Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Half-Earth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Half-Earth

Earths real environmental problem is direct co-opting or destruction of natural ecosystems by humans. "Climate Change" is, for the most part, a bullshít scam pushed by UN bureaucrats, professional parasites, fraudsters, activist wingnuts and corporate criminals. We could eliminate all CO2 emissions tomorrow and the planet would still die. Climate Change is beside the point. The only way to save the diversity of life on planet Earth from direct destruction by human beings is to designate half of it's land and sea area as strictly protected reserve. This is the startling claim of Edward Wilson, based on a lifetime's study of the mathematics of island biogeography

Known as the father of sociobiology, he is also hailed as the pre-eminent champion of biodiversity: Wilson coined the word “biophilia” to suggest that people have an innate affinity for other species, and his now widely accepted “theory of island biogeography” explains why national parks and all confined landscapes inevitably lose species.
    Wilson recently calculated that the only way humanity could stave off a mass extinction crisis, as devastating as the one that killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, would be to set aside half the planet as permanently protected areas for the ten million other species. “Half Earth,” in other words, as I began calling it—half for us, half for them. A version of this idea has been in circulation among conservationists for some time.

In ‘Half Earth,’ E.O. Wilson Calls for a Grand Retreat

Can the World Really Set Aside Half of the Planet for Wildlife?

Massive connected tracts of land and ocean are required to avoid mass extermination of species with unknown implications. Re-wilding of the land and the oceans is perfectly feasible. We are simply not protecting enough of the planet.

Already, wild terrestrial mammals constitute only 3% of the total terrestrial mammal biomass.

We need to imagine Ireland with half our land area as strictly protected national park. People can still visit, but they cannot build, farm, pick, shoot, poison, fish, chop vegetation or collect wood.

Ireland has only 650km2 of National Park for just under 1% of our land area. Half-Earth would imply an increase of the area by a factor of 50.

We need to let Nature rip or our species is gonna die nasty.
    MAKE DUBLIN GREAT AGAIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    Earths real environmental problem is direct co-opting or destruction of natural ecosystems by humans. "Climate Change" is, for the most part, a bullshít scam pushed by UN bureaucrats, professional parasites, fraudsters, activist wingnuts and corporate criminals. We could eliminate all CO2 emissions tomorrow and the planet would still die. Climate Change is beside the point. The only way to save the diversity of life on planet Earth from direct destruction by human beings is to designate half of it's land and sea area as strictly protected reserve. This is the startling claim of Edward Wilson, based on a lifetime's study of the mathematics of island biogeography

Massive connected tracts of land and ocean are required to avoid mass extermination of species with unknown implications. Re-wilding of the land and the oceans is perfectly feasible. We are simply not protecting enough of the planet.

Already, wild terrestrial mammals constitute only 3% of the total terrestrial mammal biomass.

We need to imagine Ireland with half our land area as strictly protected national park. People can still visit, but they cannot build, farm, pick, shoot, poison, fish, chop vegetation or collect wood.

Ireland has only 650km2 of National Park for just under 1% of our land area. Half-Earth would imply an increase of the area by a factor of 50.

I'm allowing my garden to be an insect hotel at the moment. We even have bees.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great idea - a simple standard to strive for. He’s been advocating this for quite some time, I believe.

It goes without saying that Ireland is utterly pathetic in this regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post

Obviously a plot to deprive the poor of their only means of sustenance. The powerful and wealthy elite 1% will use their power with governments and the UN to herd those of lesser importance onto strictly controlled reservations to allow wealthy and spoiled billionaires like Donald Trump's sons to play at being big game hunters. The "nature loving" shtick is just an alarmist scam to grab power.

Peculiar also that the "nature loving" Volatires of the world treat the nature in the oceans with complete contempt, ripping up pristine environments like the Great Barrier Reef to export coal.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Politics.ie Member Angular Merkel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to know what is the role of the Antichrist in all of this since l happen to be the Antichrist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Angular Merkel View Post
    I want to know what is the role of the Antichrist not in all of this since l happen to be the Antichrist
    Howya, AntiChrist, how is it hanging?
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It is conceptually a fantastic idea and one that would probably buy us an extra few hundred years to properly develop at a fast enough pace to come up with a long term solution
    Alas, greed trumps all, and the die is cast
    Unless we get lucky, it (we) will all be gone in a few hundred years tops

Politics.ie Member Angular Merkel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To Owedtojoy: I have been busy exterminating weeds in my Dominion...

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Howya, AntiChrist, how is it hanging?
    Not by the wrists, anyway.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think a reduction in the global population would necessary for it to happen. That sounds harsh but all it would require really is for people to stop having so much sex.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast