Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NATO Summit

Politics.ie Member Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default NATO Summit

A NATO summit is being held in Brussels this coming Thursday and Trump is scheduled to meet Putin for bilateral talks in Helsinki several days later. There is much speculation that Trump is about to initiate some major policy changes that could have serious security consequences for Europe.

Trump is has highlighted the disparity between European and American defence spending(in % GDP terms) and the the consequent imbalance in material commitment to NATO. The agreed target defence spend for NATO members is 2% but only USA and a small minority of other NATO states meet that target. Trump is particularly focused on Germany’s notably poor 1.2% GDP spend. A report last year highlighted the very poor levels of operational equipment within the German armed forces with only 30% of their combat aircraft and 50% of the tanks serviceable. Most other european NATO militaries serviceability levels are not much better. Germany and most of the others are gradually increasing their spend but not fast enough for Trump.

Trump said the following at a campaign rally in Montana recently...

I said, you know, Angela, I can't guarantee it, but we're protecting you, and it means a lot more to you than protecting us because I don't know how much protection we get by protecting you.
    I'm going to tell NATO, you got to start paying your bills. The United States is not going to take care of everything.
    We are the schmucks that are paying for the whole thing.
    The Pentagon is currently conducting a study of whether to withdraw some or all of the 35,000 US troops based in Germany and the White House has requested that this be expedited.

A recent Telegraph article quotes an unnamed senior diplomatic source...

We could be in a situation where, between them, Trump and Putin will come up with some dodgy deal that they'll try to portray as a political win to both their countries but will ultimately leave Europe exposed and vulnerable at a crucial moment in our history with so much instability on the continent
    He further speculates that Mr Trump could use the offer of cutting back the US military presence in Europe to secure a reciprocal assurance from Mr Putin in Helsinki that Russia will use its influence on Tehran to help secure the withdrawal of Iranian troops from Syria but that Mr Putin's ability to achieve Iran's withdrawal from Syria was questionable, and warned against Mr Trump making any offer in exchange for a false promise.

Russia pretends it can deliver to achieve these short-term aims. They just need the hook to get [Trump] on.

We need to be in a very strong position in the West to negotiate with Russia ... [which would be threatened by] cutting some kind of theoretical deal which sounds purely naive.
    Is Trump about to trash the security architecture that has kept the peace and prosperity in Europe(mostly) for the the past 70 years?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...to-nato-summit

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...troops-europe/

Poor State of German Armed Forces Revealed; Only 30% of Fighters and Under 50% of Tanks Serviceable
    Is not this the great Babylon that I have built.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Trump about to trash the security architecture that has kept the peace and prosperity in Europe(mostly) for the the past 70 years?

Hopefully Not.
    Ireland, home of the Happy Clappy Feel Good Abortion

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they must know by now not to trust Trump with any classified information.

His biggest secret to impart to Putin will be whether he uses Clairol or LOreal.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    I think they must know by now not to trust Trump with any classified information.

His biggest secret to impart to Putin will be whether he uses Clairol or LOreal.
    13 hours solid posting from you today you are clearly deranged

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post

Wd40 I'd say.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweenyTodd View Post

Hopefully Not.
    IMO as part of managing the Trump problem Europe needs to up its defence capabilities. Give Trump something that he can claim as a personal success at this meeting and so keep the USA committed to NATO. Don’t give him the justification to walk away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

70 years of progress, of security, of largely peace, of prosperity and economic expansion as we have never seen.
    Of monstrous strides in education, literacy, healthcare and life expectancy

All perhaps, pissed away on the whim of a moron, who feels closer ties with despots, tyrants and dictators is more preferable.

What could possibly go wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But meanwhile the German Finance Minister Olaf Scholz, of the Social Democrats(SPD) is playing politics on the issue, blocking Merkel’s modest attempts to improve Germany’s military capabilities. The Defense Ministry has calculated that only a fifth of its needs would be covered by the new budget in the coming years.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    But meanwhile the German Finance Minister Olaf Scholz, of the Social Democrats(SPD) is playing politics on the issue, blocking Merkel’s modest attempts to improve Germany’s military capabilities. The Defense Ministry has calculated that only a fifth of its needs would be covered by the new budget in the coming years.
    Russia has always been infiltrating the SPD, a great party, that doesnt need that scum.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweenyTodd View Post

Hopefully Not
    NATO's role now seems to be bombing Muslims: Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan.

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast