Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Teaching Council

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Teaching Council

Under the Teaching Council Act, 2001, all teachers in state funded schools are required to register with the Teaching Council. Prior to this year, the Council was funded by the State, but now becomes a self-funding body.

The Council have therefor asked 70,000 teachers to pay an annual registration fee of €90. This amounts to potential income for the Council of:

€6,300,000

In the FAQ on the Council's website, the Council explain what this will be used for:

"The fee will be used to fund the operations of the Council across all areas of its work. The main items of expenditure are projected to be staff costs (including dedicated Garda vetting staff, qualification verification staff, registration staff, IT staff, communications and education staff) , costs associated with communications (mailings to teachers, design and print of publications, establishment of new web-site etc.), research (including commissioned research, research bursaries etc.), IT costs (mainly to support the ongoing maintenance of the Register of Teachers), legal fees, office management costs (rent, light, heat etc.)."

Are there any teachers on the Forum?

Why are you conceding to such utter rubbish?
    The only way to change the world is to win elections.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Teaching Council

Quote Originally Posted by qtman
    Under the Teaching Council Act, 2001, all teachers in state funded schools are required to register with the Teaching Council. Prior to this year, the Council was funded by the State, but now becomes a self-funding body.

The Council have therefor asked 70,000 teachers to pay an annual registration fee of €90. This amounts to potential income for the Council of:

€6,300,000

In the FAQ on the Council's website, the Council explain what this will be used for:

"The fee will be used to fund the operations of the Council across all areas of its work. The main items of expenditure are projected to be staff costs (including dedicated Garda vetting staff, qualification verification staff, registration staff, IT staff, communications and education staff) , costs associated with communications (mailings to teachers, design and print of publications, establishment of new web-site etc.), research (including commissioned research, research bursaries etc.), IT costs (mainly to support the ongoing maintenance of the Register of Teachers), legal fees, office management costs (rent, light, heat etc.)."

*Bump*

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

€6,300,000

*Bump*
    I think I got bumpf from them in the past and ignored it.

But I'm out of teaching and not planning to go back so maybe it's a moot point but since it wouldn't be in a position to help me do the job any better, I'd be pretty reluctant to pay it. given the choice.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've so far avoided this - don't know how - is it only for those permanent people or something? I haven't been teaching for too long. (maybe I threw their letter in the bin by mistake - there's a lot of reader's digest junk mail)

I'm sorry I opened this thread - now I can't plead ignorance anymore.

And six and a half million is a lot of money for what actually? Are they stockpiling something? Mother of God.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no choice!

No reg = No pay!

its a total joke, mess, nightmare and makes very little sense.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

€6,300,000

Hey Im just filling in my application now as it happens.

In general terms, the code of conduct is fine and dandy but in reality there is no meat to it!!
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D.Harry
    It just goes to demonstrate the utter passivity of the teacher unions when it comes to their members' interests. Where is the gain for the teachers for their 90 euros?
    We (they?) get to pay for other people to sit in nice warm offices with lots of resources and support staff of course...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It just goes to demonstrate the utter passivity of the teacher unions when it comes to their members' interests. Where is the gain for the teachers for their 90 euros?

I'm a teacher and I think the unions are too strong. They defend the interests of those teachers who are ************************!! They wont support their sanction
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I started the thread because my wife has to pay it it.

She barely even queried it.

I think its some sort of PAYE mindset ie if an official looking letter arrives in the post you better do what it tells you.

I'm self-employed. Anyone looking for a compulsory payment from me better make sure their life depends on it.

How the hell can they justify a budget of €6.5m for an office, a website and a few publications? And then you 'have to' pay TUI fees on top of that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny

I'm a teacher and I think the unions are too strong. They defend the interests of those teachers who are ************************!! They wont support their sanction
    It was very clear a couple of years ago when teachers went on strike - that awful midweek work to rule - that the unions were well out of touch with what teachers really wanted. It was horribly divisive. ASTI at the time seemed to be in kamikaze mode, people left the Union, past pupils STILL talk about the effect it had on them and I don't think we ever really regained credibility after it. Nasty taste left in everyone's mouth.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast