Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 231

Thread: Good Friday Agreement dead

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    16,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Good Friday Agreement dead

    On talkback to day they was back discussing the nature of how alive the GFA was. Sadly I personally think its dead and more to the point has clarified the nature of "Northern Ireland".

    It strikes me that the imposition of conservative direct rule will be strongly welcomed by unionists. This will put the DUP at a place of considerable position of power as they are propping up the Conservatives. The downside is they will equally be responsible for the actions taken by the conservatives.

    Is it time to have a referendum on the nature of Northern Ireland and to divide it into 2 Cantons for administration purposes?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Planet Blanchardstown
    Posts
    25,087
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    On talkback to day they was back discussing the nature of how alive the GFA was. Sadly I personally think its dead and more to the point has clarified the nature of "Northern Ireland".

    It strikes me that the imposition of conservative direct rule will be strongly welcomed by unionists. This will put the DUP at a place of considerable position of power as they are propping up the Conservatives. The downside is they will equally be responsible for the actions taken by the conservatives.

    Is it time to have a referendum on the nature of Northern Ireland and to divide it into 2 Cantons for administration purposes?
    Re-partition would trigger Civil War

    The GFA is now a dead letter all right

    - but the DUP know they must make hay while the Sun shines

    - as another General Election cannot be more than 18/24 months away

    From SFs POV they might as well bide their time

    - and hope that JC is the next occupant of No10.....
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member CastleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    9,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    No.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    16,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Re-partition would trigger Civil War

    The GFA is now a dead letter all right

    - but the DUP know they must make hay while the Sun shines

    - as another General Election cannot be more than 18/24 months away

    From SFs POV they might as well bide their time

    - and hope that JC is the next occupant of No10.....
    I do not think we should go for Re-partition just allow the current allow the current councils to align for certain matters that would be currently carried out in the assembly. Not ideal but at least its a working solution.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    16,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CastleRay View Post
    No.

    What is your alternative?


    I admire the way that unionism sticks rigid to its set position 1. For people like myself its time to get something that floats and get of this crazy sinking ship.

    1
    "Many of the survivors said that Hartley and the band continued to play until the very end. One second-class passenger said: Many brave things were done that night, but none were more brave than those done by men playing minute after minute as the ship settled quietly lower and lower in the sea."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musici...he_RMS_Titanic

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    I do not think we should go for Re-partition just allow the current allow the current councils to align for certain matters that would be currently carried out in the assembly. Not ideal but at least its a working solution.
    Re-partition is a non-starter.
    Period.

    The North to be run through the BIIGC if the North's Assembly fails to get up and running.
    " I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster and Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Tory Party into power. " - Eddie "the Gun Runner" Carson, 1921

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9,516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post

    Is it time to have a referendum on the nature of Northern Ireland and to divide it into 2 Cantons for administration purposes?
    Why do we need to have a referendum? Yes, Northern Ireland should be partitioned into a Prod Canton and a Catholic Canton. That should have been done in 1921.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member AhNowStop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    6,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    On talkback to day they was back discussing the nature of how alive the GFA was. Sadly I personally think its dead and more to the point has clarified the nature of "Northern Ireland".

    It strikes me that the imposition of conservative direct rule will be strongly welcomed by unionists. This will put the DUP at a place of considerable position of power as they are propping up the Conservatives. The downside is they will equally be responsible for the actions taken by the conservatives.

    Is it time to have a referendum on the nature of Northern Ireland and to divide it into 2 Cantons for administration purposes?


    Fleggory Campbell was made look every bit the complete troglodyte he is today on talkback ... and mostly be another unionist, Alex Kane...

    No wonder the Assembly is unworkable


    As for re-partition ... ..

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    16,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AhNowStop View Post

    As for re-partition ... ..
    Not re-patition more a realignment of local government. This will be need due to Brexit and the need for local response.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    Not re-patition more a realignment of local government. This will be need due to Brexit and the need for local response.
    Re-partition is a non-starter.

    Period.
    " I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster and Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Tory Party into power. " - Eddie "the Gun Runner" Carson, 1921

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •