “deep respect” in those attending it.

But he said: “It is an opportunity for people to stand in solidarity in a way that respects and acknowledges the dignity of people who have been so damaged by the Church”.

He said a meeting with survivors seemed “so down the pecking order”, causing hurt and anger among those affected.

“The only thing that Pope Francis needs to do when he comes to Ireland is to tell the damn truth,” he said.

“Without simple truth, there can be no justice.”

On RTÉ’s Today with Miriam programme, abuse survivor and former member of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors in the Vatican, Marie Collins said: “He [Pope Francis] should be meeting representatives of the industrial schools, of the Magdalene Laundries, of the mother and baby homes simply as a recognition of those horrors.

“Ignoring an issue is not going to make it go away.”

She added it would be “completely untenable” not to address all survivor groups.

Hope to see you there.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

were you abused?

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post

Hope to see you there.
    I won't be anywhere near any of it but no problem with it... particularly if there are still doubts about him meeting with victims...

For myself however, I'm hoping to get through those few days far away from Dublin city centre in a p!ssed stupor...

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troll account View Post
    were you abused?
    If you call been beaten up regularly by so-called "christian" brothers and lay teachers then yes. But this is for my friends who were raped and violated by the clergy.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If we havent realised by now that the RCC is like any other child trafficking/sex abuse ring, we have understood nothing.

I dont care what your religious beliefs are, or what Jesus would think. This was a criminal operation on our soil. They did far, far, far more damage than the RUC the British Army and the B-Specials - all combined.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hope to see you there.

An inappropriate location for the vigil IMO.
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    If we havent realised by now that the RCC is like any other child trafficking/sex abuse ring, we have understood nothing.

I dont care what your religious beliefs are, or what Jesus would think. This was a criminal operation on our soil. They did far, far, far more damage than the RUC the British Army and the B-Specials - all combined.
    To be fair, they were ably assisted by successive FFG governments and AGS here for decades.....
    FFG. Keeping the Axis of Corruption intact!

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Ted Crilly View Post
    To be fair, they were ably assisted by successive FFG governments and AGS here for decades.....
    It was the carnival of reaction we were promised by Connolly. The biggest lesson I got in my life regarding Irish politics is that us Northerners werent the only victims. There is a certain purity, lol, in knowing you were going to get the fuzzy end of the lollipop because you were just a Northern Fenian at the height of the Mad Orange State. Its another thing to know the Republic ate its own, when we were so desperate to be there.

Drive them down.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you call been beaten up regularly by so-called "christian" brothers and lay teachers then yes. But this is for my friends who were raped and violated by the clergy.
    You want the homosexuals in the church to deal with lay teachers giving you a slap?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post

If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast