Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Paid "Irexit" ads on Facebook

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Paid "Irexit" ads on Facebook

There are now sponsored ads on Facebook, with a swish video, promoting Irexit. They are seemingly paid for by "Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy" - which includes UKIP, AfD and other previously Russian funded astroturf groups.

The ad says:

"#IREXIT – Because Ireland Should be Free to Prosper.
    Ireland is at risk of becoming a powerless EU province. We believe Ireland should strike for its independence and leave the EU now. What do you think? Should Ireland be free to prosper or shackled to the EU?

Watch this video to see why #IREXIT is of utmost political and economic importance to the future of Ireland and please SHARE it – we want everybody to know what is really going on. Want to know more? Join us at the free “IREXIT: FREE TO PROSPER” Conference in Dublin on Saturday, the 3rd of February. https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/irexit"

I wonder do these ads breach Irish political funding laws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

– we want everybody to know what is really going on
    I think we do know
    There is no Keyser Soze

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    There are now sponsored ads on Facebook, with a swish video, promoting Irexit. They are seemingly paid for by "Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy" - which includes UKIP, AfD and other previously Russian funded astroturf groups.

The ad says:

"#IREXIT – Because Ireland Should be Free to Prosper.
    Ireland is at risk of becoming a powerless EU province. We believe Ireland should strike for its independence and leave the EU now. What do you think? Should Ireland be free to prosper or shackled to the EU?

Watch this video to see why #IREXIT is of utmost political and economic importance to the future of Ireland and please SHARE it – we want everybody to know what is really going on. Want to know more? Join us at the free “IREXIT: FREE TO PROSPER” Conference in Dublin on Saturday, the 3rd of February. https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/irexit"

I wonder do these ads breach Irish political funding laws.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0401/86...s-grant-to-us/
    Seemingly the maximum that can be donated for domestic political purposes by an organisation that does not keep an office in Ireland is €100.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interestingly, tickets are 50p (yes, Sterling only accepted) only available from a UK site and you need a UK postcode to get one.

Wonder what Nigel plans for Ireland after we throw off the yoke of Europe? Anschlass?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Interestingly, tickets are 50p (yes, Sterling only accepted) only available from a UK site and you need a UK postcode to get one.

Wonder what Nigel plans for Ireland after we throw off the yoke of Europe? Anschlass?
    The tickets are free. It’s 50p for them to send the ticket to your phone, 1.50 for a mailed ticket. You don’t need a postcode, just enter 0. The website is perfectly clear on both those aspects.

There’s 0 chance of this breaching Irish donation laws.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The tickets are free. It’s 50p for them to send the ticket to your phone, 1.50 for a mailed ticket. You don’t need a postcode, just enter 0. The website is perfectly clear on both those aspects.

There’s 0 chance of this breaching Irish donation laws.
    50p tickets wont pay to rent the RDS. Who paid for it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nigel Farage due to attend. Should be interesting. I don't mind Nigel but homegrown and awayday antifa elements could make it a fraught day.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paddycomeback View Post
    Nigel Farage due to attend. Should be interesting. I don't mind Nigel but homegrown and awayday antifa elements could make it a fraught day.
    I think ill go just to heckle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

50p tickets wont pay to rent the RDS. Who paid for it?
    You seem to have a problem with both the fact that the event is partially funded by donations and AND partially funded by the 50p cost of keeping the website going. Really you could just start your OP with “I’ve no evidence of wrongdoing but down with political discourse!”
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    You seem to have a problem with both the fact that the event is partially funded by donations and AND partially funded by the 50p cost of keeping the website going. Really you could just start your OP with “I’ve no evidence of wrongdoing but down with political discourse!”
    You dont see the irony of an event calling for Irish independence only accepting a foreign currency as payment?

Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast