Thread: Denmark's efforts to force integration of immigrants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Denmark's efforts to force integration of immigrants

Denmark, as with the other Nordics, is a highly co-operative society

It seems they are shocked by the insular nature of indigent immigrants

I am ambivalent about their current & proposed response

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/0...t-ghettos.html
    Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments. Other Danish citizens are free to choose whether to enroll children in preschool up to the age of six.
    Some are punitive: One measure under consideration would allow courts to double the punishment for certain crimes if they are committed in one of the 25 neighborhoods classified as ghettos, based on residents’ income, employment status, education levels, number of criminal convictions and “non-Western background.”
    Nearly 87 percent of Denmark’s 5.7 million people are of Danish descent, with immigrants and their descendants accounting for the rest. Two-thirds of the immigrants, around half a million, are from Muslim backgrounds, a group that swelled with the waves of Afghan, Iraqi and Syrian refugees crossing Europe.
    If the proposals dropped the religious tinge, then I think they have some merit

Denmark is offering an opportunity to these immigrants/refugees , and some tough love to make them take it, seems fair

Cyp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Swedes could learn from the Danes but alas methinks the horse has bolted. Staunch feminism has been the ruination of Sweden.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We are about 10 years behind where Denmark is now. 10 or 15 years ago, they had approximately 50,000 muslims and that number has swelled enormously to over 300,000.

There has been the consequent emergence of ghettoes and crime gangs which bedevil an otherwise idyllic country.

10 years ago people would dismiss the idea of tolerant Denmark introducing draconian measures to crack down on immigration but it has happened.

The Danes are simply fed up of it. If you want to see our future look at Denmark or Sweden.
    "Criticising the EU in Ireland in the 2010's is like criticising the Catholic Church in the 1950s. You run the risk of being lynched by brainwashed fanatics." - Volatire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Denmark, as with the other Nordics, is a highly co-operative society

It seems they are shocked by the insular nature of indigent immigrants

I am ambivalent about their current & proposed response

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/0...t-ghettos.html

If the proposals dropped the religious tinge, then I think they have some merit

Denmark is offering an opportunity to these immigrants/refugees , and some tough love to make them take it, seems fair

Cyp
    Same should be applied to the largest immigrant community in Ireland - the unionists on both sides of the border.
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts or the state manipulation of certain markets etc. Free market my eye.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another day another race thread....yippee!

This subject matter couldn't have been fitted into any of the others?
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They will have to learn to cradle mugs, while gazing sombrely at the fog-filled dykes where a body is lying undetected.

I must rewatch "The Killing" - the jumpers were wonderful.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Same should be applied to the largest immigrant community in Ireland - the unionists on both sides of the border.
    There's a whole other type of unionist in Ireland now, and they pose a far greater threat to Ireland than loyalist unionists ever did. The European unionist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenian Boy View Post
    There's a whole other type of unionist in Ireland now, and they pose a far greater threat to Ireland than loyalist unionists ever did. The European unionist.
    Really? What benefits has English occupation (and support for it) brought to Ireland?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Really? What benefits has English occupation (and support for it) brought to Ireland?
    The foundation of the IRA.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Another day another race thread....yippee!

This subject matter couldn't have been fitted into any of the others?
    It's more to do with how other countries are dealing with a challenge we will face soon .
    A man cannot give birth.

Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast