Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish defence spending is by far the lowest in the EU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish defence spending is by far the lowest in the EU

Andy Storey (a board member of a group Action called from Ireland) has a bee in his bonnet about Irish defence spending. We should be spending less, sez Andy....because neutrality.

I've never understood Irish neutrality. It never seemed to be anything more than a overly pious inability to deal with the reality that the world is still a nasty place. Our defence spending is by far the lowest in the EU as a percentage of GDP but other notable neutrals such as Switzerland, Sweden, Finland and Austria maintain their neutrality while spending far more than we do.

No-one has ever really defined what Irish neutrality means and a good start for those who advocate it would be to figure out in their own heads what precisely they're advocating for. When they do that, they might explain how spending money on our defence forces makes us less "neutral".

DUBLIN INQUIRER: NEUTRAL IRELAND SHOULDN’T BE INCREASING MILITARY SPENDING
    Pero camarada, ya han pasado.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

define the threats? this isnt a board game where we wake up after Zimbabwe declaring war on ireland, didnt see that coming. terrorism , cranky northerners and smugglars doesnt call for main battle tanks or heavy artillary.
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    define the threats? this isnt a board game where we wake up after Zimbabwe declaring war on ireland, didnt see that coming. terrorism , cranky northerners and smugglars doesnt call for main battle tanks or heavy artillary.
    Jets scrambled after Russian bombers skirt Irish airspace

The jets that were scrambled weren't Irish.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Neutrality and energy policy the two pillars of a juvenile nation depending on others to support them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post

was it going to attack , as far as I am aware the irish army would not be able to deploy quickly to a random spot in ireland, they are the kind of goals i'd like to see or a navy/coastguard that could deal with a ferry disaster. possibly drone technology for coastal protection. it would be dumb and far too expensive to have a defence force that could repel a British, French or US invasion. A poison pill post invasion plan B might be interesting though
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We'll be building bunkers under the wall meanwhile come the four horsemen of the next emergency and yez are rubber dvcked…
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We can't even pay the ones we have Col Blimp so chill dafuq.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post

Russia could destroy the world if they wanted to and no amount of Irish air force capability would change that fact.

Having said that listening to the increasing hostility emanating from parts of the British 'establishment' towards Ireland and perhaps tooling up wouldn't be a bad idea to at least consider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    was it going to attack , as far as I am aware the irish army would not be able to deploy quickly to a random spot in ireland, they are the kind of goals i'd like to see or a navy/coastguard that could deal with a ferry disaster. possibly drone technology for coastal protection. it would be dumb and far too expensive to have a defence force that could repel a British, French or US invasion. A poison pill post invasion plan B might be interesting though
    You mentioned terrorism as a threat.

"In the event of terrorist attacks [by air], aircraft transponders are routinely turned off or disabled, rendering them invisible. In such circumstances, Ireland is one of the only states in the European Union which cannot ‘see’ into its airspace by way of primary radar."

Tom Clonan: Why it's time to have an open and honest debate about our neutrality

We'll never match the big countries but that's no excuse for the current state of prostration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For those struggling with the term.
    neutrality
    njuːˈtralɪti/
    noun
    noun: neutrality
    the state of not supporting or helping either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartiality
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast