Thread: Dept of Education to review how Irish exemptions are granted

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dept of Education to review how Irish exemptions are granted

Story here:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...ed-848748.html

I had to laugh (and start a thread) over this bit
    Almost 60% of the 3,851 pupils who were granted an exemption from Irish in 2016 went on to study languages such as French, German or Spanish.

A psychologists report is required to secure an exemption, however these are now being queried by senior educational figures, with some believing the system is being "gamed".
    Did anyone seriously think the system wasn't being gamed? Did anyone seriously believe that nearly 4,000 students had some defect that made them incapable of learning languages?

Or was it just that no-one wanted to confront the issue?

Answers on a postcard.

Sorry, I just found it a really peculiar way of putting it. I mean, of course the system was gamed. Of course health professionals will sign off on anything that you pay them to sign off on, so long as they won't be sued. WTF?
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish should be completely optional to study in secondary school and if it was the children who are weak at english wouldnt have to hand over five hundred euros to a psychologist for a report.

Some of the reports are printed off a word processor and ten children will get the same report word for word.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    Story here:

I had to laugh (and start a thread) over this bitDid anyone seriously think the system wasn't being gamed? Did anyone seriously believe that nearly 4,000 students had some defect that made them incapable of learning languages?

Or was it just that no-one wanted to confront the issue?

Answers on a postcard.

Sorry, I just found it a really peculiar way of putting it. I mean, of course the system was gamed. Of course health professionals will sign off on anything that you pay them to sign off on, so long as they won't be sued. WTF?
    There is a severe disconnect between the DoES and reality. Every teacher knows and could have told them about the fact that it is gamed.
    “The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” -Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fact that they studied other languages doesn't really say much.

For some people, studying languages is made exponentially harder because of, for example, dyslexia. Some students, as a result, do not study languages. Others decide that they can put in the effort for one language but not two or three, and so they choose the one that will be of most value to them in career terms.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dept of Education to review how Irish exemptions are granted

Story here:

I had to laugh (and start a thread) over this bit......

Well OP I had to laugh when you quoted the website above as a "Reliable , resource for news ....." why don't you use similar "reliable sources " as Joe.ie, beaut.ie , thejournal.ie .............................................
    they are all copy and paste jobs with a few words edited to make 'em seem real.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fifilawe View Post
    Well OP I had to laugh when you quoted the website above as a "Reliable , resource for news ....." why don't you use similar "reliable sources " as Joe.ie, beaut.ie , thejournal.ie .............................................
    they are all copy and paste jobs with a few words edited to make 'em seem real.
    I don't particularly get the point you want to make.

Would you prefer?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...xams-1.3529550

Or

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ed-848748.html

Or

Dept. To Review How It Grants Irish Language Exemptions. | Kfm Radio

Pretty much word for word the same story, as you say. Are you suggesting the story is inaccurate in some way?
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    The fact that they studied other languages doesn't really say much.

For some people, studying languages is made exponentially harder because of, for example, dyslexia. Some students, as a result, do not study languages. Others decide that they can put in the effort for one language but not two or three, and so they choose the one that will be of most value to them in career terms.
    Which really has nothing to do with dyslexia at that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They need to stop compulsory Irish for the LC.

Trying to ram down 'culture' & 'heritage' at one of the most stressful times in a persons life simply doesn't work.
    It's no surprise there's such a negative attitude towards the language.

Nor is there any surprise the lengths parents go to get an exemption for their kids.

Long past the time to make it optional.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    I don't particularly get the point you want to make.

Would you prefer?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...xams-1.3529550

Or

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ed-848748.html

Or

Dept. To Review How It Grants Irish Language Exemptions. | Kfm Radio

Pretty much word for word the same story, as you say. Are you suggesting the story is inaccurate in some way?
    these websites do not produce anything of any journalistic value they are simply copying the work of "real news sources and putting their 2c of value on it " to get clicks.They don't employ journalists , they employ computer operators who do copy, edit , and paste jobs on others' work.In school examinations parlance they are guilty of plagiarism.
    just consider if a reputable "News Source" leaked a "False World Exclusive with all bells and whistles" to find out who is just free-riding on their work.Within an hour or two " copycat websites would have their own version of the story with just small print links to the source of the story.Which company is to to pay damages to the parties defamed in the "stories released " to the world.?
    Last edited by fifilawe; 14th June 2018 at 03:05 PM.

Politics.ie Member Skin the Goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buttercookie View Post
    Irish should be completely optional to study in secondary school and if it was the children who are weak at english wouldnt have to hand over five hundred euros to a psychologist for a report.

Some of the reports are printed off a word processor and ten children will get the same report word for word.
    Well, I suppose it's better than a mimeograph
    A flea can bite the bottom of the pope in Rome

Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast