Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 694

Thread: Sligo County Council Election 2009

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Sligo County Council Election 2009

    Who is running in 2009?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member essexboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Don't think anyone has been officially nominated yet, but probably the usual crew.
    Rumour in Drumcliffe Area that a local Garda will have retired by 2009 and may throw his hat in the ring for FF.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Sligo County Council Election 2009

    Confirmes so far

    Gerry farry Greens N Leitrim
    Alwyn Love Lab Dromore West

    Looking for nominations

    Kieran ODowd FF Tubber
    D Mulvey FG Dromore West

  4. #4
    Red Revolutionary
    Guest

    Default Re:

    Quote Originally Posted by essexboy
    Don't think anyone has been officially nominated yet, but probably the usual crew.
    Rumour in Drumcliffe Area that a local Garda will have retired by 2009 and may throw his hat in the ring for FF.
    If thats who I think it is, what a nutjob.

  5. #5
    Red Revolutionary
    Guest

    Default Re: Sligo County Council Election 2009

    I cant see Devins running again, and if he does he wont get in.
    Likewise Eammonn Scanlon will find it hard getting in.
    I presume Henry will fancy her chances this time around.
    Perry will be in again.
    Bree will be running as an Independant, might squeeze in this time.
    Likewise I can see Mc Manus doing better, doubt he will get in though.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member essexboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Sligo County Council Election 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Revolutionary
    I cant see Devins running again, and if he does he wont get in.
    Likewise Eammonn Scanlon will find it hard getting in.
    I presume Henry will fancy her chances this time around.
    Perry will be in again.
    Bree will be running as an Independant, might squeeze in this time.
    Likewise I can see Mc Manus doing better, doubt he will get in though.
    Scanlon cannot stand in the local elctions as he is now a TD. Which Devins do you mean - Jimmy who cannot stand either or Jude "the Obscure" from Rosses Point (very silent about the water disruption!).

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Sligo County Council Election 2009

    Dont know what Red Revoloutionary is on, but seems to have gone of track.
    Hope they can recover from this blip and get back to reality.

    With the boundary changes for the locals, many sitting councillors are in trouble.

    McGarry Sligo/Strandhill
    Sherlock Dromore West
    Lundy Tubbercurry

    The changes look very interesting for Dromore West
    There is 2 distinct areas, 1 North and west of the Ox mountains and the other South of the Mountain.
    I believe that Love labour has been campaining in this area since May
    He seems to have a very high profile there.

    McGarry is the first general election canditate to lose votes in their local area compared to local election.

    Lundy has done nothing in The Tubber area and only got in because of poor canditate selection by other parties.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member essexboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Sligo County Council Election 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by new face
    Dont know what Red Revoloutionary is on, but seems to have gone of track.
    Hope they can recover from this blip and get back to reality.

    With the boundary changes for the locals, many sitting councillors are in trouble.

    McGarry Sligo/Strandhill
    Sherlock Dromore West
    Lundy Tubbercurry

    The changes look very interesting for Dromore West
    There is 2 distinct areas, 1 North and west of the Ox mountains and the other South of the Mountain.
    I believe that Love labour has been campaining in this area since May
    He seems to have a very high profile there.

    McGarry is the first general election canditate to lose votes in their local area compared to local election.

    Lundy has done nothing in The Tubber area and only got in because of poor canditate selection by other parties.
    poor canditate selection by other parties

    Aidan Calleary's brother is wanted for sex crimes in Arizona - hardly the best recommendation for a candidate - but Aidan was still elected in Tubbercurry.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Sligoboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Sligo
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Sligo County Council Election 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by new face
    Dont know what Red Revoloutionary is on, but seems to have gone of track.
    Hope they can recover from this blip and get back to reality.

    With the boundary changes for the locals, many sitting councillors are in trouble.

    McGarry Sligo/Strandhill
    Sherlock Dromore West
    Lundy Tubbercurry

    The changes look very interesting for Dromore West
    There is 2 distinct areas, 1 North and west of the Ox mountains and the other South of the Mountain.
    I believe that Love labour has been campaining in this area since May
    He seems to have a very high profile there.

    McGarry is the first general election canditate to lose votes in their local area compared to local election.

    Lundy has done nothing in The Tubber area and only got in because of poor canditate selection by other parties.
    As much as I dislike Mcgarry his seat in the locals is safe enough. He has a strong personal vote and the boundary changes don't affect him from what I can gather. His performance in the GE cant be used as an example to show him in trouble locally. If any thing his vote from his own ward held up reasonably well, there was no significant decrease and certainly not the meltdown that had been predicted. It must be remembered that Labour has been steadily losing votes for well over a decade in GE's in this constituency.

    Needless to say there will be no major surprises in the Locals. All current cllrs with the exception of perhaps McManus jnr are fairly certain of retaining their seat. As much as I'd love to see it there will be no major back lash against FF over the Cancer services issue. On that note however the councillors who have been most active on that campaign will most likely increase their vote. Namely Bree, Gibbons, Cawley and to a lessor extent Henry
    Veni, vidi, arrivederci

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Sligo County Council Election 2009

    Dont agree
    There are generally 4 or more changes each local election
    Dont know much about the borough council

    It is hard to imagine any of the following getting reelected

    Higgins Sligo strandhill
    McGarry Sligo strandhill
    Kilgannon N Sligo
    Fleming Tubbercurry
    Lundy Tubbercurry
    Sherlock Dromore west
    Barrett Dromore west

    It would be a sad reflection on the electorate if any of the above were returned
    Mind that same eloctorate put Devins back in the Dail and elected 2 TDs from the same street in only the 4th most populated area in Sligo

Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •