Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Ronan Mullen be banned from the public airwaves?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should Ronan Mullen be banned from the public airwaves?

I've heard Senator Ronan Mullen a few times recently on the public airwaves, most recently this morning with Sean O'Rourke. On each occasion, particularly where he's faced with a female - he is rude, aggressive, dismissive of women, hectoring, bullying and uses disgusting imagery. I'm far from being a PC person, but his behaviour is way beyond the pale.

He seems to get away with it because he's opining on the sacred cow of abortion and therefore anything goes. If it were any other aspect of Irish society, people just wouldn't tolerate it.

Personally I think a stop should be put to his poison and he should be banned off the public airwaves.

Quite how he got elected by the NUI is beyond me. He'll surely be kicked well and truly out if he tries to run again.

A public representative with a thoroughly unlikable and disgusting approach to debate.
    Last edited by TheField; 9th March 2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: temper language

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I disagree strongly with most of his views on social issues but I am strongly opposed to censorship of those views. If this was the 18th century you were censored it you called for Catholic Emancipation or supported the French Revolution or criticised the king. Censorship is a political-boomerang and todays throwers will be tomorrows recipients of that boomerang.

As for wondering how he was elected by NUI. There has always been a traditional social/economic conservative seat in the Seanad for the university panel in elections. Also a lot of it is likely from older, more religious ex students.
    Jobs not Mobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ultimately he is an elected public representative. Clearly his views and way of explaining them appeal to some sections of he public.

If you oppose his views you should see him as an asset.

If you support them but deplore the way he expresses them then other spokespeople will have to step up to the plate.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I disagree strongly with most of his views on social issues but I am strongly opposed to censorship of those views. If this was the 18th century you were censored it you called for Catholic Emancipation or supported the French Revolution or criticised the king.
    The liberals are the real right wingers in life. They don't want debate and shout down other people who differ from them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he needs to get laid..then he will be ok..
    OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT! NO, WE AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT! OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macs magic View Post
    The liberals are the real right wingers in life. They don't want debate and shout down other people who differ from them.
    I dont even call them liberals as they support censorship. They are the sons and daughters of the people who censored James Joyce and Playboy magazine. The ideology has changed from Right to Left, but the gene that makes them want to ban stuff is very active in them still.
    Jobs not Mobs.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't censor his views, but he appears to be far too much of a platform by the media.

I have yet to identify who he represents, apart from a capacity to run an extremely effective campaign for a university senate place.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I disagree strongly with most of his views on social issues but I am strongly opposed to censorship of those views. If this was the 18th century you were censored it you called for Catholic Emancipation or supported the French Revolution or criticised the king. Censorship is a political-boomerang and todays throwers will be tomorrows recipients of that boomerang.

As for wondering how he was elected by NUI. There has always been a traditional social/economic conservative seat in the Seanad for the university panel in elections. Also a lot of it is likely from older, more religious ex students.
    I don't think the OP takes issue with his views. Its more his boorish behaviour.

Also are SIPO investigating his foreign fundraising or is it only one side bring targetted
    Nurse Noel saved my Babehhh

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that's largely correct.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    I don't think the OP takes issue with his views. Its more his boorish behaviour.

Also are SIPO investigating his foreign fundraising or is it only one side bring targetted
    There is plenty of pushiness from the Left too.
    Jobs not Mobs.

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast