Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Return of Howth Trams?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Return of Howth Trams?

    "New report estimates it would cost €6.7m to reopen line which closed in 1959"

    The tram line from the Dart to the top of Howth Head was abandoned in 1959, but might return for 'only' €6.7m



    It would be a tourist gimmick, rather than a real transport route. Perhaps next they will look to bring back the Atmospheric Railway of Dalkey...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalkey...pheric_Railway

    I think there might be a missed opportunity though - we could instead build a full luas line in Howth, and run it through Portmarnock Clongriffin and to the Airport - connecting the Dart, intercity rail and the country's largest transport hub.


  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FUIS CKLAM
    Posts
    15,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A hard link from the Dart to the airport would be a good move, tried it a once with the bus connection but meh too messy
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    A hard link from the Dart to the airport would be a good move, tried it a once with the bus connection but meh too messy
    Especially given that the space between Portmarnock and the Airport is fast filling up with new housing. In a few years there will be a new Swords in that gap, with over 100,000 people.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Saith Cainty Dublin
    Posts
    32,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Northsiders.....
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    FUIS CKLAM
    Posts
    15,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    Especially given that the space between Portmarnock and the Airport is fast filling up with new housing. In a few years there will be a new Swords in that gap, with over 100,000 people.
    Swords!!!!! Malahide West man
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    17,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    A new luas line on the route proposed would be a terrible waste of money. The area is rural and the only trip generator are the two end points Howth and the Airport. Serious spending like that will be reserved for Metro North.

    An old timey tram would be a very nice addition for Howth, I hope they get funding.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    A new luas line on the route proposed would be a terrible waste of money. The area is rural and the only trip generator are the two end points Howth and the Airport. Serious spending like that will be reserved for Metro North.

    An old timey tram would be a very nice addition for Howth, I hope they get funding.
    The airport has 30 million passengers per year. The dart connection supplies 16 million passengers. Howth, Portmarnock and Clongriffin have a combined population of around 50,000. Then add the commutter trains from Dundalk and Belfast who would be allowed to connect at Clongriffin station for the airport - and the new housing going in between - Its a good case.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    17,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    The airport has 30 million passengers per year. The dart connection supplies 16 million passengers. Howth, Portmarnock and Clongriffin have a combined population of around 50,000. Then add the commutter trains from Dundalk and Belfast who would be allowed to connect at Clongriffin station for the airport - and the new housing going in between - Its a good case.
    Then the argument is for a heavy rail i.e DART connection. Light rail in a rural setting is nonsense. The luas has a maximum speed of 75km/hr it is designed for a frequent stopping service. There is currently no plans to zone the area north of Clongriffin for a new town. A DART connection to the airport will be required along with quad tracking from Connolly to Clongriffen if for no other reason than to accommodate the large market Dublin airport has in Belfast and the North East as their airports are terminally incapable of providing good route selection and connectivity. This won't be funded ahead of Metro North however so it'll probably be the 40s by the time this comes around.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    Then the argument is for a heavy rail i.e DART connection. Light rail in a rural setting is nonsense. The luas has a maximum speed of 75km/hr it is designed for a frequent stopping service. There is currently no plans to zone the area north of Clongriffin for a new town. A DART connection to the airport will be required along with quad tracking from Connolly to Clongriffen if for no other reason than to accommodate the large market Dublin airport has in Belfast and the North East as their airports are terminally incapable of providing good route selection and connectivity. This won't be funded ahead of Metro North however so it'll probably be the 40s by the time this comes around.
    The area is not rural anymore and is already heavily zoned for housing (has been for years - and a lot of which is already under construction).

    As for the speed - 75km/h and frequent stopping for the Luas. The dart has an official top speed of 100km/h but never reaches it. The average speed of the Dart from Malahide to Bray is 30km/h. Even on a long stretch - say Malahide to Portmarnock the Dart never goes above 50km/h

    The distance from Clongriffin to Dublin Airport is only about 8-9km direct. And intermediate stops would be needed in future.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22,835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    The airport has 30 million passengers per year. The dart connection supplies 16 million passengers. Howth, Portmarnock and Clongriffin have a combined population of around 50,000. Then add the commutter trains from Dundalk and Belfast who would be allowed to connect at Clongriffin station for the airport - and the new housing going in between - Its a good case.
    It's not a great case for those who would want to get from the airport to the city in a short space of time... which would be the vast majority of airport users.

    They would basically have to travel east to Portmarnock and change trains there to get into the city centre.

    Dublin Airport is only 8 miles or so from the city centre.

    It really shouldn't be a monumental or massively expensive project to connect the two with a direct line... whether it's via a LUAS Green line extension or Metro North...

    Tram for Howth... great.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •