Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Post-birth Abortions

Default Post-birth Abortions

This OP was inspired by reading on another thread where some pro-choice advocate was laughing at the extreme comments of the other side, saying that they looked upon abortion as if it was like taking a baseball bat to a new born child!

But actually this subject does raise serious issues that are not as far from that image as one would hope? What pro-choice activists will at some time have to address is the reality behind post-birth abortions, sometimes called botched abortions, where the child is born alive and then has to be killed or left to die. It is true that these are by no means most cases of abortion, but if its alright to have an abortion debate in Ireland talking endlessly about the tiny number of extreme hard cases, rape, incest etc, then I am afraid it is alright to talk partial birth abortions, which are not all that rare.

Its a major issue that we would need to have at least guidelines on, for example in a newspaper report on this in the Evening Standard in London they talk about the UK guidelines:
    "Guidance from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommends babies over 22 weeks which survive abortion should have their hearts stopped by lethal injection but this can be a difficult procedure for doctors.
    Professor Stuart Campbell, an eminent obstetrician whose 3D scan images of babies "walking in the womb" have fuelled the debate over late abortions, said: "It is a distressing situation when these babies are being born alive."
    ( https://www.standard.co.uk/news/66-b...g-6690810.html .)
    The difference between post-birth abortion and infanticide is hard to fathom when you consider those UK guidelines. Anyway whats noticeable about this issue is the way that it tweaks the conscience of people that, for some reason, previously refused to recognise the humanity of the unborn child, more from the above newspaper report for example:
    "A baby born alive after a botched abortion at 21 weeks is among the worst cases reported in the UK. The little girl, who had Down's Syndrome, lived for three hours after being delivered. Her parents claim they were "coerced" into a termination by staff at Macclesfield District General Hospital. They were later told that their baby had not "really" been alive, even though she was clearly breathing. The couple, who do not wish to be named, already had a toddler, a teenager and a 12-year-old with learning difficulties and felt unable to cope with another special needs child. The 44-year-old mother said: "If I had been given any idea that the baby would be born alive after an abortion I would never have gone through with it. They coerced me.

"I have seen how society treats children with disabilities and it frightened me to bring another special needs child into the world, but somehow we would have coped with it."Two days before the abortion in March 2004, the woman was given tablets which she was told would kill the baby in the womb. But to their distress the baby was still clearly moving. They went back to hospital and were assured that the baby would die during labour. Soon after birth, however, both parents saw it gasping for air."
    It really is an issue that comes up, as in this account of an Irish nurse working in Australia relates (thanks to Ger18 for this link btw):

Here are some abortion clinic workers in the U.S. talking about this heart warming subject:

Remember the proposal before us is for Ireland to have one of the most liberal abortion regimes in the world so there is no point is people denying this, the above will be the reality - albeit in some extreme cases - in Irish hospitals if this goes through.
    Last edited by scolairebocht; 9th March 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Caren Mat trained? How does it come about that a nurse with no mat training on record is left alone on a unit where women are giving birth, while the only other nurse heads off on her lunch break? Answers on a postcard to.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose there should be a rallying call for the pro-choice side which is the opposite of the rallying call for the O'Taliban.

Although 'Off Both' could seem a bit harsh and misleading.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder what kind of person could perform an abortion in which the baby is born still alive, and then go back and do another one.
    We will never meet God. We will never meet alien life either apart from microbes. Biodiversity is Earth's only true treasure and our only companions in eternity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the US they have post birth abortion for kids in school. They call the policy NRA.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how many of the women claiming to have had an abortion and now regretting it are actually O'Taliban in disguise.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    Is Caren Mat trained? How does it come about that a nurse with no mat training on record is left alone on a unit where women are giving birth, while the only other nurse heads off on her lunch break? Answers on a postcard to.....
    She said she wasn't directly looking after that patient. Perhaps she was looking after gynae surgical patients. You know as an agency nurse you could land anywhere in a hospital.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
    I wonder what kind of person could perform an abortion in which the baby is born still alive, and then go back and do another one.
    The US passed a law earlier this year to obligate healthcare workers to provide care to babies born alive during abortions.

Over 150 Democrats actually voted against it.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps because they know it is a trojan horse pile of religious shyte.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Are you saying all the people in the above videos and text are actors and that this just does not happen?

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast