Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Britain owns all our lighthouses!!

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Britain owns all our lighthouses!!

I never knew this was the case. Britain owns and subsidises all Irish lighthouses, and pays several thousand pounds in tax to the Revenue Commissioners. Apparently some British Lord has been getting uppity about the situation, demanding it stops. But why is it so?

Link Here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
    (Guys, when I type in capitals it isn't shouting. I have technical problems which makes using italics difficult. Please don't take offence if you see capitals used!)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let 'em pay! They've occupied this country for centuries - this goes a tiny way towards compensating Ireland for that occupation and all the horrifying consequences that flowed from that occupation.
    'It would actually give me the greatest of pleasure watching non-compliant taxpayers going to jail. That's the kind of person I am.' Bertie Ahern, 1993.

No. I want us to own our light houses and our security forces and I don't want my old ma-in-law in Wexford to have to pay ground rent to some fecker in the UK who has never been there.
    We need a Unilateral declaration of Self-Illumination.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotDevsSon
    The CIL is one of a very few organisations that survived partition on an all-island basis. So did the RNLI.
    Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?

Starkadder

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger
    Interesting that it still is so, maybe it's something I ought to have known. Are the lighthouses thus British territory, in the manner of the Embassy, or is it Irish territory?
    My dad used take me to visit the West Cork Lifeboat, and I always
    wondered why it was called the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

Isn't there a "Prince of Wales" Hotel in the Midlands somewhere?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Truly absurd situation.
    We should of course own those lighthouses and a resolution should be found as soon as possible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All your lighthouse are belong to us.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starkadder
    My dad used take me to visit the West Cork Lifeboat, and I always
    wondered why it was called the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

Isn't there a "Prince of Wales" Hotel in the Midlands somewhere?
    Athlone.

Let the Brits pay for our lighthouses. It's not like they can take them away if the get p*ssed off with the situation. If they do stop paying for them I'm sure we can afford to fund them ourselves. In the meantime we should take them for as much money as we can.
    'It would actually give me the greatest of pleasure watching non-compliant taxpayers going to jail. That's the kind of person I am.' Bertie Ahern, 1993.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're Irish territory obviously.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast