Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 165 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Varadkar Confirms He Will Campaign For Liberalising Abortion Laws

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Varadkar Confirms He Will Campaign For Liberalising Abortion Laws

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36536566.html

And he's done in on British radio. Which is....interesting.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he will campaign to liberalise Ireland's abortion laws.

The Fine Gael leader had said earlier this month that he believed 'Ireland's abortion laws are too restrictive and need to be liberalised' and he reiterated that point in an interview on BBC Radio 4 this morning.

Mr Varadkar also said that he would be campaigning to change the laws regarding abortion.

Read more: 'Ireland's abortion laws are too restrictive and need to be liberalised', says Leo Varadkar
    Ill be campaigning for them to be changed and to be liberalised, yes," Mr Varadkar said when asked if he would be campaigning for change.

"My own views on this matter have evolved and I think sometimes the term pro-life and pro-choice can be misunderstood. I think even people who are in favour of abortion in certain circumstances are pro life. I still believe in life. I understand there are circumstances under which pregnancies can't continue."
    Now that bits interesting. The pro-choice movement's been very successful in their work so far as demonstrated by the polling. The discussion is no longer "Will Ireland liberalise its abortion laws", the discussion is "Just how liberal will these changes be".

But Varadkar's statement indicates he's at the more conservative side of that liberalisation as opposed to the more liberal 12 week rule being discussed.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politicians need to stay out of moral decisions.

Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    It is not a 'moral decision' - it is a decision about giving a woman the right to control what happens to her own body.
    Separate Church and State

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's it. There'll be volcanoes in Cavan by morning and plagues of locusts in Monasterevin.

Should be good for tourism though.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many will but some be extremely strident. Really more of a social than a political scenario but as Taoiseach he needs to have and state a stance.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which is why a constitution is no place for something like the 8th amendment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    It is not a 'moral decision' - it is a decision about giving a woman the right to control what happens to her own body.
    It's a moral decision because it concerns what she can do with another human life.
    But back to Varadkar's statement - I don't think he can reconcile abortion on demand up to 12 weeks with any claim to be pro-life. But if he limits himself to ffa, rape and serious health threats, it could very well be a smart political move that will see Martin in big trouble.
    End biased moderation

The language about being for abortion and pro life is the essence of the middle ground. Middle Ireland, which he oft refers to
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So much for diversity
    Same as all the rest of the politicians
    What a surprise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    But Varadkar's statement indicates he's at the more conservative side of that liberalisation as opposed to the more liberal 12 week rule being discussed.
    He may really have mixed feelings about the issue. However, this is also likely a careful political strategy. Tomorrow it seems the cabinet will approve a "repeal and enable" amendment, essentially leaving abortion in the hands of the Oireachtas from then onwards, if passed. Some people will naturally worry where the Oireachtas will take the issue in the longer term. I think all this prevarication is a strategy to soothe people's worries on this score: "look even the Taoiseach has concerns about the issue".
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Page 1 of 165 123451151101 ... LastLast