Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 236

Thread: Dublin Government welshes on deal with RCC. All teaching posts to be filled by Open Competition.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Dublin Government welshes on deal with RCC. All teaching posts to be filled by Open Competition.

    I though I'd get in with this now, before someone else does.

    The Catholic Church has always had the right to directly appoint priests, nuns and monks and brothers as teachers or principals in its State-funded schools; and with thoseappointed then obtaining the usual taxpayer-funded salaries and benefits, such as pension entitlements.

    Catholic school trustees can appoint who they please, so long as they are qualified teachers, with no public competition.

    This right goes back to before the establishment of the State and was confirmed in Church-State agreements made as recently as 2015.

    But according to this news-report - Church control of employment in schools to be scrapped - Richard Bruton, presumably with the full Cabinet backing him, “has asked officials to ‘immediately rectify matters, so that all school posts are filled by open competition’”.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    48,282
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Good news. He who pays the piper must call the tune in this case.
    Save the 27th.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    People`s Republic of Bir Tawil
    Posts
    3,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    About time.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Good news ...
    A few days ago that Australian Royal commission Report came out.

    The first of its Recommendations concerning the RCC was, "Recommendation 16.6 - The Bishop of each Catholic Church diocese in Australia should ensure that Parish priests are not the employers of principals and teachers in Catholic schools".

    Is this now just a coincidence?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    48,282
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    A few days ago that Australian Royal commission Report came out.

    The first of its Recommendations concerning the RCC was, "Recommendation 16.6 - The Bishop of each Catholic Church diocese in Australia should ensure that Parish priests are not the employers of principals and teachers in Catholic schools".

    Is this now just a coincidence?
    It is sadly the case that very often in this country, our leaders are only spurred into action by other govts themselves taking action against an analogous problem. Particularly in the English speaking world.
    Save the 27th.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Hillmanhunter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,553
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    It is sadly the case that very often in this country, our leaders are only spurred into action by other govts themselves taking action against an analogous problem. Particularly in the English speaking world.
    Another way of putting that is that thankfully our leaders recognize that good ideas can come from anywhere, and of course it is easier to understand policy initiatives coming from other English-speaking common-law jurisdictions.

    You'd perhaps be surprised to learn that this is a two-way street, and that large chunks of Irish primary and secondary legislation have found their way on to the statue books of Canada, Australia and New Zealand (but that may not of course suit your thesis).
    UK exports to EU = 48%. EU exports to U.K. = 8 %. RoI exports to UK = 14%. RoI exports to EU = 50%.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    It is sadly the case that very often in this country, our leaders are only spurred into action by other govts themselves taking action against an analogous problem. Particularly in the English speaking world.
    Yes.

    And they'll also have the support of the teacher's Unions.

    There was a fuss in June of this year when Bishop Monahan appointed a priest to be principal of St Flannan’s College Ennis.

    It's a Diocesan College and the priest was already on the staff; but he was the only priest on the staff, and there doesn't seem to have been any advertising of the post or selection procedure. Bishop defends principal appointment – The Clare Champion

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Hillmanhunter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,553
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    I though I'd get in with this now, before someone else does.

    The Catholic Church has always had the right to directly appoint priests, nuns and monks and brothers as teachers or principals in its State-funded schools; and with thoseappointed then obtaining the usual taxpayer-funded salaries and benefits, such as pension entitlements.

    Catholic school trustees can appoint who they please, so long as they are qualified teachers, with no public competition.

    This right goes back to before the establishment of the State and was confirmed in Church-State agreements made as recently as 2015.

    But according to this news-report - Church control of employment in schools to be scrapped - Richard Bruton, presumably with the full Cabinet backing him, “has asked officials to ‘immediately rectify matters, so that all school posts are filled by open competition’”.
    Good, this is long overdue. The Catholic Church (and for that matter all religions) have no right to designate certain members to be public servants to be paid salary and pension from the public purse.
    UK exports to EU = 48%. EU exports to U.K. = 8 %. RoI exports to UK = 14%. RoI exports to EU = 50%.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    48,282
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    We cannot have a situation any more where the RCCs idea of sex education is telling pupils that condems don't protect against AIDS.
    Save the 27th.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillmanhunter1 View Post
    Good, this is long overdue. The Catholic Church (and for that matter all religions) have no right to designate certain members to be public servants to be paid salary and pension from the public purse.
    alii alia dic*nt

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Its none of their business and not within their remit on how any Religion is practised ...

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •