Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Troll Who Threatened Senator Lorraine Higgins Receives Suspended Sentence. Good or bad Verdict?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Troll Who Threatened Senator Lorraine Higgins Receives Suspended Sentence. Good or bad Verdict?

I've looked but can't see a thread on this, and am frankly quite surprised given the endless cry of "troll" on this particular website from many quarters.

I know we've had debates about one man's, or woman's, troll being another's erudite poster. However, whatever you think of someone's views, I think we can all agree that statements like:

"I'm also going to put bullets up your f***ing a*** and watch you bleed like a river."
    and,

"I passed you in the street, I'm so close it's unreal,"
    are beyond a simple piece of online abuse.

Assuming that you were the recipient of such comments, do you think the suspended sentence is justified in the circumstances, or that Mr. French should have received a custodial sentence?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36474556.html

(NB Mods, if there is a thread on this and I've missed it, please merge).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good he was taken to court. Nasty individual. I'm not sure if I'd have jailed him (first offence) so not surprised at result. If he starts again I'd expert his arsè in jail.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    I've looked but can't see a thread on this, and am frankly quite surprised given the endless cry of "troll" on this particular website from many quarters.

I know we've had debates about one man's, or woman's, troll being another's erudite poster. However, whatever you think of someone's views, I think we can all agree that statements like:

and,

are beyond a simple piece of online abuse.

Assuming that you were the recipient of such comments, do you think the suspended sentence is justified in the circumstances, or that Mr. French should have received a custodial sentence?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36474556.html

(NB Mods, if there is a thread on this and I've missed it, please merge).
    There is no need for abuse at all, it's entirely possible to engage with politicians without resorting to the abuse that this individual engaged in. That said I think it's safe to assume that this chap has some mental health issues.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder what name he goes by on this site...
    “One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how they found him!

But he looks like a person with issues and apparently is, and is textbook, living at home with mammy in his man cave with little else to occupy him.

Should have been a three year suspended sentence IMV.

Must be awful to be the recipient of this kind of vitriol. Does anyone know what medium was used, FaceAche or something. I thought there were options to block there, not being on Social media (apart from here and some other fora), I really do not know.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchcock View Post
    There is no need for abuse at all, it's entirely possible to engage with politicians without resorting to the abuse that this individual engaged in. That said I think it's safe to assume that this chap has some mental health issues.
    Yes, it was used in his defence but there is no mention of court ordered therapy. You would think that if it is used as a way to avoid a custodial sentence that there would be conditions such as this attached. He seemed to show little remorse, it appears as if suspending the sentence won't have done much good or acted as a deterrent.
    Last edited by redhead; 11th January 2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: double negative!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    I wonder how they found him!

But he looks like a person with issues and apparently is, and is textbook, living at home with mammy in his man cave with little else to occupy him.

Should have been a three year suspended sentence IMV.

Must be awful to be the recipient of this kind of vitriol. Does anyone know what medium was used, FaceAche or something. I thought there were options to block there, not being on Social media (apart from here and some other fora), I really do not know.
    She was sent emails AFAIK, as a public representative her contact details would be made readily available, there's no way to avoid that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    She was sent emails AFAIK, as a public representative her contact details would be made readily available, there's no way to avoid that.
    Thanks, the reports I read didn't say. I must widen my reading!

So easy isn't it to troll public reps. But it appears to be rare enough, unless certain reps/people with public email addresses are staying quiet.

But I'd be on the side of reporting it just the same.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Would jail help or make him worse? By the looks of things he should have been committed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    Thanks, the reports I read didn't say. I must widen my reading!

So easy isn't it to troll public reps. But it appears to be rare enough, unless certain reps/people with public email addresses are staying quiet.

But I'd be on the side of reporting it just the same.
    I'd say most if not all of them have a following of quacks and cranks ....from the bored and lonely to the angry and unhinged
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast