Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 142 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: THE ABSOLUTE STATE of P.ie

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Angry THE ABSOLUTE STATE of P.ie

The site was down for an unacceptable amount of time.

This outage had particularly bad timing - while I was in the hospital after being hit by a car. That may or may not have contributed to the latency. If anything is broken, I'm not sure why currently. I believe there's an issue with how the database is caching and I've reached out to Jdeg about it.

I've been very hands off on Politics.ie for years - and it seems there are major issues with the site. I want to figure out where we stand, how broken things are and how you guys feel about it (I already know the answer to the second half of that statement).

I've also created a discord chat to assure I can be pinged easily: https://discord.gg/cbF998A

To start - what I've noticed:
    The search bar doesn't appear to be working
    Posts are often duplicated
    Half the time 'quote user' doesn't work
    Like functionality has vanished

As I've said - I don't spend enough time here, I'll be refocusing my efforts now to fix what I can and hopefully rectify some previous negligence. I can't always promise to be here but I'd like you to let me know your thoughts, guys.

*ducks*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New mods needed for a start, the ones you have here are awful.

Do yourself a favour, pinch a few from Political Irish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Maybe consider charging for premium membership. Maybe have a mirror site as backup in case p.ie goes down. I think using Capchas like some forums do might help get rid of bots.
    Jobs not Mobs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I'd also like to apologize to both the users and the mods for being so hands off with the site for so long, and for abandoning the team that works hard to keep it afloat in my absence.

Maybe add that to your OP, brah.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

That's mighty generous of your Senor Danger.

Not sure that anyone is quite ready to erm.... accept your apologies though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why did you even buy an Irish Political site Monte, what are your real interests here?

Would it not be better to just sell the place to someone who really has an interest in Ireland and Irish politics with a bit of know how?

No idea what you paid, but I am willing to bet if you sold it you could still turn a profit.

Time to hand it over to people who actually care.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    That's mighty generous of your Senor Danger.
    I'm all heart, NYCKY. Filled with empathy and compassion.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Set up an anonymous account and use the site for a few months. That's how you'll get answers.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, fair play. You are standing out for a few rotten tomatoes. 1. Sorry about the arm - but has nothing to do with it, unless you approve every post. Hope you get better. 2. You should have been here years ago. Did a wee sore arm make you think of that? 3. Site fúcks up regularly (See 2). 4. IT guys know what to do - modernise. I'm not an IT guy, which should say something about you. 5. Site NOT fit for purpose. 6. MODS - Plenty of us have modded sites - much, much bigger than this. Pi.ie's MODS think they are the only ones who have ever modded. I'm almost banned over things no-one will justify (in fact looking forward to it) You will not spend more time, why should you as I am here more than you and I am likely to leave. Prove me wrong.
    'The rich always betray the poor’. - Henry Joy McCracken

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The absentee landlord thing is causing problems with the P.ie community. You need to become an active member of the community.

The search function hasn't worked for months.

The housekeeping scripts that jdeg set to run were set to run right after the most popular political late night TV show ended and the after-show discussion began. They basically killed the prospect of any post-show discussion. Admittedly the show has gone downhill since the original host retired.

Your mods have become a self-replicating clique. You need to reevaluate the selection process and the current mods.

Apart from all that, you have some serious technical issues with the site software to sort out first.
    Last edited by jmcc; 2nd August 2018 at 04:48 AM.
    Regards...jmcc

Page 1 of 142 123451151101 ... LastLast