Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 516

Thread: Abortion - The Male Perspective

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Abortion - The Male Perspective

    There's a lot of talk about Repealing the 8th and how it has affected women's lives in Ireland over the decades. In every argument about abortion we only hear about women's rights or the rights of the unborn, depending on which side you're on.

    What about men's rights? What if the father doesn't agree with the mother's decision to abort the pregnancy...

    I'm not suggesting that a woman should be forced to continue with a pregnancy based on the fact the father of the child wishes to see the fetus brought to birth.

    All things being equal, a father should be able to relinquish his rights to a child and therefore not pursued for maintenance from the mother.

    Why should women get to choose whether or not they want a child, while men must continue to pay maintenance, etc. for children they've never wanted and play no active role in the child's life.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    15,184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Tick, tick, tick.....boooom!!
    The more things change....

  3. #3
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    47,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A lot of sleazy savage men find abortion an incredible blessing especially in these days of paternity testing.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    15,184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    A lot of sleazy savage find abortion an incredible blessing especially in these days of paternity testing.
    To be fair, the OP is one of the biggest flaws with the Repeal the 8th campaigners...if I hear someone say yet again it's a woman's referendum I'll scream.

    So surely by the same right as any lady who decides she wants an abortion any male who doesn't want kids should be able to insist on the lady having an abortion - otherwise it's not equality.
    The more things change....

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member mr. jings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well this oughta go well...

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilius View Post
    There's a lot of talk about Repealing the 8th and how it has affected women's lives in Ireland over the decades. In every argument about abortion we only hear about women's rights or the rights of the unborn, depending on which side you're on.

    What about men's rights? What if the father doesn't agree with the mother's decision to abort the pregnancy...

    I'm not suggesting that a woman should be forced to continue with a pregnancy based on the fact the father of the child wishes to see the fetus brought to birth.

    All things being equal, a father should be able to relinquish his rights to a child and therefore not pursued for maintenance from the mother.

    Why should women get to choose whether or not they want a child, while men must continue to pay maintenance, etc. for children they've never wanted and play no active role in the child's life.
    Father's rights are not a priority for the equality ayatollahs. It is shocking how little men care about the issue until it hits them between the two eyes.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Lord Talbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kingstown
    Posts
    3,293
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    "What about us" says a man, blissfully unaware that Ireland is probably the most paternalistic, male dominated society in Western Europe.

    May just cannot come soon enough.
    reduce presidential terms to 5 years

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    desperately coming to terms with my burrito addiction

  9. #9
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    47,362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Talbot View Post
    "What about us" says a man, blissfully unaware that Ireland is probably the most paternalistic, male dominated society in Western Europe.

    May just cannot come soon enough.
    This is crazy- outside the Prods Patriarchy as such doesn't exist in indigenous Ireland.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    To be fair, the OP is one of the biggest flaws with the Repeal the 8th campaigners...if I hear someone say yet again it's a woman's referendum I'll scream.

    So surely by the same right as any lady who decides she wants an abortion any male who doesn't want kids should be able to insist on the lady having an abortion - otherwise it's not equality.
    1. I'm not a campaigner
    2. I've not actually suggested its a women's rights issue - that is what it is made out to be. I do believe abortion is a men's rights issue also, hence why I started the thread.
    3. I don't believe men should be able to force a woman to abort a child. I do however believe men who don't want a child should be able to relinquish all rights to it, therefore not being able to be pursued by the mother for financial or other resources in helping to raise the child.

    What I suggest would be an abortion of responsibility - not life, in the case of men.

Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •