Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: National Gallery of Ireland asked to take down 'anti-semitic' painting

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default National Gallery of Ireland asked to take down 'anti-semitic' painting

There's an article in the ST today about the NGI being asked to take down a painting by the German painter Emil Nolde because it appears to feature an anti-semitic trope.

The painting, which is called 'Martyrdom II' depicts what appears to be a couple of hook-nosed characters laughing at the crucifixion.

Emil Nolde was a nazi sympathiser but ironically found his work banned by the NSDAP because it was considered modern 'degenerate' art. The Nazis favoured classicism.

The article says that some members of the public complained about the painting being anti-semitic but they are not named.

I don't think NGI should take down the painting, as it's bowing to censorship and would be against freedom of expression. Someone may start complaining that any art depicting the crucifixion is anti-semitic.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...-art-95ppl27bb
    "Criticising the EU in Ireland in the 2010's is like criticising the Catholic Church in the 1950s. You run the risk of being lynched by brainwashed fanatics." - Volatire

Advertising insults our intelligence. The intelligent thing to do is ignore advertising.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dublin City Council flew a flag of the Palestinian Authority, which is a regime that routinely and aggressively advocates anti-Jewish vitrol.

Not a word of concern from the "left".

In fact the left in DCC were behind the decision.

Wascuirto has a thread on the PA, and it's ruthless and continual campaign of vicious hatred of Jewish people.

Silence from the PC brigade.

I have no problem with the removal of the painting. In fact I agree with it being removed.

The same applies to the morons in DCC flying bthe flag of a regime that hate as the central basis of much of what it is about, the PA.
    Who are the chums of the Provisional Cult in the Middle East ? http://predicthistunpredictpast.blog...salute-on.html

Politics.ie Member Ratio Et Fides's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think he was more of a German Nationalist than a Nazi, he was never a card carrying member of the NSDAP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I mean it probably is?

The guy was an anti-semite nazi wannabe. The NGI decided to put on his show anyway. Their call.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    I think he was more of a German Nationalist than a Nazi, he was never a card carrying member of the NSDAP.

He was a card-carrying member of the NASDAP, you amadaun. Ironically, he was also the artist most confiscated by them, when they turned against Modernism.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Advertising insults our intelligence. The intelligent thing to do is ignore advertising.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I mean it probably is?

The guy was an anti-semite nazi wannabe. The NGI decided to put on his show anyway. Their call.
    To be honest, the individual that they are sneering, is also Jewish. In fact he is descended from King David, of the Jews, who gave the Jewish people their flag.

Does nobody have empathy for the victim ? [ who happens to be Jewish ].
    Who are the chums of the Provisional Cult in the Middle East ? http://predicthistunpredictpast.blog...salute-on.html

Politics.ie Member Ratio Et Fides's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It is interesting that he was given the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany by the American set-up in Germany in either the late 40s or 50s yet he is considered too "Nazi" for Dublin today.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Guardian dosen't like Emil Nolde's work anyway. The article refers to 'the fear and loathing in Nolde's art being directed at antisemitic Jewish characters'.
    "Criticising the EU in Ireland in the 2010's is like criticising the Catholic Church in the 1950s. You run the risk of being lynched by brainwashed fanatics." - Volatire

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I mean it probably is?

What are Boris Becker and Shane McGowan doing there?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    The Guardian dosen't like Emil Nolde's work anyway. The article refers to 'the fear and loathing in Nolde's art being directed at antisemitic Jewish characters'.
    Right. But in this painting that's exactly what's happening. It's anti-semitic. He was an anti-semite. That doesn't mean his work didn't have impact or should be hidden away.

You can watch Triumph of the Will and appreciate the film making and effectiveness of it without sympathising with it's goals.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast