Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: On the Buses - Go Ahead get the Green Light from SDCC for Depot in Walkinstown - cui bono?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default On the Buses - Go Ahead get the Green Light from SDCC for Depot in Walkinstown - cui bono?

On the Buses - Go Ahead get the Green Light from SDCC for Depot in Walkinstown - cui bono?

Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh

- or cry...

From next November UK Transport Group will be operating a fleet of Our Buses out of the Ballymount rd Walkinstown

- a most unsuitable location BTW as from my days working around there the whole area is a traffic Blackspot

- and that was 2 Booms ago!

Anyway can anyone see what gain there is to fare paying passengers to handing over 10% of routes to a Private Bus Company with a patchy record of service it would seem in other places they operate ?

Even if they were efficient it is hard to see what gain there would be as I know from around Blanch - where a number of routes they will be taking over - that they probably are as efficient as they are ever going to get

The State will still own the Buses BTW and set fares routes and timetables

- but is anyone so naïve that that will last...?

Plans for a major new bus depot near Walkinstown in Dublin that will be used by UK firm Go-Ahead to operate bus routes on the outskirts of the capital have been given the all-clear by South Dublin County Council.
    The depot, located at a former DHL distribution hub to the west of the city, will be used to house about 98 vehicles from the 125-strong bus fleet that will be operated by Go-Ahead. Last year, the firm won a contract to operate about 10pc of Dublin Bus routes in the outer metropolitan area.
    Go-Ahead plans to start operating the 24 routes next November. It will be using a fleet of 40 single-decker buses and 85 double-deckers. It will employ 350 drivers and 90 office and maintenance staff.

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36609443.html
    Last edited by Catalpast; 7th June 2018 at 09:22 AM.
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good its about time that the state monopoly transport service ended in this country.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Good its about time that the state monopoly transport service ended in this country.
    Dublin Bus is now quite a good service overall

- not perfect but a huge improvement on even 10 years ago

I cant see what the ordinary fee paying passenger will gain here

Looking at the routes operating in and out of Blanchardstown SC its hard to see them surviving in their current format

- as they are clearly coach & horses routes at the moment rather than Cash Cows

Only a matter of time until Go ahead approach the Government of the day with a new 'Plan'....
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comprtition is badly needed.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to see no-one's rushing to judgement, anyway.....
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I cannot see the gain for the consumer here TBH

Will Dublin Bus State subvention be cut by 10% as well

- or will they at least be able to plough that into other areas?

Politics.ie Member APettigrew92's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Should've gotten in the French, the Dutch or the Belgians.

A quick bus ride through the streets of London will soon teach you that the British couldn't organize reliable transport if they had one street in the town.

The trend of privatizing public services is dying a death. It turns out that without reliable competition, the same inefficiencies and abuses seep into the esprit du corps as it would.

The only difference is the money is being exported to a multinational rather than being reintroduced to the local market. Public transport should be a civil right as much as clean streets.

To entrust public services to private companies not interested in the welfare of a given public is madness and only post-Thatcherite zombies still truly believe in the power of privatization. You need only look at the recent Carillion debacle to understand the levels of depravity going on in the private sector.
    Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - Latin Proverb

Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    I cant see what the ordinary fee paying passenger will gain here
    Its not designed to help the fare paying passenger - its designed to line the pockets of transport multinationals.
    Separate Church and State

Well, this will drive wages down. Probably working conditions as well.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    I cannot see the gain for the consumer here TBH

Will Dublin Bus State subvention be cut by 10% as well

- or will they at least be able to plough that into other areas?
    Yes the subvention will be cut as it is based on passenger kilometres. the gain for commuters is that the NTA will be able to keep the cost of providing bus services lower by employing non-CIE companies who won't be subject to the same union restriction as all state run operations.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast