Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official - British PM not confident unionism would win a border poll !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Official - British PM not confident unionism would win a border poll !!

Well for years unionists and the British have said a border poll is unnecessary repeatedly alleging that they don't want one as it has little chance of passing they like to claim - well if that's the case put it to the test and put the issue aside for a decade or two then so. Even though at the Assembly elections 2017 there was only about 12,000 votes between unionism and nationalism. But under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement a border poll should be called when ""it appears likely... a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland"."

So clearly by May's statement below it's time one was called and no more excuses ?

Theresa May 'not confident' unionists would win Irish border poll
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-36908576.html
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts or the state manipulation of certain markets etc. Free market my eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Well for years unionists and the British have said a border poll is unnecessary repeatedly alleging that they don't want one as it has little chance of passing they like to claim - well if that's the case put it to the test and put the issue aside for a decade or two then so. Even though at the Assembly elections 2017 there was only about 12,000 votes between unionism and nationalism. But under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement a border poll should be called when "if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should …form part of a united Ireland."

So clearly by May's statement below it's time one was called and no more excuses ?

Theresa May 'not confident' unionists would win Irish border poll
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-36908576.html

Appears May is going for the unity option, certainly would save any further embarrassment for the British people over the "negotiating skills" of her and her totally incompetent team of Ministers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Unfortunately for May, she's jus ta bit too early to completely dump NI, at present a vote for Irish unity requires at least a small % of protestant buy in and I just don't see that happening. Also unfortunately for May, she shot herself in the foot calling an election and making the DUP powerful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    Appears May is going for the unity option, certainly would save any further embarrassment for the British people over the "negotiating skills" of her and her totally incompetent team of Ministers.
    Yes, one irony could be that so weak is May that the last thing she'll want is a border poll, remember Cameron sh!tting himself before the Scottish one We'll have to wait until Corbyn is PM - which wouldn't be long.
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts or the state manipulation of certain markets etc. Free market my eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    Unfortunately for May, she's jus ta bit too early to completely dump NI, at present a vote for Irish unity requires at least a small % of protestant buy in and I just don't see that happening. Also unfortunately for May, she shot herself in the foot calling an election and making the DUP powerful.

Like most Brit politicos she is clueless regards Ireland but I reckon her advisors may have told her a unity vote could very well win even if held soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Yes, one irony could be that so weak is May that the last thing she'll want is a border poll, remember Cameron sh!tting himself before the Scottish one We'll have to wait until Corbyn is PM - which wouldn't be long.

Time for change, I suspect, for Britain, as this present bunch of Tory AH's appear to have hopelessly divided the people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Harry Potter is trying to offload NI to get his hard Brexit....

If the DUP didn't know where they stood before they do now....the longer the clock ticks the worse deal and terms they will get down the road........
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Franzoni View Post
    Harry Potter is trying to offload NI to get his hard Brexit....

If the DUP didn't know where they stood before they do now....the longer the clock ticks the worse deal and terms they will get down the road........
    I thought that myself. The DUP could now secure a fantastic deal for the PUL community of NI within a UI, including protected minority status, an Ulster scots act, an interpretive centre or two, maintaining a devolved parliament at Stormont, massive infrastructural investment, the works. They're risking becoming part of a UI with no concessions at all as time goes by.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    I thought that myself. The DUP could now secure a fantastic deal for the PUL community of NI within a UI, including protected minority status, an Ulster scots act, an interpretive centre or two, maintaining a devolved parliament at Stormont, massive infrastructural investment, the works. They're risking becoming part of a UI with no concessions at all as time goes by.
    As we established in the other thread, the DUP can't even seize the opportunity to secure a fantastic deal within the UK, never mind in a UI.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Endanger the unity of the United Kingdom" Has she only just noticed? That has been just one of the major problem presented by the Referendum Bill 2015.

I posted a thread on this in 2014.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast