Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1219

Thread: FGM in Ireland

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default FGM in Ireland

    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...land-1.3374033

    This barbaric practise has reached our shores it seems. To no great surprise some of the "New Irish" have imported this practise and we now have a clinic for women who have suffered from FGM. This is a crime and people need to be punished. Not for the IT though..............
    Exploring the concept of human rights in various cultures, rather than simply condemning the practice, allows migrants to grow their understanding, says Kenyan-born Munyi, “so they do not feel something has been taken away. The moment they feel it is being taken away, they feel threatened.”
    I'll repeat this is a crime and should be ruthlessly routed out. In schools where children are at risk of this there should be inspections of kids, as there used to be by district nurses, and kids that have been subjected to this need to have their parents punished. Otherwise we go down the route of the UK where it is rampant and no one has been punished.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Where is Ruth no-Cop-whinger and the other hard lefties on this issue ?

    Trotting off in the opposite direction, I presume....
    Who are the chums of the Provisional Cult in the Middle East ? http://predicthistunpredictpast.blog...salute-on.html

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member mr_anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    As a white male, is this my fault ?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member paulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...land-1.3374033

    This barbaric practise has reached our shores it seems. To no great surprise some of the "New Irish" have imported this practise and we now have a clinic for women who have suffered from FGM. This is a crime and people need to be punished. Not for the IT though..............


    I'll repeat this is a crime and should be ruthlessly routed out. In schools where children are at risk of this there should be inspections of kids, as there used to be by district nurses, and kids that have been subjected to this need to have their parents punished. Otherwise we go down the route of the UK where it is rampant and no one has been punished.
    I'll preface below with fact that i don't know much on the subject,

    Absolutely is should be routed out.

    I would have read that article as, changing people's mindset about FGM can be more effective in stamping out the barbaric practise that just imprisoning parents who condone or support it.

    I would support a two pronged approach, prosecute anyone involved, and work to change mindset on it.
    There is no Keyser Soze

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FUIS CKLAM
    Posts
    15,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    so is FGM part of Irish culture or they aint really Irish so its not part of Irish culture?
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

  7. #7

    Default

    We will not change the minds of those here who believe in it. It will just go more underground. That's the reality unfortunately.

    Valid question above on Ruth Coppinger. This issue is very uncomfortable for certain people to match with other views they hold.
    Somebody grab the script!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    so is FGM part of Irish culture or they aint really Irish so its not part of Irish culture?
    It is certainly not part of Irish culture. We have our own issues, but this is something that has come with migrants from Africa.
    Somebody grab the script!

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wonder how will Amadan O'Reardawn decide to perform his usual virtue signalling on this topic ?

    Perhaps....by deftly avoiding it ?
    Who are the chums of the Provisional Cult in the Middle East ? http://predicthistunpredictpast.blog...salute-on.html

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    I'll preface below with fact that i don't know much on the subject,

    Absolutely is should be routed out.

    I would have read that article as, changing people's mindset about FGM can be more effective in stamping out the barbaric practise that just imprisoning parents who condone or support it.

    I would support a two pronged approach, prosecute anyone involved, and work to change mindset on it.
    Yes I agree that is sensible. However I cannot but notice the lack of loud voices from the feminists movement on this. Germaine Grer was asked to campaign on this she refused as it would stigmitise Muslims. Although Muslims perform the majority of FGMs it is not a Muslim only issue.

Page 1 of 122 123451151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •