Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: How green are electric cars??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arrow How green are electric cars??

Read this the other day as I'm in the market for sparks-on-wheels.

Elec is 20% better than petrol. Or, it takes 80% of the energy to make one. Over a "lifecycle".

' the same report estimated that over its whole lifecycle, the electric car would still be responsible for 80% of the emissions of the petrol car. "

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-electric-cars

Sounds like a great deal, biiiig tax savings for a kinda-half-dacent reduction in CO2. If you're seriously green, keep riding that bike.
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The real saving in transport based emissions will be an increasingly urbanising population and improving public transport in urban areas. Electric cars will fill in the gaps. We'll need to go nuclear soon enough anyway, or buy French nuclear via an undersea cable and hope they always give us a good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    The real saving in transport based emissions will be an increasingly urbanising population and improving public transport in urban areas. Electric cars will fill in the gaps. We'll need to go nuclear soon enough anyway, or buy French nuclear via an undersea cable and hope they always give us a good deal.
    hope?

fücking idiot
    MAKE DUBLIN GREAT AGAIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About as green as wind farms, biofuels and dams - all steadily destroying species and habitats across the globe thanx to the green wash brigade!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    The real saving in transport based emissions will be bicycles an increasingly urbanising population and improving public transport in urban areas. Electric cars will fill in the gaps.
    Bicycles, bicycles, and more bicycles.

Just like it was 100 years ago.

And even 50 years ago.

We'll need to go nuclear soon enough anyway, or buy French nuclear via an undersea cable and hope they always give us a good deal.
    Nuclear is too expensive, and creates humungous amounts of long life toxic waste for which there is still no credible solution.

Anyways, you don't need a Nule to get around on a bicycle.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    Read this the other day as I'm in the market for sparks-on-wheels.

Elec is 20% better than petrol. Or, it takes 80% of the energy to make one. Over a "lifecycle".

' the same report estimated that over its whole lifecycle, the electric car would still be responsible for 80% of the emissions of the petrol car. "

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-electric-cars

Sounds like a great deal, biiiig tax savings for a kinda-half-dacent reduction in CO2. If you're seriously green, keep riding that bike.
    Manufacture of batteries is apparently horrendously "dirty". I've also heard (no battery expert) that the batteries are basically useless after about 8 years which will effectively render the car worthless.

Look into it.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN View Post
    Bicycles, bicycles, and more bicycles.

Just like it was 100 years ago.

And even 50 years ago.

Nuclear is too expensive, and creates humungous amounts of long life toxic waste for which there is still no credible solution.

Anyways, you don't need a Nule to get around on a bicycle.
    Bicycles?

Bbwwwahahahaha

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    Manufacture of batteries is apparently horrendously "dirty". I've also heard (no battery expert) that the batteries are basically useless after about 8 years which will effectively render the car worthless.

Look into it.
    Nah, you swap out the battery for a new one (if you haven't already done so).

Car keeps going.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN View Post
    Nah, you swap out the battery for a new one (if you haven't already done so).

Car keeps going.
    I believe it's not so easy. I wish it was. I do believe that once they solve the battery capacity problem, electric will take off. Would be cool if you could pull into an outlet when your battery goes next to flat, take it out and replace it with a "full" battery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It depends on how they're made. Most carbon emissions are caused through making cars and not the actual driving of them.

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast