Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Intellectual Dark Web, who are they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Intellectual Dark Web, who are they?

The term Intellectual dark web was coined by mathematician Eric Weinstein in January of this year at the masonic theater during a discussion with Sam Harris and Ben Sharpiro, Sam Harris then titled his podcast of this discussion "The intellectual Dark Web" , the term was later magnified and an attempt made at listing its members in a New York Times article by Barry Weiss entitled "Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web". So who are they, well they are a strange bi-partisan bunch, some religious and some atheist, some left and some right, and at first glance you would be forgiven for thinking they had nothing in common, here is how Barry Weiss characterises their commonalities,

But they all share three distinct qualities. First, they are willing to disagree ferociously, but talk civilly, about nearly every meaningful subject: religion, abortion, immigration, the nature of consciousness. Second, in an age in which popular feelings about the way things ought to be often override facts about the way things actually are, each is determined to resist parroting whatís politically convenient. And third, some have paid for this commitment by being purged from institutions that have become increasingly hostile to unorthodox thought ó and have found receptive audiences elsewhere.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/112-i...tual-dark-web/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/o...-dark-web.html

And here are their principles laid out in the intellectualdark.website,

A willingness to engage in conversations with people who have different beliefs and political viewpoints
    Rejection of identity politics (and a recognition that it has become the dominant ideology in mainstream media discourse)
    Ideas worth listening to
    Honoring of freedom of speech
    People who donít want them to speak their truth and try to silence them
    And here are the names of those listed in the NYT article in no particular order;

Bret and Eric Weinstein
    Ben Shapiro
    Joe Rogan
    Jordan Petersen
    Dave Rubin
    Christina Hoff Sommers
    Gad Saad
    Sam Harris
    Michael Shermer
    Heather Heying.

I first heard of the IDW from the NYT article and was surprised because I am subscribed to all these peoples Youtube channels (Apart from Christina Sommers), I often wondered what those I subscribe to had in common, now it seems they have a title.

There is no doubt that you cannot agree with them all on every subject and its hard to see how this could become a political movement but maybe they could be the forerunners of a movement of people willing to talk to each other, an antidote to the toxic tribalism of partisan politics or maybe they are just a group of angry rich white academics cashing in on their provocative public stances.
    A man cannot give birth.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bo.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    The term Intellectual dark web was coined by mathematician Eric Weinstein in January of this year at the masonic theater during a discussion with Sam Harris and Ben Sharpiro, Sam Harris then titled his podcast of this discussion "The intellectual Dark Web" , the term was later magnified and an attempt made at listing its members in a New York Times article by Barry Weiss entitled "Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web". So who are they, well they are a strange bi-partisan bunch, some religious and some atheist, some left and some right, and at first glance you would be forgiven for thinking they had nothing in common, here is how Barry Weiss characterises their commonalities,

https://samharris.org/podcasts/112-i...tual-dark-web/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/o...-dark-web.html

And here are their principles laid out in the intellectualdark.website,

And here are the names of those listed in the NYT article in no particular order;

Bret and Eric Weinstein
    Ben Shapiro
    Joe Rogan
    Jordan Petersen
    Dave Rubin
    Christina Hoff Sommers
    Gad Saad
    Sam Harris
    Michael Shermer
    Heather Heying.

I first heard of the IDW from the NYT article and was surprised because I am subscribed to all these peoples Youtube channels (Apart from Christina Sommers), I often wondered what those I subscribe to had in common, now it seems they have a title.

There is no doubt that you cannot agree with them all on every subject and its hard to see how this could become a political movement but maybe they could be the forerunners of a movement of people willing to talk to each other, an antidote to the toxic tribalism of partisan politics or maybe they are just a group of angry rich white academics cashing in on their provocative public stances.
    I'm sure Mercurial will be along shortly to tell you they are all stupid, charlatans...and probably Nazis also.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone interested in the nature of consciousness is not likely to waste their time blathering about abortion, immigration, and religion.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Intellectual Dark Web is a pretty naff moniker. Sounds like something a bunch of kids dreamt up in between listening to thrash metal and playing dungeons and dragons.

I do agree with a lot of what the thinkers have to say, though. The Ctrl Left is a much bigger threat to societies than the Alt Right.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Voice View Post
    Intellectual Dark Web is a pretty naff moniker.
    I agree.

Yet freedom of speech is a hugely important asset to humanity, and remains under threat from a variety of sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Voice View Post
    Intellectual Dark Web is a pretty naff moniker. Sounds like something a bunch of kids dreamt up in between listening to thrash metal and playing dungeons and dragons.

I do agree with a lot of what the thinkers have to say, though. The Ctrl Left is a much bigger threat to societies than the Alt Right.
    A man cannot give birth.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    Anyone interested in the nature of consciousness is not likely to waste their time blathering about abortion, immigration, and religion.
    there's still a lot of grumpy stuff going round about intelligence.

By the way, I heard on the BBC World Service that we're all getting less intelligent. I must get a listen at that in more detail, seeing as there are still plenty of people about swearing a hole in a bucket that intelligence is mostly inherited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I agree.

Yet freedom of speech is a hugely important asset to humanity, and remains under threat from a variety of sources.
    Debating contentious issues without resorting to hurling slurs is also important and could well explain the popularity of these intellectuals and highlight the hunger for actual reasoned debate.
    A man cannot give birth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by talkingshop View Post
    I'm sure Mercurial will be along shortly to tell you they are all stupid, charlatans...and probably Nazis also.
    Well one of the things they all have in common is a distaste for the identity politics that merc peddles, and the last thing extreme ideologues like merc want to see is a strong middle ground.
    A man cannot give birth.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast