Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Border Fox in church shock

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Border Fox in church shock

Sunday, February 24, 2008

By Alan Murray

The notorious former republican terrorist dubbed the 'Border Fox' has been attending Gospel meetings.

Reliable sources say Dessie O'Hare - who is suspected of up to 30 murders - is professing to be "saved".

But his presence at meetings of a small Protestant congregation in south Armagh is causing distress to relatives of his victims living in the area.

The ex-IRA and INLA man is also reported to have attended prayer meetings in Dundalk in recent weeks.

It is understood that while O'Hare's presence has caused unease within the tightly knit south Armagh congregation, leaders of the religious community are prepared to allow him to continue to worship with them.

No-one connected with the group was prepared to speak about O'Hare's presence at their meeting last week.

But one Church source in the area, who did not want to be identified, said: "My understanding is that Mr O'Hare has become a Christian believer and has attended religious services recently".

But one local man, whose close relative was shot dead by republicans, said: "I have been told that O'Hare attended a prayer meeting in this area recently and it has caused upset among victims,

"It is causing a lot of hurt. This has happened before with terrorists supposedly finding salvation and becoming 'born again' but the victims and their relatives find it hard to accept that such wicked people can be reformed".

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will he be known as The Border Lamb from now on?
    "If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." Lewis Carroll

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Joy
    Will he be known as The Border Lamb from now on?
    Well one thing is for ceratin, when Dessie eventually meets his maker, he's in for a long interview!

I'm not surprised by this though, I always thought he was a nutcase.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only a matter of time before himself and Willie McCrea bring out a cd together !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if he's found God, then I suppose that's postive. Though I wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him.

On the other hand it must be odd for the members of the congregation to have a man in their midst who not too long ago was shooting at them. A sure test of ones Christian forgiveness.
    "Great minds talk about ideas; mediocre minds talk about events; small minds talk about people"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryp
    Only a matter of time before himself and Willie McCrea bring out a cd together !
    Sure they'll have a good chuckle over that one... :P

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alliance
    Well if he's found God, then I suppose that's postive. Though I wouldn't trust the guy as far as I could throw him.

On the other hand it must be odd for the members of the congregation to have a man in their midst who not too long ago was shooting at them. A sure test of ones Christian forgiveness.
    Ain't that the truth.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, a bloke went to mass. Shocking alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say his Gospel meetings and being 'saved' is all based in guilt over the terrible things he's done in his past. If he did what he is alleged to have done then the guilt could be terrible to bear. I have heard of people in history who did dreadful things and when they get older they turn to God to try and find forgiveness and ease the guilt. And if it works dor them well and good. But I can't imagine the guilt will be fully eased until he asks forgiveness of the people he's harmed and who were affected by the things he did. In Judaism on Yom Kippur you say a prayer asking for forgiveness from God, but in the days leading up to it you pray asking for forgiveness of people and you ask forgiveness of any people you may have caused hurt or sorrow to. The reason behind this is that you can't ask forgiveness from God until you've asked for forgiveness from people first. So if Dessie O'Hare is feeling guilty over the terrible things he's done in the past, I don't believe he'll feel forgiven by God until he asks for forgiveness of all the people he's hurt or caused pain to in the past.
    Fight terror, support Israel!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like to think that God will make him endure the pain he put all those poor souls through.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast