Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Soft Brexitt border with Northern Ireland wouldl result in demands that businesses record all their imports and incentivise vast smuggling networks

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Soft Brexitt border with Northern Ireland wouldl result in demands that businesses record all their imports and incentivise vast smuggling networks

    Both the EU and the UK would want to plug potential leaks of billions in tariffs on trade across a frictionless Irish border after Brexit and to prevent vast smuggling networks from developing. The UK vaguely suggested it will track goods when they reach warehouses and final destinations for collecting tariffs. That would require huge increases in record keeping by import and export firms, which might be similar to onerous VAT reporting.

    For instance, instead of checking a truckload of goods at the border and imposing a tariff bill there, customs and excise departments might have to monitor shipments at multiple delivery points on that truck's journey. Each delivery point would be required to record the shipment and make a payment of a tariff. In practice, customs would be overwhelmed by the increase in tariff transactions and would have to rely on self reporting by businesses.

    This self reporting in a frictionless border would create incentives for vast smuggling networks. A truck crossing into the Republic might deliver goods to a customer who pays the bill to an Irish subsidiary company and in collusion with the seller fails to record the tariff due.

    Off the books smuggling would include shipments of goods with no paper trail and paid for in cash.

    Software and electronic tracking could be developed to reduce smuggling and cheating on tariffs but the costs might be greater than the uncollected tariffs. Under the Blair government, the NHS attempted to create a single computerised file for all patients but gave up after the cost proved too great.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    File 'soft border' along with Berties 'soft landing' as complete bullsh1t sold to fools.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    File 'soft border' along with Berties 'soft landing' as complete bullsh1t sold to fools.
    The prolonged Fitzgerald agony seems to have distracted p.ie readers from discussing here the practicalities of Brexit for the border trade.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    Both the EU and the UK would want to plug potential leaks of billions in tariffs on trade across a frictionless Irish border after Brexit and to prevent vast smuggling networks from developing. The UK vaguely suggested it will track goods when they reach warehouses and final destinations for collecting tariffs. That would require huge increases in record keeping by import and export firms, which might be similar to onerous VAT reporting.

    For instance, instead of checking a truckload of goods at the border and imposing a tariff bill there, customs and excise departments might have to monitor shipments at multiple delivery points on that truck's journey. Each delivery point would be required to record the shipment and make a payment of a tariff. In practice, customs would be overwhelmed by the increase in tariff transactions and would have to rely on self reporting by businesses.

    This self reporting in a frictionless border would create incentives for vast smuggling networks. A truck crossing into the Republic might deliver goods to a customer who pays the bill to an Irish subsidiary company and in collusion with the seller fails to record the tariff due.

    Off the books smuggling would include shipments of goods with no paper trail and paid for in cash.

    Software and electronic tracking could be developed to reduce smuggling and cheating on tariffs but the costs might be greater than the uncollected tariffs. Under the Blair government, the NHS attempted to create a single computerised file for all patients but gave up after the cost proved too great.
    My experience of NI commercial drivers was one where many of the laws that seem to be enforced down here are blithely ignored up there. Cash is a big part of that scenario. And that's under present arrangements.
    FF will support, oppose or turn a blind eye only according to what will advance its return to ministerial office.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man or Mouse View Post
    My experience of NI commercial drivers was one where many of the laws that seem to be enforced down here are blithely ignored up there. Cash is a big part of that scenario. And that's under present arrangements.
    The soft border was confirmed in the UK/EU negotiations yesterday.Two cheers for smuggling occupations and a boom in hiring customs and excise agents north and south!

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    17,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    If NI does indeed leave the customs union, buy yourself a van. Items with a significant price differential on either side of the line will be a goldmine

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW of Dublin - Co. Meath
    Posts
    42,540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    Both the EU and the UK would want to plug potential leaks of billions in tariffs on trade across a frictionless Irish border after Brexit and to prevent vast smuggling networks from developing. The UK vaguely suggested it will track goods when they reach warehouses and final destinations for collecting tariffs. That would require huge increases in record keeping by import and export firms, which might be similar to onerous VAT reporting.

    For instance, instead of checking a truckload of goods at the border and imposing a tariff bill there, customs and excise departments might have to monitor shipments at multiple delivery points on that truck's journey. Each delivery point would be required to record the shipment and make a payment of a tariff. In practice, customs would be overwhelmed by the increase in tariff transactions and would have to rely on self reporting by businesses.

    This self reporting in a frictionless border would create incentives for vast smuggling networks. A truck crossing into the Republic might deliver goods to a customer who pays the bill to an Irish subsidiary company and in collusion with the seller fails to record the tariff due.

    Off the books smuggling would include shipments of goods with no paper trail and paid for in cash.

    Software and electronic tracking could be developed to reduce smuggling and cheating on tariffs but the costs might be greater than the uncollected tariffs. Under the Blair government, the NHS attempted to create a single computerised file for all patients but gave up after the cost proved too great.
    Isn't that just what the IRA were doing for years?

    "Soft border" means the status quo, by the way. What you have right now.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW of Dublin - Co. Meath
    Posts
    42,540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    File 'soft border' along with Berties 'soft landing' as complete bullsh1t sold to fools.
    Sounds just like Brexit, then.

    Its like the Red Queen in Through the Looking Glass. She runs very fast but always stays in the same place.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW of Dublin - Co. Meath
    Posts
    42,540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patslatt1 View Post
    The soft border was confirmed in the UK/EU negotiations yesterday.Two cheers for smuggling occupations and a boom in hiring customs and excise agents north and south!
    "Soft Border" = Status Quo

    A border with new excise agents by definition is not a soft border, and has been ruled out by the DUP and the UK gov.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    "Soft Border" = Status Quo

    A border with new excise agents by definition is not a soft border, and has been ruled out by the DUP and the UK gov.
    The agents won't worlk at border crossongs but will be needed to collect customs and excise taxes on shipments at delivery points past the border.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •